SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Insensitive Cultural Depiction, a new movie rating?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Insensitive Cultural Depiction, a new movie rating? Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Watching Lonsome Dove on Starz Westerns last night and when they showed the rating which was R it listed Violence, Sexual Situations and Insensitive Cultural Depictions. Never seen that before is it new or has this been going on for awhile?

On another note I'm watching Have Gun Will Travel right now. This episode has Vincent Price and Morey Amsterdam in it. What a combo to see in this old series. One thing is for certain Vincent Price put everything into his acting regardless of the role. However I think it came so natural to him it wasn't really a effort.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8537 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I've seen something similar. It's probably something you could stick on ANY old western movie. Anything with Indians. Anything pre-emancipation with slaves in it. Old kung-fu movies.... Cartoons.
Our entire childhood was filled with nothing but cultural stereotypes :-)

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Apparently a whore got offended. Big Grin

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its been going on at Disney, we have Disney + for the grandaughter, Mickey Mouse, Jungle Book, etc she's 18 months and likes them.

Jungle Book now comes with warnings about how it has socially incorrect scenes etc etc. as do many of the older cartoons like Steam Boat Willy etc...

I see it as a plus in deciding what to watch!
V N A S is a go!

Posts: 23552 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Wait til they re-rate Blazing Saddles.

They'll probably have an old fashioned hissy fit tantrum. Or a stroke.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Mel Brooks is an equal opportunity offender. He does not discriminate.

There was a guy in my class at the USN Guided Missile School, long time ago. Funny guy, it was always a laugh fest when we went out for a beer. Later life, he was a writer for Mel Brooks, I've seen his name a few times when the screen credits roll.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Mel Brooks is an equal opportunity offender. He does not discriminate.

There was a guy in my class at the USN Guided Missile School, long time ago. Funny guy, it was always a laugh fest when we went out for a beer. Later life, he was a writer for Mel Brooks, I've seen his name a few times when the screen credits roll.

It must be great to work for Mel, if nothing else just so you could use the line "Piss on you! I'm working for Mel Brooks!" wherever you go.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm offended that so many are offended by all of this.
How long before anything made before a few years ago can't be shown anymore due to the PC police and all the whiners?

Posts: 9537 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen "Outdated Cultural Depiction" on the Wessterns channel and others. Usually means my wife and I will enjoy it.

"Evil can never be dead enough" Brevard County, Fla., sheriff Wayne Ivey

Posts: 83 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: April 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That's a new one to me, but I have seen "Smoking" now listed in the movie ratings which makes me roll my eyes hard enough to hurt.
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

We are rushing headlong into this:

Posts: 33860 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Its been going on at Disney, we have Disney + for the grandaughter, Mickey Mouse, Jungle Book, etc she's 18 months and likes them.

Jungle Book now comes with warnings about how it has socially incorrect scenes etc etc. as do many of the older cartoons like Steam Boat Willy etc...

I see it as a plus in deciding what to watch!
V N A S is a go!

Pretty much if it was made prior to 2019 it gets this.
We watch all the old Disney stuff from when it was good and have to sit through that screen frequently.

We watched The Sandlot and was surprised there was not some big long lecture about sexual harassment because of the pool scene.

Funny, I too seek out stuff with these warnings.

Yet for those of us with a more wholesome outlook we have to watch EVERYTHING made now before our kids watch it.
Made the mistake of letting the kids watch Ridley Jones on Netflix without us prescreening it.
Figured it was just an Indiana Jones for kids.
It got shut off lickity split in one scene and will never be turned on again for having nonsense that does not belong in a kids show.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25437 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We started watching Gunsmoke at lunchtime on Spectrum cable to get away from 'news' and wokeism.

Bless my soul, they started a similary worded disclaimer prior to showing the Gunsmoke episodes.

We just couldn't figure out why until we realized we were watching Ricardo Fucking Montelban playing a 'mixed race' Commanche or Apache warrior who likes to kill LEO's.

Talk about cultural appropriation!

So grateful they thoughtfully warned us.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait until they have to rename the Blackhawk and Apache helicopters…

Posts: 461 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
You'all need to get some of the Looney Tunes DVDs.

You "get" to see Whoopsie Goldberg give a spiel about culture - especially the WWII one Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Disney movie should be marked:

"Inappropriate depiction of the devine right of royalty in a movie created in a capitalist republic"

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post