Find
Notify
Tools

2019 Jeep Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I have decided to buy a new Jeep Wrangler style vehicle next year, and am looking to the forum's brain trust to help guide me, or steer me elsewhere (pun intended).

Having bought a motor home last year, and towing my 2010 Camry on a Demko II dolly behind it. I have come to believe flat towing would be much easier, possibly even safer. Even Jeeps with automatic transmissions can be flat towed with no damage to the Jeep. Plus, a fun little four wheel drive would be great to get around with, and they look cool to boot.

Have heard I will need a different front bumper for a tow bar, and would like to outfit it with a slight lift kit, larger wheels and tires, am thinking hard top, automatic tranny, durability, what do you guys suggest.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Factory bumper should not be a problem.
They make tow bar assembly's that go to front frame and no damage to stock bumper.
My 2001 grand cherokee had such an animal

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tow a '17 Jeep 4dr auto behind a class C MH without any effort. Blue Ox is a great start for tow bars and accessory research.

BTW Toyota just announced the '19 corolla with std trans is legal to tow and won't void your warranty if your small car inclined.

Good luck on your decision.

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Search more here and on JeepForum before you buy - I recall reading the JL series has numerous frame weld issues plus a few other quirks.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sgalczyn:
Search more here and on JeepForum before you buy - I recall reading the JL series has numerous frame weld issues plus a few other quirks.

I read those too:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.c...les-alignment.14599/

I'm wondering if it would be better to lease a JL rather than buy one.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have been pulling a three Wranglers, 2006 TJUR, 2009 JKUR, and latest is a 2018 JKURR BlueOx, and Roadmaster are companies that offer, base plates and tow bars that will directly bolt onto the frame of the Wrangler. You will also need a supplemental braking system with a breakaway and a light wiring harness to be legal in all 50 states. If you decide to buy a aftermarket front bumper and tow using the D-ring tabs be sure to inquire with the bumper company if their bumper is designed that will allow it being towed behind a motorhome. You would be surprised to find that most do not allow it.

I looked at and test drove the new JLU and decided for myself that a 2018 JKURR was a better fit. I don’t like buying first year models for one thing. I did not care for the engine shut down at stop lights. Also I am not a fan of aluminum body panels.

There are welding issues on the frame and steering issues that are recalls on the JL. Feel free to contact me if you need any more info. I just finished installing my base plate, wiring harness and supplemental braking system on my new Wrangler myself. Pulling it behind is a treat. If you love exploring the back roads, National fire trails then the Wrangler is perfect. The fun factor of the Wrangler is hard to beat. I had a choice of my Corvette or the Wrangler to bring on the road full timing, I picked my Wrangler, and I loved my Corvette! Top off, doors off, trekking through the pines hmmmmm FUN

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post