SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Old Fashiond mixes??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Fashiond mixes?? Login/Join 
posted
Go EASY please.
Just getting into Old Fashioned cocktails.

Best pre-mix, or complete (alcohol) to try before getting all the ingredients to try?

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
For Pre-mix, I like Husqvarna XP+ Synthetic Blend 2-Stroke Oil, and I like to mix it w/ 100 Octane Race Fuel...Really gets your motor going! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8949 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
HANDY & SCHILLER Signature Cocktails Old Fashioned cocktail. Made with Buffalo Trace Bourbon. Excellent taste, 84 proof.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
It’s 3 ingredients. Why would you need a mix? Bourbon, sugar, bitters.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
If you like the Old Fashioned, you might want to try another classic, the Manhattan, similar, but not so sweet. Resist the lure of the simple syrup!

The whiskey used is paramount, don't cheap out here. Rye is often preferred over sweeter bourbons, probably goes better with the sugar.

Posts: 6505 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
The pre mixed stuff is awful. Tried the Bulliet one a year ago- waaaay to sweet. Youre much better off getting all the ingredients together and making it yourself then adjusting the amounts to your taste. Good quality bitters, simple syrup, luxardo cherries, and some orange just for zest. I agree with the Rye vs Bourbon part- some bourbons as an old fashioned come off too sweet for me, but a good Rye balances it nicely.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Orange peel, cocktail cherries and....Boom. Don't eat the orange peel, eat the cherriesSmile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My son was given a number of 375ml bottles of this and he really likes it! Not overly sweet!
"A generous pour of Knob Creek Bourbon Whiskey, bitters, cane sugar, orange, cherry, and lemon zest."

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Eli Mason

https://elimason.com/

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38713 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
The Bulleit pre-made is ok, imo, but all the pre-mades tend to be very sweet.

I like making my own, though, preferably with rye whiskey.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10495 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

I agree 'cept maybe a garnish.
... and smoking it is kinda cool thing too, I've done that a few times and it makes a tasty drink.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

I agree 'cept maybe a garnish.
... and smoking it is kinda cool thing too, I've done that a few times and it makes a tasty drink.

Yup. I agree with Luxardo cherries and maybe an orange peel. I also have the kit to smoke them. Haven’t used it enough. But did it just a few days ago and it’s great.

I also agree with the guy’s suggesting rye. I’ve done them with rye, bourbon,even aged rum with maple syrup and walnut bitters.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12446 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. A good Old Fashioned requires just a few ingredients.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
There’s a pre-mixed Bulleit brand Old Fashioned at Costco, which I have found to be too hot for my taste, liquor-wise, so I usually cut it with water and/or some extra simple syrup.

For what it’s worth, in the fall I make “Brown sugar Old Fashioned” as a sipper, which is the same as a standard Old Fashioned, but when I make the simple syrup I use brown sugar instead of my typical turbinado. (Microwave a cup or two of water to get it almost boiling, stir in equal parts white sugar, brown sugar, or turbinado until it dissolves and then pour into a jar with a lid and keep it in the fridge for a couple weeks, typically. So one cup water + one cup sugar of your choice = simple syrup.)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brandy
White Soda
Bitters
Sugar
Cherry Juice

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 547 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For pre-mix get either Bulleit or St. Elmo's.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
For pre-mix get either Bulleit or St. Elmo's.

You haven't tried On The Rocks Knob Creek Old Fashioned cocktail (cited above) which is quite new to the market.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
You guys do what with whiskey?

Glass

Whiskey

Little water

Ice (maybe)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11302 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Regarding the simple syrup, I use Demerara sugar most times. I do 2:1 ratio of sugar to water. The reason is that 2:1 will not get moldy. If you do equal parts it can get some black mold in it. If it's brown sugar you may not even see it. But the 2:1 is shelf stable. Just use a bit less when making your drink and stir a bit longer for more dilution.

Or if you do a real classic old fashioned, you won't use syrup at all. You put a sugar cube in the bottom of the glass, 4 dashes of bitters on the sugar cube, muddle it a bit (some people muddle the luxardo cherry and a slice of orange with this). Then add ice, pour whiskey over and give it a stir. The nice thing about this method is it gets sweeter as you drink it. Some people like getting the sugar crystals as the drink gets lower and lower.

These go to eleven.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like them made with Woodford. At home I skip the fruit but the best places have used them. It is nice when they swipe the rim with the orange and give the cherries a slight squish. Angostura bitters and a little sweetener is all it takes. Test sugar or simple syrup to find your preference and amount.

For something different, one place here uses a splash of 7up or Sprite as the sweetener. Probably should have it’s own name but it was surprisingly good but a little different.

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post