SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Riding Lawnmower Advice Requested -- Zero Turn or Tractor Type?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Riding Lawnmower Advice Requested -- Zero Turn or Tractor Type? Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If you were happy for 25 years with the Craftsman you can select a similar equipped JD lawn mower and continue your mowing in a similar albeit better fashion.

ZT mowers, all the commercial equipment, are great things, but there's no real reason to drop $10,000 when a $2 to $4K mower will do the job nicely other than personal preference.

for 2 acres or less a JD130 series with a 48 inch deck (comes with 42) or even 54 inch deck will reduce your cut times over the craftsman, maintain a reasonable cost, and fit in the same storage place. I say 130 since it has the 22HP Vtwin engine, anything under that isn't as good an engine.

MOving up in the model series, 150, 160 etc gets bigger engines and more options. Moving to the 200 or 300 series you get better transaxle setup, etc.

Yes you can do it faster on a ZT commercial mower but do you want or need to do it that much quicker. To some that's important, you don't need to drop significant coin to have a very good mower and nice looking cut on the lawn.

You can also check craigslist for lightly used mowers and save some bucks. Buddy picked up a almost new, lightly used Snapper a few years back, the paint wasn't even skuffed, seems the owners didn't want it, decided to have a service do the yard. he got a new mower for half price..

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
....I am a little taken aback at what something decent is going to cost. If I had not already scrapped my old one, I would be tempted to pump a thousand or so into it so I could just keep mowing with it and keep the extra $$$ in my pocket. Frown

Most of the X30_ series lawn tractors utilize a K46 hydro which is a light duty non-serviceable unit. If you get one with this transmission and you just use the tractor for mowing (hopefully not on a lot of steep grades) or occasionally towing a little light cart on level, it'll hold up for 10-15 years or so, maybe less maybe longer, it's really more a matter of hours. 16 years ago I moved to a house with a large enough yard (almost flat and over 1/2 acre) that I wanted a rider so I bought a JD lawn tractor, I forget the number now but it was 19.5 hp with a 42" deck, K46 hydro, and I paid $1,899 for it at Lowes. (The same EXACT lawn tractor was also sold by John Deere dealers for the same cost, however dealers also sold higher quality models which Lowes did not.) A few years later I moved again selling that house, with the mower, to my son. Anyway my son took great care of his little JD changing the oil twice a year and only used it for mowing, no cart, blade, etc. Last year after 16 years the transmission gave up. The rest of the tractor was still in great shape.

To move up from the K46 in the JD line you have to get up to a $4,199 X370 (42") or $4,699 X380 (48"). These both have the heavier, serviceable K57 and K58 (respectively) hydros that'll last a lot longer.

Speaking of inflation, in 1966 my father bought a new John Deere 110 tractor which had an 8 hp Kohler motor and 38" deck for $700, about 6,000 of today's dollars. Eek

They do make a K46 drain plug kit that supposedly eliminates issues allowing it to be serviced, providing more longevity for normal use. For towing going up to what would have been a garden tractor class a few years ago certainly makes sense.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its all preference. The zero turns are going to cut faster. When I went to make a purchase I remembered back to my childhood, driving my grandparents tractor type lawnmower for hours just for fun. I would mow the yard for them, too, but mostly just five around their property. I have a little boy that love sitting on my lap and driving around the yard and woods on our lawn tractor. My daughter likes it too, but you can just see the wheels spinning in my sons head when we are on the thing. In a couple of year he will be able to drive it himself, take the trailer around the yard and pick up sticks and what not.

So MY decision had little to do with practicality, and a whole lot to do with nostalgia. My only regret is not going bigger.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
There you go! If this one was in as nice of shape mechanically as it appears, and not too high hours, I would buy it! Give it a *complete* service and get mowing. You'll have something there that'll last.

quote:
Originally posted by petr:
https://centralmich.craigslist...ctor/7110742752.html

Saw this for you to look at. New, this set-up would have been well over $12,000.00

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to add to my post with the link for the Ingersoll.

The tractor has power steering. You can turn the steering wheel with one finger.

It has a hydraulic PTO for the rear attachments. The grass collection bagger is controlled hydraulically. They work phenomenally well. You can find log splitters, rototillers, chipper/shredder to add to your set up.

The mower deck and snow blower are operated hydraulically on this model also. Mind you, the motors are hard to find and expensive if they are not working, but are rebuild able.

You can find cabs for winter time to keep you dry while blowing snow.

The Onan engine is a twin cylinder 18 horsepower gas model.

Being in Michigan, this is close to the birthplace of this brand. Originally Colt, then Case, then Ingersoll. There is a dealer salempwr.com that is in Michigan. Brian is very knowledgeable about the brand and has parts available online. There are others in the area too.

casecolingersoll.com is a great forum you can check out for information on these tractors, fixes, parts and people to assist in any questions you may have.

This tractor is around 30 years old and built like a tank that will still outlast you with care. They are built that robust. The tractor itself weighs over 700 pounds without attachments on it.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or email me. My email is in my profile.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: petr,

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple of the Case/Ingersoll tractors and they are good machines. This one looks clean but there is no mention of the hours on it. Onan parts are very expensive. A 30 year old machine is going to need work because of hours and age. It is unlikely that this is a low hour machine. For someone who can do much of their own work and if the hours are low, this might be something to consider. For someone who hires the repairs-probably not. Tires and seals and hydraulics on this could require work.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I would be really reluctant to buy a 30 year old machine.

I just got off the phone with the local JD dealer. I was looking at their X354 model (42" deck, 4 Wheel Steering, 18.5 HP Kawasaki engine). Their showroom is closed now so I may not be able to buy one for a couple of weeks, if then.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would buy a zero with my dollars.

I am on the Church lawn team and the first Saturday or each month we mow with eXmark Zero Turns. They are tough and help us cover the substantial lawns that we have to mow.

HK Ag

Posts: 3503 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is your interest in 4 wheel steering? It gives you a little tighter turning radius but adds a lot of moving parts. I would spend that money on a bigger deck and more horsepower. The advantage of a bigger deck is that even if you reduce speed on rough spots you are still mowing more ground. That model also has the very light duty L-46 Hydro.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I would buy a zero with my dollars.

I am on the Church lawn team and the first Saturday or each month we mow with eXmark Zero Turns. They are tough and help us cover the substantial lawns that we have to mow.

HK Ag

Are these lawns fairly flat and smooth? That does not describe the OP's situation. He describes rough ground and grades. I have an Exmark and if you want to go fast on rough ground you had better start buying Preparation H by the case. Maybe you guys are tougher than I am.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I would be really reluctant to buy a 30 year old machine.

I just got off the phone with the local JD dealer. I was looking at their X354 model (42" deck, 4 Wheel Steering, 18.5 HP Kawasaki engine). Their showroom is closed now so I may not be able to buy one for a couple of weeks, if then.

John is that dealer a agricultural primary dealer or a suburban type? Farm implement types would be open to making an appointment. The Deere,Case IH and Kubota are essential and this time of year are in demand. What is the approximate location in Michigan? Deere franchises usually cover about 30 miles.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Pretty much suburban or hobby farm type dealer. I could drive a few miles west where things are still more rural. Kalamazoo area.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2090 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty much suburban or hobby farm type dealer. I could drive a few miles west where things are still more rural. Kalamazoo area.

Look at GreenMark equipment, I believe they have 10 franchises 8 of which are ag and open to making an appointment. You might have to buy it over the phone and take delivery.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NewRiverGeorge
posted Hide Post
I bought a 46" cut Cub Cadet with a fabricated deck from an actual Cub Cadet dealer. Found out there is a difference between them and the ones sold at Tractor Supply. I couldn't be happier, I vote Lawn Tractor type all the way.

Posts: 23 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: March 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Most of the X30_ series lawn tractors utilize a K46 hydro which is a light duty non-serviceable unit. If you get one with this transmission and you just use the tractor for mowing (hopefully not on a lot of steep grades) or occasionally towing a little light cart on level, it'll hold up for 10-15 years or so, maybe less maybe longer, it's really more a matter of hours. 16 years ago I moved to a house with a large enough yard (almost flat and over 1/2 acre) that I wanted a rider so I bought a JD lawn tractor, I forget the number now but it was 19.5 hp with a 42" deck, K46 hydro, and I paid $1,899 for it at Lowes. (The same EXACT lawn tractor was also sold by John Deere dealers for the same cost, however dealers also sold higher quality models which Lowes did not.) A few years later I moved again selling that house, with the mower, to my son. Anyway my son took great care of his little JD changing the oil twice a year and only used it for mowing, no cart, blade, etc. Last year after 16 years the transmission gave up. The rest of the tractor was still in great shape.

To move up from the K46 in the JD line you have to get up to a $4,199 X370 (42") or $4,699 X380 (48"). These both have the heavier, serviceable K57 and K58 (respectively) hydros that'll last a lot longer.

Speaking of inflation, in 1966 my father bought a new John Deere 110 tractor which had an 8 hp Kohler motor and 38" deck for $700, about 6,000 of today's dollars. Eek

The serviceable transmission was the reason I purchased the X310 (Tuff Torq K58) a few years ago. At that time it was the least expensive model that had one. Looking at the current models, the X370 appears to be the new equivalent.

I just changed the transaxle fluid this weekend. The fluid was cheap, but the filter was nearly $40.

ETA: I just looked at the specs of the X354 - In addition to not having a serviceable transmission, specs state " Oil filter: Internal, not replaceable." That would make it a no go for me.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:

...I just got off the phone with the local JD dealer. I was looking at their X354 model (42" deck, 4 Wheel Steering, 18.5 HP Kawasaki engine). Their showroom is closed now so I may not be able to buy one for a couple of weeks, if then.

John you give up the X354's complicated rear wheel steering but for only $200 more you can get the X370 with the more robust serviceable K57 transmission which also gives you power steering and hydraulic deck lift. Even w/o rear wheel steering these little tractors turn on a dime. This is basically the newer version of my X310 which I bought after loosing my old JD to my son. It was a sweet little lawn tractor, smooth Kaw twin cylinder engine, smooth hydro, and easy to steer. Only problem is my wife liked mowing with it so much I hardly got to use it!

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7102 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
You can buy a decent mower tractor for $3000. You can buy a good mower tractor for around $4500 to $5000. I purchased a JD E170 with bagger for a couple years ago for $2650 delivered. It has a 48 inch deck with 3 blades. It’s a decent outfit that will last me probably close to 10 years if I take good care of it. I like the tractor but not the deck. I still say to try before you buy.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post