SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking gift suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking gift suggestions Login/Join 
posted
The son (age 22 - 23) of woman I work with is about to graduate from the State Police Academy. She is seeking suggestions for a commemorative gift with a cap of about $300.00

What suggestions does the forum have to offer? I'll be sending her a link to the discussion.

Thanks!

Posts: 63 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a LEO...

1) A nice but durable watch, like a Casio G-Shock or Pathfinder, is always handy. She could even look into getting it engraved with a special saying.

2) One or two high quality pocket flashlights is also great to have. Multiple light options are nice on duty, and he should be carrying a pocket light when off duty too. Many agencies only issue large and/or medium-sized lights.

or

3) If she wants something uber-practical but maybe not very sentimental, she can give him a gift certificate for $300 to an online police supply store or his local cop shop, with the caveat that he needs to wait until he's out of FTO to use it, to give him a chance to figure out what he wants/needs/likes and what is/isn't allowed at his agency, and so he doesn't get tempted to blow it all on useless tacticool crap before his first day on the job. He may discover that his issued boots suck, or his issued jacket isn't warm enough (been there), or that he prefers a different type of handcuff case or a different style of underbelt, etc. (His agency may or may not offer a uniform allowance for stuff like that, and even then, uniform allowances are finite.) He could even put it towards an off duty/backup carry gun if he wants to, if his cop shop also sells guns, as many do. $300 is most of the way towards the cost of a Blue Label Glock.

Posts: 32562 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
More info needed. Is recipient:
Living at home?
Living on own?

Getting at where an item might end up ultimately?

Is there a desire to provide gear of some sort?

Are there any other hobbies/interests that could also be worked in to the equation?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The young man will live on his own in a different state.

Mother is open to suggestions in addition to gear.

Living at home with land available permitted him to enjoy riding four-wheelers and shooting. He'll he moving into the city so those hobbies are translatable to the new location. She really didn't provide any details of other interests. So it is difficult to come up with suggestions for the gift. But I'll relay ideas as they're offered.

Again, thanks!

Posts: 63 | Location: North Central PA | Registered: July 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
Although not quite what you are looking for gift wise, Emotional Survival For Law Enforcement is a book that will likely be invaluable to him. As previously mentioned, equipment will be a great expense, knife, light, gloves, etc. He may need to verify department policy before purchasing as that can be endless with some departments. When I started night shift tin foil to black out the windows and a loud fan for white noise helped for sleeping during daylight Big Grin

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an officer and the father of an Ohio State Trooper, I got a pair of engraved handcuffs and when he graduated, I got him a pair of handcuffs with his name and OSHP logo on it. Also bought him a Benchmade etched with his name and logo

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
For something with commemorative value (that is, something worth keeping forever and handing down), I would get a quality US made fixed blade knife and have it engraved (not just laser etched).

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to give him this Bark River Knives JX4 Bush Bat in CPM-154 stainless. It looks a little silly, until you hold and it and then you realize that it's just magnificently designed.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com...-dark-curly-maple-2/

If you want something a little mainstream, then a fixed blade from Benchmade would be high on my list of awesome gifts to receive. The fixed blade Contego, Infidel, Nimravus, SOCP daggers are all knives that would be awesome.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Maybe something engraved with a bible verse. I like Psalm 82:3-4. I don't know what I would have this engraved on, maybe a pen style hand cuff key. Not on something that is visible to the public of course.

Or if he's Catholic maybe a St. Michael necklace.

Posts: 11175 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A really nice alarm clock!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of good and thoughtful suggestions!

Thank you, I appreciate the assist guys!

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
A Glock 43, S&W Shield, Sig P365, etc. for off duty carry and/or back-up if allowed (more than $300.00, but a lifetime investment). Maybe pool funds with other family/friends.

A good quality one-handed opening knife (personalized etching).

Good quality sunglasses.

A good quality Hydro-flask etched with his last name and agency logo if possible.

Posts: 1815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dmpl:
The son (age 22 - 23) of woman I work with is about to graduate from the State Police Academy. She is seeking suggestions for a commemorative gift with a cap of about $300.00

What suggestions does the forum have to offer? I'll be sending her a link to the discussion.

Thanks!

Benchmade Outlast

Posts: 3204 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post