SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eating hot spicey foods when you are sick
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eating hot spicey foods when you are sick Login/Join 
Picture of p08
posted
We have a local chili parlor that serves a very very hot chili. This place made it to Man vs Food once. Long ago I had the flu and went to eat there with a buddy. Lets just say everything burned all the way through! But the next day the flu was gone!
I have read that spicy foods are good for your immune system. I know I always feel pretty good after the burn subsides.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Spicy Asian soups (like Pho, Tom Yum, Tom Kha, Ramen, etc.) are great when you have a cold, sinus infection, or serious allergy bout.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
My dad would always ask for a bowl of hot, spicy Menudo when he was feeling bad. He always seemed to perk up and get better after that.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I'll make ramen when I'm sick and I make it as hot and spicy as I can handle. I'm usually sweating like a whore in church once I'm done but I feel great.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9700 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Here's why you feel better after eating hot spicy foods:

https://www.everydayhealth.com...ling%20of%20pleasure.

When capsaicin – the chemical in spicy foods that makes them so hot, Hot, HOT – hits your tongue, your body registers the sensation as pain. This in turn triggers the release of endorphins, otherwise known as “happy” chemicals that give you an instant head-to-toe feeling of pleasure.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

When capsaicin – the chemical in spicy foods that makes them so hot, Hot, HOT – hits your tongue, your body registers the sensation as pain. This in turn triggers the release of endorphins, otherwise known as “happy” chemicals that give you an instant head-to-toe feeling of pleasure.

Alternatively, a capsaicin-marinated contact lens has the opposite effect & returns a bout of enduring pain until you can manage to extract it. Eek
Not an experience I'd like to relive.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I figure there's gotta be something to be said for cleaning yourself out through the sinuses, pores and anywhere else. Pho and kim chi are two of my favorite things for allergies, colds and the flu.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

Alternatively, a capsaicin-marinated contact lens has the opposite effect & returns a bout of enduring pain until you can manage to extract it. Eek

I had the misfortune of getting liquid capzasin on my nether bits down below. The burn was exhilarating!

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Hot spicy is good to my liking although when sick. like up-chucking sick, I'm out on just about anything other than oatmeal or some such. I love it hot... so hot you might break a sweat. But oddly, onions and garlic powered do me in. Not a bit of fresh garlic, just the powder which I can taste in an instant. Onions for me taste delicious, but they make me suffer for days so I just avoid them. I wish it wasn't so as I hate asking at restaurants if there's onion in the dish, but I've learned over the years for me it's just not worth it.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

Driving home, I had to pull over to the side of the road in pain. My wife thought I was having a heart attack.

We had just finished eating at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. What caused the pain and for me to pull over was that I rubbed my eyes with my fingers. I didn't bother washing my hands after eating but simply wiped my hands with napkins. I guess enough remained on my fingers and on my eyelids.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19721 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe that’s why I never get sick. Just eat hot food often and avoid getting sick all together.

Posts: 3933 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Big Grin If you check out some of the more everyday references in histories about the US in the 1700s and 1800s, you'll find that a lot of people said the same thing about moonshine. I could swear that's where Dr. Pepper got its old marketing tagline about having one "at 10, 2 and 4!"

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Spicy Asian soups (like Pho, Tom Yum, Tom Kha, Ramen, etc.) are great when you have a cold, sinus infection, or serious allergy bout.

Bun Bo Hue is great for clearing out the nose.

Posts: 4068 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I have used hot chili to recuperate after a stomach bug, but I never new it improved a guy's sex life! (Of course you could have told me before I hit my late 70's!)

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I put Ghost Pepper Salsa on my sandwiches for lunch every day, and I use it to spice up omelets and lots of other food. Been retired for 16 years and have not even had a common cold since I retired. Love that hot and spicy food.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ Big Grin If you check out some of the more everyday references in histories about the US in the 1700s and 1800s, you'll find that a lot of people said the same thing about moonshine. I could swear that's where Dr. Pepper got its old marketing tagline about having one "at 10, 2 and 4!"

Not sure about moonshine, bu t I do know that beer saved thousands of lives. They never figured out back then, but boiling the water for brewing killed the bacteria that cause dysentery.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Pho with lots of sriracha and sliced jalapeños when you’re sick is like golden nectar from the gods.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
^^ Big Grin If you check out some of the more everyday references in histories about the US in the 1700s and 1800s, you'll find that a lot of people said the same thing about moonshine.

That’s because if you’re not an alcoholic, it tends to make you sleep.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

Driving home, I had to pull over to the side of the road in pain. My wife thought I was having a heart attack.

We had just finished eating at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants. What caused the pain and for me to pull over was that I rubbed my eyes with my fingers. I didn't bother washing my hands after eating but simply wiped my hands with napkins. I guess enough remained on my fingers and on my eyelids.

In my case, I took my contacts out about 2 hours after cutting jalapeños, then put them back in the next morning. Searing eye pain & couldn't hold my eye open to get the thing out.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15383 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I tempted fate by posting in this thread. Felt fine yesterday morning. By mid-afternoon, I felt burning in my sinuses. This morning, sore throat and cough, no appetite and a sore neck. I think I'll be sending the wife to get me a huge bowl of pho here in a bit. Frown

Posts: 17221 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
Maybe that’s why I never get sick. Just eat hot food often and avoid getting sick all together.

This is my experience as well. I put hot pepper sauce on just about everything and have been doing so my whole adult life. I don't remember the last time I got a cold.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post