SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flower Gardeners...A Late Summer Blooming Perennial?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flower Gardeners...A Late Summer Blooming Perennial? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I have a flower bed that needs some late Summer color. It's main attraction is tulips but they're done by late Spring.

I've been planting various annuals to fill that space which works well but I'd really like to have a companion perennial that I can plant and forget. In my other beds, I have Astilbe to cover late Spring to early Summer and Day lilies and Oriental lilies to cover mid-Summer.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
A perennial that is a late bloomer is blue mist shrub. Good down to zone 5 . are you lower(colder) than that?

Posts: 2546 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Zone 5b. Sorry, should've mentioned that.

I'll check out the blue mist, thanks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15261 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
You seem to have a great resource at the University of Maine.

Poke around in this area, and/or call your local county office, it's listed here, and speak to a Master Gardener.

University of Maine County Extension Offices

The Offices may be closed due to the covid stuff, but it looks like they are working remotely, so you should be able to get someone to advise you what will work well in your particular personal area.

There is a link to ask them your questions.

Alternatively, phone a traditional old fashioned plant nursery/greenhouse in your area, or probably anywhere in Maine, and ask for their recommendations.

Good luck to ya, have fun.

Let us know what you find out, and send pics if you can.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post