SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Court finds Navy's top lawyer influenced case against SEAL, waiting for other shoe to drop
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Court finds Navy's top lawyer influenced case against SEAL, waiting for other shoe to drop Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
thanks ArtieS - I had not seen that detail.

Pending further info, RADM Bolivar may be included in the Holly Graf / Lisa Nowak side of the Class of 1985.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Class of '85 is turning out some notable graduates:
CNO Gilday
Napoleon Kaufman
Tim Szymanski

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
CNO Gilday
Napoleon Kaufman
Tim Szymanski

Napoleon McCallum was ours. along with CNO, we have a few others.

VADM Andy Lewis, C2F
VADM Dean Peters, NAVAIR
VADM Rich Brown, NAVSURF
VADM John Hannink, JAG of the Navy
VADM Jim Syring (now ret.) Missile Defense Agency
VADM Tim Szymanski, Deputy CDR, US Special Operations Command
VADM Stuart Munsch, DCNO N3/N5B
VADM Rick Williamson, DCNO, N4

RADM Babette Bolivar, CDR Navy Region SE
RADM Kyle Cozad, CDR NETC
RADM David Hahn, Chief Naval Research
RADM Marcus Hitchcock, CDR Naval Warfare Command
RADM Dale Horan (just ret.), Dir JSF Fleet Integration
RADM Jim Loeblein (now ret.), OLA for SecNav
RADM Tom Marotta, Reserve DCNO N3/N5B
RADM Patrick Piercey, Chief of Staff, US European Command

MGEN Gregg Olson, Director of Operations, US Africa Command

Steve Cade, Executive Director, Military Sealift Command
Gregg Habel, Executive Director, Marine Forces Reserve, US Marine Forces North
Emily Harman (ret.), Director, Office of Small Business Programs, Dept of Navy
Dale Ormond, Principal Director, DASD Research

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
CNO Gilday
Napoleon Kaufman
Tim Szymanski

Napoleon McCallum was ours.

Thanks, the correct Napoleon, WinkKaufman was a different Raider's running back.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
“Richardson also ordered a full review of the Navy’s Judge Advocate General Corps.”

Halle-effing-luiah!
I can’t comment about the current JAG Corps of either service, but that’s something that I would have ecstatically welcomed when I was on active duty long ago in the Army.

The problem then, and still today I suspect, is that there was little oversight of JAG decisions and advice, and virtually no way to challenge them. In my 10 years as a CID agent (criminal investigator) I lost track of the times the JAG lawyers I had to deal with were simply ignorant of the law and wrong about their guidance or actions. The most egregious was when the prosecutor in a rape/murder case failed to follow Supreme Court dictates in requesting the death penalty from the jury. The case had been handed down a few years before and I specifically mentioned it to the prosecutor during the trial. He was evidently completely ignorant of the case and the ruling and made no attempt to research it even after our discussion. I was therefore completely unsurprised when the sentence was overturned a few years later.

When a JAG lawyer gave an opinion or guidance to commanders (such as convening authorities), what were they to do if they challenged or didn’t like it? In the vast majority of situations a commander would be dangling his career by a thread over a cesspit if he chose to ignore it. My observations and experiences also demonstrated to me that most of the time “Don’t do it” was a JAG’s safest guidance. If the commander or someone else like a criminal investigator followed the advice, that was the end of it. If they ignored the advice and nothing bad happened, the legal advice was forgotten or never mentioned again. If, however, something bad did happen it was, “I told you so!”

As I like to keep pointing out, it’s not power that corrupts but rather immunity. In my experience the JAG Corps had more immunity than was good for it or the services it supported. Hopefully this “review” will turn over a few rocks for the benefit of everyone.

(None of that is to say that there were no good JAG lawyers. I was fortunate to meet several and work with a few. The best was gay and unfortunately had to resign when it came out.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
From all I know, Babette Bolivar has earned her stars, and is no Holly Graf. She (and I) were classmates of Holly Graf...

Holly Graf? What a twisted head case. She deserves neither her pension nor the honorable discharge that went with it. Imagine how bitter she must be over her sister making flag.

My brother is a year younger than Holly Graf. When she was relieved of her command, his comment was that he couldn’t believe she was still in the Navy, let alone a captain. Something along the lines of a leopard doesn’t change its spots.

I’m enough younger that I don’t remember much, if anything, about her. My brother is one of the most laid-back guys I know and he said he never liked her. I didn’t know there was anyone he didn’t like.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He won the case of his life, now he's gotta clean-up the aftermath, which includes dealing with a questionable initial defense team. Slowly the onion is getting pealed back, these clowns need to be exposed and named how many other cases that were not of this profile, were a result of legal teams with ulterior motives.

Acquitted Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher sues former legal team and military legal defense nonprofit
quote:
Navy SEAL Edward Gallagher – recently acquitted on murder charges in a court-martial at Naval Base San Diego – has filed a lawsuit against two of his former defense attorneys and the military legal defense nonprofit United American Patriots.

Gallagher, 40, had been accused by several SEAL teammates of killing a wounded 17-year-old ISIS fighter and shooting an old man and a young girl. A jury acquitted him of those charges on July 3, but convicted him of posing for photos with the body of the dead fighter. Gallagher, who has served for more than 20 years, was demoted in rank and is awaiting final confirmation of his sentence from the Navy.

In a complaint filed Friday, Sept. 13, in the United States District Court Northern District of Texas, Petty Officer 1st Class Gallagher said Colby Vokey, of Texas, and Phillip Stackhouse, of San Diego, failed to adequately defend his case and delayed proceedings, causing him to remain in pretrial confinement longer so they and UAP could rack up more money. He was confined until March 30 and then moved to a less restrive confinement until late May.

The complaint prepared by Gallagher’s current defense attorney, Tim Parlatore, says the criminal case “revealed a dark and predatory money-making scheme by Vokey and a ‘nonprofit’ United American Patriots, Inc.”

Parlatore, who took over the decorated Navy SEAL’s defense after Gallagher dismissed Vokey, says in the complaint that while UAP says it provides legal representation to military members accused of combat-related crimes, it actually targets those service members for advertising campaigns to take in millions of dollars for itself with little actual legal representation.

Vokey got Gallagher to sign up for legal representation by promising him that all the legal fees would be covered by UAP, the complaint says.

As Gallagher, who was arrested on Sept. 11, 2018, at Camp Pendleton’s Intrepid Spirit Center, sat in confinement he realized he was being taken advantage of and fired Vokey for cause, the complaint says. He also severed his relationship with UAP, and asked his photos not be used in fundraising.

Another nonprofit, Navy SEALs Fund, Co., began fundraising for Gallagher’s defense and Parlatore took over the case. Stackhouse remained on the legal team until mid-April.

Stackhouse said on Monday: “It’s disappointing it’s come to this, but I’m confident the court will sort it out in the most appropriate manner.”

Reached by phone on Monday, Vokey, referred media inquiries to his attorney, Van Shaw, who did not responded to phone calls.

In August, after Gallagher was acquitted, Vokey filed a complaint demanding up to $1 million in alleged unpaid legal fees from Gallagher.

Gallagher is asking a court to declare that he does not owe any legal fees to Vokey or Stackhouse and that, if any fees are due, the two attorneys may only recover the money from UAP. He’s also accusing the attorneys of malpractice for failing to use “aggressive defense strategies.”

Calls to UAP for comment were not returned. According to its website, the group funds legal representation, raises public awareness and provides reintegration support for military members.

Retired Marine Lt. Col. Bob Weimann, UAP’s board chairman, posted on the nonprofit’s website a response in which he calls the description of its relationships with military members “off the mark.” He said the organization has nothing to do with Vokey’s demand for legal fee payments.

Weimann said the UAP had a separate agreement with Gallagher and not with his attorney. He said the organization paid $77,000 toward Gallagher’s legal defense, which was more than it raised on his behalf.