SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Remote water meter reader questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remote water meter reader questions Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Need to replace two water meter readers. I've dealt with some of these before but they were all three wire systems. These are older with just two wires. Went to Ferguson's and they couldn't help. Tried another supply house and they were also no help. From the wiring diagrams I've seen for the newer ones I need three wires.

This is the reader I need to replace. As you can see it's just two wires and everything I find is three wires.

I figured someone here might have an answer.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Give Gunner's Meters in Pontiac, MI a call. 248-332-4304 They will likely have them or something that will work.

Remote displays of that type from Badger Meter, Neptune, and Rockwell/Invensys/Sensus will also work. These haven't been manufactured for almost 15 years. Badger Meter was the last company to do so.

Those were called generator/remotes. The registration on top of the meter is a generator coil and the remote simply increments up on unit every time it receives an analog pulse.

Given that your remotes are Schlumberger. They are at a minimum 22-23 years old. You may be better served replacing the entire meter. The one you posted has over 2 million gallons through it. Assuming it is a 5/8" residential size meter it is to the point that accuracy, especially at low flows, will not be good.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall the 3 wire ones were more accurate than 2 wire ones.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Went there today to see what kind of meter they had. It's a Neptune T-10. Reading from the meter it self is about a million gallons less than the reader.

Think we are going to just replace both at this point.

topherh thanks for the info. This is on a multi-unit commercial building. The local water company has one meter for the entire building. The owner/management company uses these meters at each unit to bill each tenant for their use. This one has been giving them readings that don't seem to make sense.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post