SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iphone-which one?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iphone-which one? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Going to the Apple Store in this area-over in Tampa-has pretty much always been painful. Lines, not just "Hi, can I help you? Yes I want to buy...."

And it's in the International Mall. I've been there once, swore never again.

I'm way over 55 and would love to do the T-Mobile change, but, I've explained that she wants Verizon and she's gonna get what she wants.

I do have a possible plan-If the Verizon people insist on the financing, and we leave, I'll take a shot at the companies that offer the same coverage, use the same towers, etc, and charge less.

Thank all of you for your advice-it's all good, just my wife wants Verizon and I hate Tampa and the International Mall. I ONLY cross the bridge to Tampa to go to the airport which is right on the other side.

Haven't been to Tampa for any other purpose in several years. Had open heart surgery there at Haley VA a few years ago and it'd been probably 10 years since, before that, I'd been there.

I realize I am coming off as a cranky old geezer, way too opinionated. but that's not really me. This is me: My wife want something, rarely asks for anything, so she's gonna get what she wants IF I can do it.

I do appreciate the advice on saving some money and I sure am not opposed to doing that. But if the choice is between saving money and pleasing my wife, I just gotta open up my checkbook.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Since you don't want to finance, go to the Apple Store in your area and buy the phones there like nhracecraft said and get apple care protection. Since you own the phones, you can sign up for service with any provider you like uncontracted.
Another way to guy directly from Apple: If you are current military or an honorably discharged veteran you can buy at Apple's military website, https://www.apple.com/shop/bro...me/veterans_military. You'll need to verify your veteran status at id.me. It's a one-time setup, then just a couple mouse clicks when you want to use it.

The Apple military site gives at least a 10% discount on the big ticket items like iPhones, iPads, Apple computers, etc.

Using either the regular Apple website or the military one, scroll to the bottom of the page to find the re-furb link. iPhones, iPads, MacBooks all have a new outer shell and a new battery when sold as Apple re-furbs and reflect at least a 15% discount, which is stacked with the military discount if applicable. They have the exact same Apple warranty as new retail items and have the same eligibility for Apple Care.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:

Going to the Apple Store in this area-over in Tampa-has pretty much always been painful. Lines, not just "Hi, can I help you? Yes I want to buy...."

I do have a possible plan-If the Verizon people insist on the financing, and we leave, I'll take a shot at the companies that offer the same coverage, use the same towers, etc, and charge less.
Agreed about the lines. I hate that, too. Not sure about sales, but I do know (personal experience, many times) that for service or repairs you can make an appointment at the store.

However, for the military discount and / or the re-furb discount that I mentioned just above, this is only available via the website. Buy there, and you can choose whether to pick up at the store or have it delivered; no extra cost either way.

As far as service plans once you own the phone, if you have Spectrum internet at home, you are eligible for Spectrum cell service. Spectrum is a Verizon MVNO (Verizon re-seller), so the cell service uses Verizon towers and network. My wife and I have this and it is 100% Verizon quality. Cost? Really, REALLY, inexpensive compared to buying direct through Verizon. Check it out at https://www.spectrum.com/mobile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30672 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 13 Pro Max, and that’s good enough for me. I have no real desire to upgrade to the 14 for one main reason: they are eSIM only. I prefer having a physical SIM slot, because if the phone breaks, I can easily swap the SIM into an older backup phone that I have. Plus, you can accidentally delete an eSIM. I hope that for the iPhone 15, they go back to having a physical SIM slot.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have gotten 5 or 6 phones from Verizon over the years, never financed one so I just went on Verizon's website.

Yes, you can buy the phone from them without financing.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
I have a 13 Pro Max, and that’s good enough for me. I have no real desire to upgrade to the 14 for one main reason: they are eSIM only. I prefer having a physical SIM slot, because if the phone breaks, I can easily swap the SIM into an older backup phone that I have. Plus, you can accidentally delete an eSIM. I hope that for the iPhone 15, they go back to having a physical SIM slot.

Whoa, didn't realize that until you mentioned it. That sucks. in particular if you ever travel out of country --- I'm always buying the cheapest SIM and swapping it in my phone.

Plus I jump from MVNO to MVNO even here in the USA, and am always swapping them based on needs. Cheapest MVNO plus Google Voice to hold the number is all I really ever needed for the kids, elderly parents, etc.

Ouch! I need to figure this out going forward, if I ever upgrade phones Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks! I guess it don't make no nevermind about the SIM vs eSIM since I ain't got no idea what a SIM is anyway. I reckon I got along 75 years without one, so for the next period, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to can Verizon and we have Sputum for cable and internet now. Just gotta make sure my wife agrees.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We buy direct from Apple online. They provide a shipping timeline. The phone arrives and it takes under an hour to set up. All from the comfort of my couch. The only reason to go to one of the stores, Apple or carrier, is to fondle the goods. If you're able to log on here you can do the data transfer on your new phone.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks folks! I guess it don't make no nevermind about the SIM vs eSIM since I ain't got no idea what a SIM is anyway. I reckon I got along 75 years without one, so for the next period, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to can Verizon and we have Sputum for cable and internet now. Just gotta make sure my wife agrees.

Bob

The SIM is the little card with the chip in it that has your phone number on it and allows the phone to connect to the cell network. If you have a working cell phone, I guarantee you that you have a SIM in it, whether you know it or not.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm way over 55 and would love to do the T-Mobile change, but, I've explained that she wants Verizon and she's gonna get what she wants.

Bob

Verizon has a 55+ plan as well, Link

As V-Tail says, you can buy the phones online without going to the Apple Store direct from Apple, or, Direct from Verizon.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
And shortly after that, adapters will appear on the market that will allow cable with lightning cables to be hooked up to USB-C connectors. Basically lightning to USB-C adapters.

There are lots of cables now available that are lightning --> USB-C, no adapter involved. Because most new chargers have (or offer) USB-C ports. The charger USB-C port usually provides faster charging (power delivery).

That won't work. Apple is replacing their lightning connector on the phone with a USB-C, so you'd need a lightning to USB adapter or custom made cable for it.

I do not understand the need for any adapter, or custom cable. The cables you need are readily available from many sources, for both old and new iPhone ports.

Once Apple moves to a USB-C port, then any straight USB-C cable will work. If you still have an older phone, get a lightning --> USB-C cable for connecting to the computer and/or charging. Lightning --> USB-A have been around for quite some time, if you have an older charging device/computer.

MagSafe is another alternative for charging. I have been using that for about a year, and it is fast.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

This cable, and this charger will work with any current iPhone. It will provide fast charging (power delivery is the official term) for any iPhone since the X, but will also charge older iPhones at the slow speed.

When you get an iPhone with a USB-C port, just switch cables to this one, or numerous other brands. I happen to like Anker. Use the same charger listed above.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
For everyone who says the iPhone “Max” models are “too big”, I say nonsense. Bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max about 18 months ago and it’s been great and doesn’t feel too big at all to me.

My close up eyesight went to hell a few years ago and I now struggle to read small print and even smaller size phones without reading glasses and the larger screen makes a huge difference.

I can barely read anything off my wife’s 12 Mini which feels almost like a toy compared to mine.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
For everyone who says the iPhone “Max” models are “too big”, I say nonsense. Bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max about 18 months ago and it’s been great and doesn’t feel too big at all to me.

My close up eyesight went to hell a few years ago and I now struggle to read small print and even smaller size phones without reading glasses and the larger screen makes a huge difference.

I can barely read anything off my wife’s 12 Mini which feels almost like a toy compared to mine.

Are you aware you can increase text sizes on iPhones?

https://support.apple.com/guid...Font%20Size%20slider.

I like the smaller phones as I wear pants that have a pocket built in for cellphones and the smaller ones will fit, but the larger ones won't. A small thing but important to me.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

If one needs glasses to read close up because their eyesight went to hell, a larger phone is VERY unlikely to solve that problem! If that actually works for you though, then trust me, your eyesight hasn't 'gone to hell'...yet! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

If one needs glasses to read close up because their eyesight went to hell, a larger phone is VERY unlikely to solve that problem! If that actually works for you though, then trust me, your eyesight hasn't 'gone to hell'...yet! Wink

Bigger screen lets me bump up text size to something I don’t need reading glasses for without having to scroll like crazy on a smaller screen.

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post