SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iphone-which one?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iphone-which one? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I went by the current size of my phone. I had a 7+ so I went with the 14+. I looked at the feature sets of the higher models and it's not something that's need for me such as the photography features.

I was ready to get a new iPhone last year but I didn't want anything with the number 13 so I waited for the 14.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19664 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
My wife and I are going to iPhone 13 mini in the first couple months of the new year. We really don't want phones larger than our current 7s because they fit in regular pockets, and the 13 mini is almost exactly the same size---plus it's WAY better in battery life, RAM, processing speed, etc.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My last iPhone was the 8 Plus. I finally decided it was time to upgrade. I got the 14 pro max and it is really the same size as my old phone, but the screen is bigger and holy cow the cameras are AMAZING!!!!! My wife upgraded from a 12 to the 14 and it also has great cameras. I love the 14 pro max and glad it is the one I got. I also don’t use my phone for too much beyond a phone, but I am still glad I got that model. It will be a LONG time before I upgrade again.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The wide angle lens on the 13Pros/14Pros is also a macro lens (not sure about earlier models). You can take some incredibly detailed photos from a few inches away.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, lots of info I hadn't thought of in your replies.

I originally said I had an 8S, but I meant an 8+. Wife has an 8.

The 8+ fits in my cargo jeans phone pocket, and the pockets "might" take a slightly larger phone-have to try the phone out to be sure.

I want a phone about the size of my 8+ because I have had a number of eye surgeries and my I require glasses for driving and distance, but not for anything close. I can read the 8+ screen easily, but my wife's 8 is just a bit small.

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
Might want to keep in mind that Apple will be changing iPhone connectors in about one or two years:

“Apple to put USB-C connectors in iPhones to comply with EU rules. Firm says it has no choice but to switch from proprietary Lightning port to the USB standard in EU.”

Says iPhone 15 is the one that might first show up with the new connector. 14 might then become the last of the current style although I suspect Lightning cables will remain available for years to come.

And shortly after that, adapters will appear on the market that will allow cable with lightning cables to be hooked up to USB-C connectors. Basically lightning to USB-C adapters.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I understand your wife’s affinity for Verizon service but did you know that you can get the exact same service through a reseller?

Based on a discussion here a couple of years ago about this topic I switched to Mint Mobile when I retired. My plan costs me $240 PER YEAR! Instead of about $120 per month..same service, same towers.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6318 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The USB C plug isn’t really an issue.
My IPad has has that setup and they are readily available, factory or aftermarket.
Yes, it’s a different cable to buy extras for but if you’re buying a $1000 phone, hardly a factor.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I'm using a 7 right now. I take a lot of pictures and really like the editing software. But, it's time to upgrade. The smaller version is handy for carrying around in shirt and coat pockets, but the larger screen would be very helpful for my purposes.

May go in-store to compare the smaller version to the plus. From the comments here, it sounds like the upgraded camera on the 14's is the way to go.

(Or I could go nuclear and get a real camera and an ipad.)

Posts: 2771 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I upgraded from a Iphone 7+ to a 14 Pro, very happy with it.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
smisig:

Yes, I know, but she trusts Verizon. It has worked, always, without fail for twenty plus years in the 48, in Alaska, in the mountains, in little villages and in cities in the West, up North and in the South plus, though I don't recall the details, she called me from Greece and from Israel several years ago (maybe she had to buy or lease a different phone-just not sure).

My wife is so supportive of me and asks so very little that, IMO, this is not a battle worth fighting.

12131 met her when we went to Houston a month or so ago. She went to Collectors Firearms with us, spent a couple of hours admiring the guns, discovered the pistol someone had shot Crazy Horse in the face with, and acted like she was having the time of her life, though I know she was just being supportive of me.

So, if she wants Verizon, we'll have Verizon and I will almost smile every time I pay their bill.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Might be worth checking out the iphone SE 2022. It still has a home button like you’re used to. Learning to “swipe” to do everything I used a home button for previously was a PITA for me. It’s a bit smaller (same size as your current phones, though) but pretty capable for your purposes. The only potential downside is reading on the normal size screen. It’s also a lot less $$$, if that makes any difference to you.

Yeah, the 3rd Gen (2022) version even has 5G bands.

Reading this thread, I wonder why there is no love (except for arfmel) for the SE 3rd gen given the OP's requirements.

Why?????

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I switched from 7+ to 14 Pro Max a few months ago. We went to the Apple store and got our hands on the new models and compared size and weight and all that. Interest free payments over two years makes any cost difference trivial.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
And shortly after that, adapters will appear on the market that will allow cable with lightning cables to be hooked up to USB-C connectors. Basically lightning to USB-C adapters.

There are lots of cables now available that are lightning --> USB-C, no adapter involved. Because most new chargers have (or offer) USB-C ports. The charger USB-C port usually provides faster charging (power delivery).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Why on earth buy a new phone at top dollar? Especially if you just make calls, text and play solitaire? Save yourself a some money and buy a refurbished 12 or 13 that has a one year warranty. I'm still rocking an iPhone 6 myself, have replaced the battery 2X. It's to the point now where I can't install any new apps, but even the 8's are running the current OSX.

Get an Otterbox Defender or Fre case for maximum protection and call it a day.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why buy a new phone at top dollar? If it was just me, I wouldn't. But my wife wants one and uses it for much, much more than I do. So....

She also is getting a new iPad, with cellular, which I failed to mention. Didn't want to get further beat up, but, in for a penny, in for a pound.

The new iPad will let me dispose of my second generation iPad that is actually bent in a gentle curve (got no idea how that happened) that can't utilize the Ipod Pros I have and take her, much later generation, iPad, as my own.

I don't now how long I have had that old 2nd Generation, but I recall I got it when that generation was first available. It, too, has cellular and has been sort of a lifesaver on the few occasions we have lost power or when we've been away from my Mac Desktop, as in on vacation or, a couple of times, when I was in the hospital.

BTW Verizon-there's one thing that they have done to me twice, that I really dislike. I very rarely buy on credit-I keep my credit cards at a zero balance. But twice when I have purchased a new phone, the two 6s and the two 8s,
Verizon salemen wouldn't let me pay either with cash or a check. They insisted on giving me interest free payments, just another 50 or 100 bucks added on each month.

I asked them, both times, if they made more commission if I financed it and they swore they did not. So, I agreed, as they were so insistent and it wasn't costing me $. I suspect they were lying about the financing, but am not sure . This time we'll buy the darned things and be done with it. If they insist, we'll head out the door and see if that changes the conversation.

In those earlier cases I just wrote a check for the balance in the third or fourth month. I know car salesmen get some $ when one finances, so I do that, too, finance the vehicle, then write a check a couple of months later. I think this keeps my credit score up, financing and paying on time, then paying the debt. I hope to never need to borrow, but...

Sorry-back to the subject: I can't recall what her iPad won't allow her to do, but, just like the phone, she wants it and so, she gets it.

We've been planning for these purchases for maybe the last 8 months, now, when she gets back from the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl tomorrow night, especially if her beloved Nittany Lions win, we'll be at Verizon a couple of days later.

So, since she wants the top dollar iPhone and the new iPad, it's not a stretch for me to want a new iPhone for myself. I gotta get something, the iPhone 8+ is, as I said earlier, acting up. The posts here concerning the Pros are pretty compelling as to their features, so ....

Bob

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
You don't need to buy any of your Apple 'iDevices' from Verizon. You can purchase them from the Apple Store and pay for it however you like. You can also add Apple Care protection if you so choose in the same transaction.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

There are lots of cables now available that are lightning --> USB-C, no adapter involved. Because most new chargers have (or offer) USB-C ports. The charger USB-C port usually provides faster charging (power delivery).

That won't work. Apple is replacing their lightning connector on the phone with a USB-C, so you'd need a lightning to USB adapter or custom made cable for it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since you don't want to finance, go to the Apple Store in your area and buy the phones there like nhracecraft said and get apple care protection.
Since you own the phones, you can sign up for service with any provider you like uncontracted.

The only reason to go to a provider is to get the phone at a discount by signing a term agreement.

Costco for instance, the vendor there and Costco have deals you can get up to $200 per phone line setup in Costco cards, so you three cell lines would get you $600 in Costco Money. If you shop there quite a bit it can be worth it, with a discount on the phone as well.

If you are over 55 check into T-Mobiles 55+ plans, depending on the level you select you can save a ton of money per month for 5G service, and you'll need the new phones/ipad to hook to 5G anyway.

As to the phones, I have the 13 pro Max, it's large, took a while to get used to it, and it does add some weight to your pocket. IF you wear shorts with the tie waist, it can be too much.

If you sit on the phone for quite a while, the Max is nice with the larger screen, reading SF, internet articles/news, etc.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also feel that Verizon has the best coverage, my new iPhone 14 Pro is great. Fit's in my pocket perfectly and the screen is big enough for my old eyes to see good.

Posts: 423 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post