SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So I suddenly like coffee?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I suddenly like coffee? Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted
Long story short, Drinking Bros is a podcast that I will listen to in the summer time when I mow the lawn.

The guys behind Drinking Bros own a coffee company called Black Rifle Coffee Company. I've never liked coffee, in fact, I've always found it to be disgusting. I've only tried it a few times in my life, but I've ran for my tooth brush every time to get that taste out of my mouth.

My wife likes coffee, so while in a new Fin, Feather and Fur in town this past weekend, I bought some on an impulse while checking out for her. I also snagged a mug from them simply because it had an EBR on it.

I figured I should take the first sip from the mug since it was a "gun mug." Go figure, but I actually enjoyed it. I poured myself a full cup and drank it. Ever since, I've been drinking coffee in the morning and love it.

So crazy. Always been a diet pop in the morning kind of guy. Just a reminder to periodically try new things, cause ya' neva' know. I turn 41 in 2 weeks and suddenly love coffee.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started liking coffee when I started really enjoying the taste of beer. Oddly, I just can’t get a taste for wine.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
It took me a while to warm up to the taste of coffee too. Guess which brand got me hooked? Black Rifle Coffee!

You will find many here enjoy the delectable taste of their coffee. Their advertising videos are also worth watching, especially if you are around some hipsters/millennials. Triggers them every single time Wink

Posts: 2833 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the club! I've been drinking coffee for almost 30 years now and can't go a day w/out it. I like trying different coffees from all over the world now; some suck and some are really good. I have yet to try Black Rifle Coffee though.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I only drink coffee when I need a kick in the morning at the office to finish waking up. I have to put a LOT of sugar in it to overcome the bitterness of the coffee. Of course it doesn't help that my coworkers are all coffee nuts and insist on having the most potent, vile, nasty variety possible in the machine. It's either that or decaf, and that would defeat the whole purpose.

Posts: 7271 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Be careful Coffee is a gateway to Scotch. Frown

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have to put a LOT of sugar in it to overcome the bitterness of the coffee.

That's the odd thing, I've been drinking it black. I should try other bitter things that I've never liked before and see if I like them now too.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i've gone full circle and am back to drinking it black.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Be careful Coffee is a gateway to Scotch. Frown

That there is pure gold!

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree with you more, as I'm sitting at my desk enjoying a cup of coffee...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E.S. Dunbar - I think the reason why you never liked coffee previously was because you drank poor quality coffee, which was poorly prepared. If you start getting quality coffee beans, and then prepare those beans properly in a quality drip coffee machine, or prepare the beans in a French Press, you will be surprised at how good coffee tastes. Heck, good coffee does not even taste bitter.
Good coffee beans produce a drink that is not at all like gas station coffee or coffee from the office coffee machine

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good coffee is my daily treat, good beer, my weekend treat and for some reason my love of both came at around the same time.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't like coffee or beer until college in Portland. That liberal hellhole does have some good things; coffee, micro breweries and food trucks!

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Can’t wait to try the BRC coffee I got for Christmas!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Never really liked the taste of coffee, always drink it for the morning buzz, always cream and sugar, never black, and this morning a touch of whipped cream!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
quote:
I have to put a LOT of sugar in it to overcome the bitterness of the coffee.

That's the odd thing, I've been drinking it black. I should try other bitter things that I've never liked before and see if I like them now too.
Drinking it black is the sign that you truly like coffee. I gotta wonder about people who add so much cream and sugar that their spoon stands up in the coffee.

The downside to black coffee is there is nothing in their to mask bad beans so quality (i.e. pricey) coffee is a must. I'm drinking 100% Kona as I type.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23288 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I have been drinking coffee since I was 14. That would be 67 years. Started with coffee brewed up in a gallon tin can, over a campfire, elk hunting, out in the wilds of N. Idaho. Really got into it when I went into the army at age 17. Been drinking it ever since. Usually 2 large insulated mugs in the morning, another couple during the day. Even in the evening. No problem sleeping.

We drink Kirkland coffee from Costco.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Many brands of coffee merely have a nasty burnt flavor. I have been liking coffees from Brazil and Vietnam recently. The Trung Nguyen is a favorite.

http://www.trung-nguyen-online.com

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I'm just going to leave this right here...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If the bitterness or acidity is a problem with hot coffee try cold brewed coffee, the process gets rid of those problems with coffee.

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post