SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Matt's Off Road recovery on Youtube
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Matt's Off Road recovery on Youtube Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

And I'm actually learning things on that one. 97% of it I will never remember or apply, but there there have been a few things I've stored away in my brain.

I did it, I applied something I learned in one of his videos the other day, the soft edge masking. Which surprises me that I never thought of it myself considering how much time I’ve spent with stencils and knowing the difference in looks between hard/flat edges and soft under spray edges.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The one thing that confuses me is that early on watching Matt pull trucks/side by sides, is that Matt says to only tow in the sand in 4 low. The videos seem like he is going a lot faster than my truck would in 4 low. Matt said the transmission would break down a lot quicker if you do it in 4 high.
Different gearing?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
The one thing that confuses me is that early on watching Matt pull trucks/side by sides, is that Matt says to only tow in the sand in 4 low. The videos seem like he is going a lot faster than my truck would in 4 low. Matt said the transmission would break down a lot quicker if you do it in 4 high.
Different gearing?

When he says 4-low it refers to 4 wheel drive and low range on the transfer case. His recovery jeep and morevair both have automatic transmissions so he can be in "4 low" but still be in any transmission gear. You can often hear the automatic shift up and down as he is pulling.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I get that, but when I'm in 4 low my truck won't go much faster than 10 mph no matter what gear my transmission is in.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4016 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
I get that, but when I'm in 4 low my truck won't go much faster than 10 mph no matter what gear my transmission is in.

Actually, 4 low is geared about half what 4 high is. So if top speed for you in high is 80mph, then top speed in low would be about 40mph.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3302 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
You guys probably already know about Vice Grip Garage but it’s a great channel with wholesome content and the dude is genuinely funny as well.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ed gets the Golden Nugget back!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post