SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Calling SF AC Experts....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calling SF AC Experts.... Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted
Our two Scottish Terriers happen to love chewing things. One specific target was (note the past tense) the foam insulation wrap around the suction line of our outside AC unit. We also have squirrels in our neighborhood, and they also participated in the crime.

I found some sturdy wrought iron 30-inch high garden fence sections that fit together and are tall enough so the dogs can't get in the area any more, but that won't do anything to keep the squirrels away.

I've also bought another length of the common insulation that you buy from Lowe's or Home Depot. My question is: Can I (or should I) also wrap duct tape around the new insulation to deter the squirrels, or just leave the suction line bare?

Thanks!

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They originally put insulation on there for a reason. If it did not need it the HVAC manufacturers would have saved $1.25 and left it bare.

I would reinsulate it. Looks like it is common pipe insulation.

Posts: 12681 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Re-insulate it if you can. Some different types have thicker wall or even a glued strip in the middle (running the length of the insulation) to bind the insulation together once you install it, but any cover is better than none.

Duct tape outer wrap is okay.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post