SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eating hot spicey foods when you are sick
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating hot spicey foods when you are sick Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
you'll find that a lot of people said the same thing about moonshine.

That’s because if you’re not an alcoholic, it tends to make you sleep.

Well, these folks must've been - a shot at the beginning of the day was common enough to be known as an "eye-opener". Not that frontier medicine was necessarily sophisticated, but they seemed to believe that it would kill whatever ails ya.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to add, chili peppers are very high in vitamin C, two to three times an orange, and packed with other antioxidants.

So, you are getting the aforementioned affects and a large dose of vitamin C and antioxidants.

ARman

Posts: 3157 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Problem is spicy foods can also cause mucus production causing a drip to get worse.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Here's why you feel better after eating hot spicy foods:

https://www.everydayhealth.com...ling%20of%20pleasure.

When capsaicin – the chemical in spicy foods that makes them so hot, Hot, HOT – hits your tongue, your body registers the sensation as pain. This in turn triggers the release of endorphins, otherwise known as “happy” chemicals that give you an instant head-to-toe feeling of pleasure.

This is consistent with my experience. After eating something really hot (and I have a very high hot tolerance), I definitely feel that little endorphin hit. If you were ailing, this would make you think you were getting better.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I have moderate allergies to grass and dust (basically am hosed all year long) and have long loved spicy foods as they open up the sinuses. It’s a nice pressure relief and seems to last for at least an hour or two. I imagine the same is true for when you’re sick.

As for people rubbing their eyes- a few years ago I was chopping some ghost peppers from the garden, somehow I hit a seed just right and it bounced up off the cutting board and lodged under my upper eyelid. Instant indescribable hell. I wear glasses when chopping pretty much anything now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Doesn't work for me. I have a low tolerance for hot,spicy food.

I just recently gave a jar of Polish sausages to a friend, I ate one of them, pure agony for
me.

But if you tolerate and crave it..go ahead.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post