SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Dash Cam... Speeding driver passing on double yellow line.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Dash Cam... Speeding driver passing on double yellow line. Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
That didn't take long...

Having wanted a dash cam for a long time I finally bought one, the highly recommended Viofo A129 Duo (front and rear cameras) after seeing a referral here and the reviews on DashCamTalk back in January. Just installed it in the wife's SUV with the hard wire kit mid April.

Less than 3 hours later it caught a semi close call... Well... It LOOKED scarier in person at the time than the wide angle video looks! Eek I didn't know if he was going to get back over in time or not!

I was pulling out of a side road with two kids in the car with me. I stopped half way out to allow him more space to get back in his lane but I think he would have missed us anyway. 30 MPH speed limit, the other cars were probably doing about that.

I had checked left and right but he popped out about the same time I started out.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/K5yzvg4I-I4

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Windshield was dirty!

I put it a bit too far left, too close to the rain sensor on the windshield. They did send an extra double sided mount pad so I may pull it off and move it over.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I have my Viofo A129 Duo behind my review mirror so it doesn't obstruct vision. The windshield wipers clear that portion of the windshield so the camera has a clear view in all weather.

What really threw me off is the one I replaced was same form factor camera, but the gps was separate so it had a much thinner mount. The thickness of the GPS integrated in the Viofo A129 Duo mount cut down on my placement options behind the mirror.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I have my Viofo A129 Duo behind my review mirror so it doesn't obstruct vision. The windshield wipers clear that portion of the windshield so the camera has a clear view in all weather.

Yea, I put it kind of behind the rearview mirror. It is behind/within the wiper path... the windshield washer just doesn't work on that car! Perhaps I just need to move it a couple inches to the right so that the rain sensor doesn't interfere.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speeding driver passing on double yellow line.

On a street of that type near my home, I've had that done to me twice, one after passing several other cars behind me. Eek Mad No, before anyone asks, I wasn't going slow, I was going at least the speed limit of 40 mph. This greatly concerned me, as on the opposite (of my direction of travel) side of the street there are mobile home parks and apartments. If anybody pulled out of one of those driveways and, as people tend to do, only check traffic in their direction of travel, at the same time as these assholes were passing, it could have been disastrous.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
That happens all the time around here. Always look both ways when pulling out from a driveway. Everyone's in a hurry.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post