SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Something different: lentil sausage stew for lunch :)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something different: lentil sausage stew for lunch :) Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Looks goooood. Maybe make some this week but will use some smoked andouille sausage or deer sausage or some type of cajun flavored sausage ( doesn"t mean HOT With ? Spices). Getting hungry just thinking about it. ...... drill sgt.

Posts: 2082 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question for Bald One. My mother used to cook various dried beans when I was a kid. I seem to remember her soaking some over night. Do lentils need to be soaked or can they just go right into the pot. Thank you, Ironworker.

Posts: 623 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
We made sausage and lentil stew last night.

My wife just threw the lentils in without soaking.
She does put them in a strainer and rinses them under the sink to remove any grit and has a habit of picking out the ones that look "funky".

Posts: 7446 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
Question for Bald One. My mother used to cook various dried beans when I was a kid. I seem to remember her soaking some over night. Do lentils need to be soaked or can they just go right into the pot. Thank you, Ironworker.

Lentils, unlike other dried beans, do not require any soaking. They are much less troublesome to cook with as a result. Smile

Depending on source, a good rinse or even some screening for debris in the package may be prudent, like Nismo's wife does above. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

Lentils, unlike other dried beans, do not require any soaking. They are much less troublesome to cook with as a result. Smile

Depending on source, a good rinse or even some screening for debris in the package may be prudent, like Nismo's wife does above. Big Grin

Sir, Thank you for your prompt reply. I will have to try some.

Posts: 623 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My wife makes a good lentil and sausage stew in the Insta pot. It's in the rotation for every few weeks, easy and very good!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Made a fresh pot today. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16523 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Progresso already makes a sausage lentil soup.

https://www.instacart.com/prod...sausage-soup-18-5-oz

Home made / scratch is alway better, plus it doesn't have the high salt and aluminum aftertaste that canned products can take on.

Beans and sausage, good winter staples. I made this last week, good flavor and easy. Used real sausage instead of the Beyond crap he's using.

Posts: 15056 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
Several years ago, I bought three cases when it was on sale for .50 a can at Sharp Shopper. The results was a high iron level when I had my yearly blood test. Mad
You're not supposed to eat the can!

Posts: 6767 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am thinking it is about time for a big pot of pinto beans and ham hocks!! Have to have cornbread muffins also.

Posts: 6712 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Damn, am drooling on the keyboard. What kind of sausage are you using in each of the recipes ?

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Damn, am drooling on the keyboard. What kind of sausage are you using in each of the recipes ?

I used Italian mild. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I like you style ... thank you sir !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I like you style ... thank you sir !

LoL Just edited my post... yeah keibasa and German sausages work too but Italian is the best!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Looks delicious. I wish it would cool down so I can make some chili and soups.

Posts: 1581 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's good stuff Smile My wife's been making a lentil and sausage stew for years.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mia has been getting a Costco rotisserie chicken, and making chicken lentil soup. It’s pretty awesome.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4324 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Beancooker, when you move to Georgia, try the rotisserie chicken from Publix.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Beancooker, when you move to Georgia, try the rotisserie chicken from Publix.
We have had both, and prefer the Costco. It's bigger, better (subjective opinion), and cheaper, than the Publix version.

It's "Beanhead" who is moving to Georgia, not "Beancooker."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31388 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post