SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ever seen a house slide down a cliff?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever seen a house slide down a cliff? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
This is so sad for these families
https://www.ksl.com/article/50...n-draper-no-injuries

Video of the collapse

The aftermath:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, pretty awful. I think I read that one of those family had only just purchased the home and was only in the house for less than a year.

Those homes by the way, packed on top of each other with barely any acreage per lot, were sold for around $900,000. Ridiculous.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Looks like a bad place to build a house even worse with them packed tight. Guess gravity and soil conditions were considered. Law suits will follow the cleanup.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yeah that’s about 15 minutes from me. I have clients in that neighborhood. People scrape together their life savings to live in mountain neighborhoods like that. It’s so beautiful there and the air is clean. What a heartache for those people.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29725 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Those homes were built by Edge Homes. There’s a joke in there, but it’s too soon.

I sure hope they have insurance that will cover this. It would really be bad for them if landslides are excluded or denied. We haven’t even gotten a good start on the snow melt this year. In 1983, we didn’t have homes in these locations. It was still all BLM back then.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
How about a sinkhole swallowing homes?

Residents in Black Hawk, South Dakota were forced to evacuate their homes due to a giant sinkhole that opened under the Hideaway Hills development. An old gypsum mine was discovered under the development after the sinkhole collapsed. This happened in 2020 and law suits are still grinding their way against the County, developers, and original owners of the gypsum mine. It is a royal goat rope. Frown

My dentist's receptionist is one of those affected.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Now imagine living on either side of the homes that were lost. What perils do they face now?

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Does that happen suddenly or are there warnings like settling cracks, doors sticking, etc? Seems like bad soil for housing. Not just neighbors but across the street too? Seems like soil subject to easy erosion.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Does that happen suddenly or are there warnings like settling cracks, doors sticking, etc? Seems like bad soil for housing. Not just neighbors but across the street too? Seems like soil subject to easy erosion.

The homes were condemned back in October; the owners were forced to leave then. So yes, they knew these homes were in dire trouble.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30429 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
We see homes slide into Lake Michigan all the time, but when the water is up it’s something you know is pending when your land or beach gets reclaimed by the lake.

I can’t say I would ever imagine something like that happening to me if I moved to Utah. That’s crazy.

I hope they have at least some recourse.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I hope the housing developer's geologist has insurance....

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
That's up in Sunrise up on top of an alluvial deposit from mountain runoff in an area called "point of the mountain". It was a beautiful place 5 or 10 years ago before they started building everywhere. Trails for hiking or biking were accessible from every street. But it can be very windy in most of the area. A few localized spots were well sheltered.

They are usually well above the dense January valley fog from the inversion.

It looks in that video as if the developer put in some retaining walls below that line of houses and filled in behind the walls. Obviously not an adequate job.

Posts: 9482 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That really sucks Frown

Looks like they had a beautiful view--for a while.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of sinkholes. You have to have a rider on your insurance policy to cover that. Landslides I have no idea what coverage you would need.

Posts: 12732 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
That would suck. Looking at the video and the terrain. Some of that housing development was built on a water drainage gully. That was filled in either by man or nature or both right where those houses were built that went down the gully. I would not want to be a home owner across the street from the houses that went down the gully either.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole place does not look like an area that should have housing on it.

Posts: 312 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
That is one heck of an earth moving project. That fill has to be 30 feet deep.

Agree with above. The gully they filled was a dumb idea. Hard to tell but there doesn’t appear to be any drain tile under the fill. I’m sure the water was slowly building up and just waiting to fail.

Too bad for the homeowners…

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5762 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Wasn't one of those on the news a few months ago and the company offered to buy it back?

All those homes are literally built on sand. If you think that's bad wait until the big earthquake hits. The fact people drive past Point of the Mountain and don't realize that's what they are building on astonishes me.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
I hope the housing developer's geologist has insurance....

A newly constructed home, that someone had been in for a year? I sure hope there were geotechs and test pits etc.

I expected to see some coastal erosion flavor when I clicked in. This is different, somebody(s) done fucked up.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27022 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Google maps for the addresses listed in the article. The overhead looks scary - those "retaining" walls look like they were built with sand.

Posts: 2776 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post