SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christian Singer Carman Died Last Month :-(
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christian Singer Carman Died Last Month :-( Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
I just found out that Carman died on February 16 of this year, due to complications from surgery. Age 65. I never knew that.

I recall listening to his albums in the early 1990s right after I found Jesus. His music was very instrumental in the early years of my walk of faith.

I saw a concert of his (RIOT album) in the late 1990s - it was an AMAZING show. He was a superb entertainer.

https://www.christianitytoday....-las-vegas-tour.html

quote:
After a 40-year career in Christian music, Carman died in Las Vegas Tuesday night due to complications from surgery. He was 65.

He was a one-name celebrity, and for those who knew him, the Christian singer and showman ranked in the highest echelons of American stardom, up there with the other mononymous divas: Madonna. Cher. Liberace. Carman.

For those who didn’t know him, the single name was repeated as a question. Carman? But if Carman’s star never quite secured its place at the zenith of American fame, he never let that dim his belief in his own celebrity, the awesome power of the concert-show-crusade-event, and his commitment to producing a pop spectacle for Jesus.

“The music is the best means I have of reaching the most people in the quickest way to win them to Christ,” Carman said. “I think an artist owes it to his audience to thrill them and impress them. It lets people know there is joy in being Christian.”

Carman, born Carmelo Domenic Licciardello and raised the youngest of three children in an Italian American family in Trenton, New Jersey, won seven Dove Awards. He was nominated for four Grammys, named Billboard’s Contemporary Christian Artist of the Year in 1990 and 1992, and sold more than 10 million albums. In 2013, 30 years after his first hit and on the heels of his cancer diagnosis, his fans raised $280,000 for him to go on a 60-city tour.

“When Carman resumed touring again a few years ago, he was concerned that no one would care that he was back. He was wrong. Every night fans packed out venues, and his ministry was as powerful as it ever was,” Matt Felts, Carman’s manager, said in tribute. “This world has lost a light in the darkness, but today Carman saw firsthand the fruit of his labors.”
**SNIP** [more at link]

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
RIP

I had one of his tapes in the 80's, played it over and over

Posts: 5327 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Dang. Complications from Hiatal Hernia surgery.

Posts: 11849 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Carman and Petra were my musical rocks (get it!) in the '80s. I saw him in concert in Tucson around '89 or '90, very entertaining performer.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Dang. Complications from Hiatal Hernia surgery.

Is that lawyer speak for "the doctors killed him"?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That sucks, yes he was a familiar name in my home growing up in the 80's and early 90's with Amy Grant, Petra, Steve Taylor, Stryper etc. Frown

Posts: 33816 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
He was a truly unique performer and songwriter. His songs were entertaining and told amazing stories, more than just songs. He was perfect for that 80s-90s Charismatic movement. From accounts I've heard he was the real deal.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
His music had a positive influence on my Christian Faith. Saw him in concert with my kids in Lakeland, Florida in 89-90 or so. Great show. R.I.P my Christian Brother...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I did not know who he was.

I watched his videos "Satan Bite The Dust" and "A Witch's Invitation." Had I not known that he was in earnest, I might have thought they were tongue-in-cheek or parodies. I think you have to admit they are a bit odd, at the very least.

He wouldn't have been to my taste, but I am sorry you have lost someone you found to be important.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Awwwww man! I remember when his big hit was "The Champion" waaaaaay many, many moons ago. Sad to hear... Frown

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So this is kind of weird. I had not listened to his Music in at least 25 years.
I was a youngster and remember his song The Champion and it was cool even went to a concert that was good but also thought it was kind of cheesy.

About a month ago The Champion came on one of my streams. Figured I would search it on Amazon Music. I had absolutely no idea he had so much music. So have been listening to it here and there for the last month.
Had not heard that he had passed.

A little Wikipedia tidbit.
quote:
In November 2011, Carman was the passenger in a car that was struck by a truck from oncoming traffic. The accident took place just outside the church where his appearance was scheduled. He performed the concert, but collapsed afterward and required surgery to repair internal injuries.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Gone too soon. The Champion was what I remember him for too.

Michael

Posts: 1102 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post