SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teach me how to grill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teach me how to grill Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
I just moved and one of the first things I did was buy a grill. Now I need to know how to use it. Any tips on how to cook stuff? I’ve done some burgers, brats, and steak so far and all have turned out great. It’s so much better than the George Foreman grill. It’s a small 2 burner gas grill. How often do I clean the grill, how do I clean it, any recipes for simple things like what I’ve already done or maybe chicken? I plan to keep it simple with this gas grill this year. I may upgrade next year. I’ve been here long enough to know that you people can cook. Lay it on me!!

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.google.com/search?q=weber's+big+book+of+grilling&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

A TON of helpful information and recipes!
I use a wire brush before and after I grill for cleaning. I'll give it a good thorough wash in the spring. I'll scrape out all the crap on the inside (around the burners) about once a month- depends on how much you're using it, that prevents the grill from catching fire. I also use spray oil (canola or vegetable oil, coconut oil has lower flash / smoke points) to keep the grates "wet", makes for better char marks on what your cooking.

You are about to get a HUGE amount of information just on here! There are some truly talented chefs on this forum!

Enjoy and Bon Appatite!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Biggest improvement in my grilling and cooking meat came when I began cooking to meat temperature not time. Meat comes out juicy and it's highly repeatable unlike cooking to time or some old wives tale (e.g. juice coming out on top).

I tried Amazon's best seller and didn't even get a year out of it. Sigforum turned me on to a brand called Thermoworks and their thermometers are fast, accurate, and long lasting.

Quick fast read thermometers (lowest price to highest price):
  • ThermoPop $29
  • Classic Thermopen $79 (this is the one I own)
  • ThermaPen MK4 $84.15 (this model came out after I bought my ThermaPen)

Leave in thermometers (lowest price to highest price):
  • DOT $39
  • ChefAlarm $59
  • Smoke $84.15 - this is the model I would buy if I didn't already own a competitors. It has a remote receiver that displays meat and grill/smoker temperature and is accurate.

For longer cooking, I stick a probe into the meat and I set a temperature alarm on the competitor to the Smoke. When it beeps, I use
    my Thermapen to check several locations to insure it's done. I get rave reviews of how juicy everything I cook is.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    quarter MOA visionary
    Picture of smschulz
    posted Hide Post
    It' all (at least mostly) about managing the meat temps and cooking time to a lesser degree but mostly getting it to a correct temp.
    Get a Thermopen.

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Was that you
    or the dog?
    Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
    posted Hide Post
    Strive for the result you want. You will be challenged to get the results people get from a smoker when all you have is a grill. Enjoy the experience and always add beer.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    In the yahd, not too
    fah from the cah
    Picture of ryan81986
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Go Vols!
    Picture of Oz_Shadow
    posted Hide Post
    Let your steak get to room temp first and get that grill hot!

Posts: 17891 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Caribou gorn
    Picture of YellowJacket
    posted Hide Post
    Room temp steak, salt and pepper, 500 degree grill. Use a thermometer and take it off at least 5 degrees before desired temp (around 125 for me.)

I scrub my grill with a wire brush when its hot right after I finish cooking. And then I scrub it when its cold before I use it the next time. Deep cleaning happens basically never. Only if grease is flaming up uncontrollably when I try to cook. I keep a cover on it at all times when not using it and that has helped me keep a cheap char broil running strong for 9 years now.

Consider wood planks or grill baskets for fish.

IMO, grilling is supposed to be simple. Don't over complicate things.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10489 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
    Picture of 2Adefender
    posted Hide Post
    Don’t overcook your food. Don’t throw meat on the grill and walk away. Devote your attention to getting your food just right. Get and use a good thermometer like a Thermopen.

Grill your veggies, too. Peppers, mushrooms, zucchini are good for starters.

Enjoy.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of maladat
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2Adefender:
    Grill your veggies, too. Peppers, mushrooms, zucchini are good for starters.

One of my favorite ways to grill a vegetable is to slice yellow onions crosswise into 1/2-3/4" slices and grill the slices until they have nice grill marks on both sides and have just started turning translucent. This can take a surprisingly long time, even on a very hot grill.

Great by themselves, also one of my favorite burger toppings. There's still a little crunch, but they're a little softer, there's still a little onion bite, but there's also the sweet cooked onion flavor, plus a bit of smoke.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Return the gas grill and buy a Weber Charcoal grill haha.

There are some great videos on youtube about grilling with tips and tricks.

It takes some trial and error but one you know your temps and durations, grilling is easy.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Welcome to the fun. I use the grill 90% of the time and the oven/stove the other 10%. I clean mine by turning it all the way up when I start it and let nuke anything on it. Then hit it with the wire brush then adjust temp for what I’m grilling. A good cover is a plus if kept outdoors as mentioned. Be sure to get a second propane tank for standby, it will just be a matter of time before yours is empty mid grilling.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Staring back
    from the abyss
    Picture of Gustofer
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ryan81986:
    Try beer can chicken:

https://amazingribs.com/tested...or-cooking-technique

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    Biggest improvement in my grilling and cooking meat came when I began cooking to meat temperature not time. Meat comes out juicy and it's highly repeatable unlike cooking to time .....

Smoke. When it beeps, I use
    my Thermapen to check several locations to insure it's done....

Everything he said is on point I pared it down to the most important parts. Start with instant read thermometer first. The smoke or similar is great if you have a smoker. I can use indirect method in my grill to emulate smoking, but you'd be hard pressed to be able to get low/steady temps in a two burner setup to do any smoking, maybe a reverse sear is possible.

Tater can you please drop that awesome ATK article or whoevers link for the reverse sear in here?

Reverse sear is awesome for 1.5" or thicker steaks only though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20827 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    To clean the grill simply shopvac all of the stuff out of the bottom when it builds up. Don’t use too much heat, medium usually for about everything and you usually have to flip the food every 5 mins. What exactly are you looking to cook?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by jimmy123x:
    Don’t use too much heat, medium usually for about everything and you usually have to flip the food every 5 mins. What exactly are you looking to cook?

What the what?!? Step away from the grill!!

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    Tater can you please drop that awesome ATK article or whoevers link for the reverse sear in here?

Reverse sear is awesome for 1.5" or thicker steaks only though.
    Here is the last thread I started on reverse sear steaks. I use thick prime grade steaks and turn out steaks that blow my guests away. It's the only way I cook thick steaks.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23264 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Sweet corn on the cob on the grill. Husk the cob, brush on Olive oil, add salt and pepper to taste, throw on the grill, medium heat. Turn frequently. The kernels will turn a bright yellow as it cooks, unless you use white corn. They will plump up as they heat. Be careful not to pop the kernels. You can add any kind of seasoning you want in addition to the salt and pepper or in place of.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Garret Blaine
    posted Hide Post
    cook to temp not time (as has already been said), generally lower and slower is always better (beef steaks excluded), and nibblemethis.com will keep you busy and well fed for a couple years.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    Grilling is as much art as it is science. It takes practice and experience to be great with a grill.

Grill everything. Don't be afraid to make a mistake but monitor constantly when starting out

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37969 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post