SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lightning strike explodes tree near woman on patio.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightning strike explodes tree near woman on patio. Login/Join 
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
only damage was it kilt my modem in the desktop, we figured since the cable line was inbetween the tree and the house, it got a shock,
yet the TV (same cable line) never flickered

Lightening also creates an EMP which can fry electronics that aren't even plugged in.

didn't bother the TV that was between us and the strike, nor anything else,

does have me worried enough to keep an eye out during storms,

does worry me enough to keep and eye out since we had those 2 strike so close, (tho not on the same storm

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sound travels roughly 1000 feet per second, so the lightning is about a mile away if you hear the boom in five seconds.

If everything happens "FLASH..BOOM!" and you're out in the open, get down low or to cover fast.

Posts: 4502 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
This is why I live in earthquake country.

That was good.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8690 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Ten or so years ago my parents had a 20+ year old Pin Oak tree hit by lightning when none of us were home. The tree was maybe 10 feet from the house and split the tree straight down the middle and blew some bark off. The bark or sound wave blew out the closest garage window and some newspaper in the garage was charred. The tree looked mostly normal from a distance and still kinda lived but bugs got in it and it died the next year. Some weird things happened with the house electricity and phone lines if I remember right and there were maybe some minor components that had to be replaced. The Desktop PC CRT monitor got energized or whatever and had a goofy display, I hit the reset button on the monitor and it was all good. My dad was upset because he was hoping to get a new computer from the insurance claim. Everything significant was plugged into a surge protector and there were no issues with those items.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The porch light hardware next to the woman was blown off the wall. Direction of travel would indicate pressure wave. Wonder if it could have been from a powerful electrical surge traveling through the wiring?

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Had that happen at our house - I was in the garage looking out when it happened. Blew our water line, transformer box, and killed 3 trees.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old man was a been there, done that WWII combat veteran. During thunderstorms, he would always drop what he was doing and hide in our garage. As a child, he was sitting on the porch of his home when lightning struck the porch and blew it (and him) off the house.
Knowing what I know now about PTSD, I wonder if the storms also brought back memories of being under German artillery fire.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The cat must belong to a US Marine. "Towards the sound of chaos."

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the cat was chasing after its other 8 lives that had hauled ass before he did. Doc. Brown should be jealous, the cat hit 88mph without a car. Big Grin

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Cat may have been heading for the engine compartment of that Jeep since that lady didn't hold the door open.

Posts: 218 | Location: NC | Registered: February 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I have a healthy respect for lightning. Two instances gave it to me.
First, my Mom was sitting on the toilet and lightning hit the vent pipe on the roof. Blew out the toilet under her. She got out of there quick.
Second, at one time I had a Belgian Sheepdog and a Beagle. I had them on dog runs at the back of my property. About 200 ft from house. The dog lines were aircraft cable. I had each dog hooked to the line with a chain. Lightning hit the big Cherry tree, and it traveled down the lines to the chain and killed them both. Picked my Sheepdog up and threw him into the woods about 20 ft. The Beagle was laying in his doghouse and just went to sleep. My wife and little boy called me hysterical. I came home immediately. It was a sad day.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxdog:
The porch light hardware next to the woman was blown off the wall. Direction of travel would indicate pressure wave. Wonder if it could have been from a powerful electrical surge traveling through the wiring?

Looks like it got hit by a piece of wood.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are just silly, that tree was clearly hit by a 10mm round

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post