SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What breeds of small-medium size dogs does the forum recommend?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What breeds of small-medium size dogs does the forum recommend? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Australian Cattle Dog.

A good friend just got this Aussie puppy. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve never owned a dog in that size category, but years ago, before I was married, I dated a woman whose parents had a miniature collie. Jeez that was a nice dog. None of the annoying characteristics of a small dog; it acted like a collie. Very pretty, very smart.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/bichon-frise/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Johnny 3eagles,

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This little Pekingese is easy to live with. Loves everybody and everything seems to make her happy. Doesn't bark much and is content to do whatever we're doing.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
We are on our 3rd Brittany, all have been very special friends when our kids were home and now with just the wife and I.

There are a lot of rescues out there, Brittany's and other breeds and of course the genuine mutt that would thrive with you all.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Not sure what Shakespear is, but he is one of the best mutts ever.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Shelter Mutt, especially if it has some Terrier mixed in. Wonder dogs.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schipperke

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
We have had Airedale Terriers for many years and highly recommend them.
A Female would probably weigh just a bit over your 40# weight limit.

Very sorry for your loss!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My favorite breed has and always will be Boxers, but now my wife and I have down-sized and we have a Boston Terrier, a great little guy named Bullitt. He is our third Boston and we love the breed.

We own a grooming salon - our retirement business, so we have seen LOTS of different breeds come through our door over the last 16 years, and there is no other small breed that I would pick over a Boston.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Brittney and Springers for us.

Boykins are a neat breed to if you are into spaniels.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m a GSD lifer now but in my youth I had a Rat Terrier that was the best smallish dog I’ve ever had the good fortune of sharing life’s road with…

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve become a huge fan of Boston Terriers since we got our Boston terrier/English bulldog mix 4 years ago. She’s a great dog. I’ve also become a big fan of French Bulldogs since we got our female a couple years ago, but I believe we got lucky with her because she has no health issues aside from itchy skin, which a cytopoint shot relieves her for several months at a time. Both are excellent companions and great dogs. We also have a boxer and an English bulldog but both of them are outside the weight range.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stretchdeputy1:
Schipperke

Bred to bark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6236 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Do right by everyone and go visit the pound and your local rescues.

I rescued a small Beagle a few months back from a local rescue and he's been golden (since I got him potty trained). And though others will say, "Not a Beagle, they howl and bark continuously". Not this one. He rarely ever barks and when he does, it's only for a good reason. Find a rescue and with a little work, you too can have a velcro attachment. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Sorry for your loss.

Uhhh, Beagles LOVE to bark. They are also hounds, making them (typically) stubborn and VERY hard to train. Our Beagle will be out at our fence barking (there is a walking trail in the green space behind my house). I yell at him. He stops, looks RIGHT AT ME, and turns back and continues barking. This is his way of telling me "I heard you, I am ignoring you, I shall continue barking, and you can't do a darn thing about it." That dog CONSTANTLY and purposefully defies me.

I had a beagle for 15 years - and this describes her to a T. There were many times where I'd call her - she'd turn and look at me and then keep on doing what she was doing - usually sniffing something out. She was a great dog, but that always frustrated me.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These threads always turn out to be “what kind of dog do you have”. Rightfully so because everyone thinks their dog is the best, including me.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sreding:
I yell at him. He stops, looks RIGHT AT ME, and turns back and continues barking. This is his way of telling me "I heard you, I am ignoring you, I shall continue barking, and you can't do a darn thing about it." That dog CONSTANTLY and purposefully defies me.
Put a training collar on him and 'teach' him that obeying is far preferable to disobedience/obstinance. Hounds are smart and hard headed, but most certainly can be trained. I have a 14 year old Treeing Walker Coonhound that goes everywhere with me...off leash, and he's never more than 10-20 feet from me at all times. And a simple call, and he's right beside me.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post