SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Had to turn on the furnace today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had to turn on the furnace today. Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
I was hoping to get to Nov. 1 before turning on the furnace.

Freeze warning this evening and the house was at 63 degrees inside.

Have you fired up your furnace yet?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to but unfortunately the electricity has been out for almost 3 days due to the storms/tornado that came through upstate SC

Posts: 1184 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Yeah. I turned it on this morning. It was 64 in the house. Wasn't bad but then I heard a cat sneeze so I turned it on and set it for 67. It's currently windy and 43 degrees outside and people keep asking me where my coat is. They don't know how warm a body gets wearing body armor. I will break out the coat for active rain/snow or below 38 temperatures.
My kids complain all the time that it's cold and I tell them to put some layers on, but if my cat is cold, I will turn the heat on.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8150 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My wife has been hinted to me about switching over to heat but I will resist it as long as I can!

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3645 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Yes it's on, 38 degrees now in northern WV and dropping to low 30's every night for the next 5 days.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7259 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Ya turned it on. Even had a fire in the fireplace the other night.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24572 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
I turned mine on for about 2 days. Now I'm using the AC again. Ah, New England...

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Nope, AC on today here in ma.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yes, I turned it on for a day or two when it was a bit cooler, then it warmed back up. It wasn't really cold yet.

However, the reason I do this, and also with the AC, is to make sure that it works properly before the cold, or hot, weather actually arrives. If it doesn't work then I have plenty of time to get it repaired and working before it's really needed.

I've always known people who desire to wait and wait and wait and brag that they are the last to turn on the heat or AC, and when they REALLY need it, it doesn't work, and they're calling EVERYBODY in town to come out trying to find a repairman and fix it RIGHT AWAY, and the family is miserable, and of course they're all backed up.

This Friday night-Saturday morning is forecast for 32 degrees, and I know that my furnace works and is ready to go.

But hey, that's just me. YMMV.

Posts: 11978 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Yep. 39 outside at dawn here this morning. Set thermostat at 67.

Posts: 27159 | Location: Murphyville Tx | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Yes heat pumps have been on during night time and looks like this Friday night
The aquahot diesel burner will be running. Currently in Tulsa

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4888 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Turned it on a few weeks ago. Been in the twenties several times when I got up in the morning. I think our high is only gonna be in the mid thirties Thursday/Friday.

Posts: 5814 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Nope, but I've had the stove going for almost a month.

Posts: 20557 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-220:
I was hoping to get to Nov. 1 before turning on the furnace.

Freeze warning this evening and the house was at 63 degrees inside.

I had this very discussion with a friend a few minutes ago... after returning to my house from theirs and finding my kitchen at 59 degrees. Eek

God bless America.

Posts: 13854 | Location: Frog Level Yacht Club | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I've had to have my AC replaced this last week. I'm enjoying an efficient cooling of the entire house. I think it is set for 76.

Turn the furnace up - said no one in Phoenix.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8760 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
After several years I finally figured out that my fancy programmable thermostat will take care of these things for me. I set the coolest temp that I don't want to go below and the warmest temp that I don't want to go above. Combined with the temp that I want the house to be, and the thermostat will cycle itself between heating and cooling as needed.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell no! We haven't even closed the bedroom window yet, and yes we have had several frosts.

When we built our house I insulated the living shitsnitz out of it, also lots of south facing Low-E windows, so the sun does a nice job this time of year.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Turned ours on two nights ago. House was getting into the lower 60s. Set it for 67.

Posts: 691 | Registered: January 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yup, turned mine on this morning and yesterday morning. Near 80 tomorrow and then below freezing this weekend. Good grief.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of djinco
posted Hide Post
AC today; heater tomorrow. That's Colorado weather.

Cheers, Doug in Colorado

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 655 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post