SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone still have a sit down Pizza Hut that makes pizza the old way?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still have a sit down Pizza Hut that makes pizza the old way? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I grabbed a pan pepperoni from a Pizza Hut for the first time in more than a decade. It sucked. Nothing about it was the same. Flatter bread with no grease, flavorless pepperoni and cheese, and sauce that was just off.

No wonder almost all around me have closed. Pizza Hut used to have good pizza. Definitely not worthy of a sit down meal anymore - probably why they no longer have the option.

Funny. Little Caesars has gotten a lot better than when they sold the 2 pizzas in the paper wrapped container.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Pizza Hut used to be greasy good pizza. Now it does suck. Also, the last time I tried it they put some kind of garlic butter jizz on the crust. WTF. GROSS.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No, they’ve all become the to-go type places modeled after Dominoes which is what they really are now.

I agree, they don’t even resemble the Pizza Hut I grew up eating in the 80’s and 90’s.

Saw a Reddit post from a long term employee who documented exactly what happened: in the late 90’s/early 2000’s they stopped making the dough fresh on site every day, and went to frozen disks. The sauce recipe changed, they started using a cheaper cheese and all the calorie labeling BS the Dems pushed through forced them to stop greasing the pan pizza pans like they used to.

They’re dead to me.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
They got rid of the few that still existed around here. We found one location for take out where the thin crust tasted exactly like 35+ years ago. They just got smaller. We probably ordered every two weeks on average though the Covid BS period. After Bidenomics took a firm grip around February, they went up by around say 90-100%, so we said goodbye permanently.

Posts: 7408 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
"pizza"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The one by me has no intention of reopening the dining area. I have a lot of fond memories of times spent in a Pizza Hut as a kid and even with my owns kids.

Since Oz_Shadow brought up Little Caesar’s, my wife had me pickup a Detroit style pepperoni with extra cheese last week. It was ok for the money, the kids like it, and I’d eat it again. It might be the only pizza our whole family will eat.

Posts: 11696 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one near me and I'm not sure how it stays open. I rarely see anyone there. Maybe their takeout business is good.
I used to go with friends a long time ago and then their pizza started getting too greasy for some reason. Haven't been back.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 70's when I was in high school I remember Pizza Huts being the high end fancy place to go eat. Still have one in the town I grew up in, I went back to visit a childhood friend who still frequents 'the hut' and mentioned to him that I normally pay 30-35 dollars for a pizza to go and he just about laid a brick... but then he pretty much lives off McDoubles and Frys.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
The closest Pizza Hut to us is a good 30 miles away & we haven't been there in years. But now that you mention it, I've seen very few cars in the lot whenever we drive by.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
If you have a cast iron pan, Kenji will tell you how to make your own. I usually do it on the BGE but have tried the oven and gotten good results. Seriously, it's almost the same as you remember and might be the same as you remember
Pan Pizza

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
There are only Pizza Hut Express here.

I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in about 40 years.
There are so many great mom-and-pop pizza places around here that there's no reason to go there.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16644 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Our Pizza Hut closed a couple years ago. It used to have the best pizza around. It had a good atmosphere and people enjoyed going there to eat, but it seemed to go through a series of upper management changes and their service and food quality began to drop. Local management became unfriendly and distant and people quit going there with the expextant results.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
If you have a cast iron pan, Kenji will tell you how to make your own. I usually do it on the BGE but have tried the oven and gotten good results. Seriously, it's almost the same as you remember and might be the same as you remember
Pan Pizza

Yeah, I can't remember the last time we actually bought a pizza, frozen or even from a pizza shop. It has to be at least 20 years. My wife makes her own dough, and sometimes we make pan pizza in the oven, but mostly it's "brick oven" pizza on the grill.

We learned the "brick oven pizza" trick when Alton Brown had his old Good Eats show on the Food Network.

You put unglazed quarry tile, (Available at Lowes, or HD for about a buck a piece.), on the grate on your grill, or on the rack in the oven. Then preheat to 500 degrees, and put your homemade pizza on. In 4-5 minutes you have "brick oven pizza." And you'll never buy another frozen pizza again.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:
I haven't been to a Pizza Hut in about 40 years.
There are so many great mom-and-pop pizza places around here that there's no reason to go there.

Exactly.

I don't bother with mediocre pizza from Dominoes/Pizza Hut/Papa Johns/etc., considering that for the same amount of money you can get a fantastic pizza from an actual pizza restaurant, or for less money you can just make a pizza yourself (which honestly doesn't take that much effort).

Posts: 33100 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Pan Pizza

https://youtu.be/uYxB4QBlrx4

Here's another cast iron pizza recipe that I do. Better than chain pizza everytime.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I love greasy pizza and hate dry crust pizza.

Went to a place that sells pizza, tacos and burgers last year and asked the waiter if the crust on their pizza was dry or moist and greasy. Told him I hate dry crust.

He thought about it for a while and said that the toppings were so good he didn't notice if it was dry or not.

Translation: He didn't want to badmouth his employer, so he took a creative way out.

I ordered tacos.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Back in the early 70's when I was in high school I remember Pizza Huts being the high end fancy place to go eat.

Same here, it was the only place to go in my small Iowa town back then.
Haven't been to a PH in a long long time but since then my culinary pizza taste has been refined, so much that I had to make them mostly myself.
Unfortunately, recently going KETO has nixed pizzas in the traditional format.
It is a shame because I LOVE good pizza. Eek

Posts: 23226 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I don't bother with mediocre pizza from Dominoes/Pizza Hut/Papa Johns/etc., considering that for the same amount of money you can get a fantastic pizza from an actual pizza restaurant, or for less money you can just make a pizza yourself (which honestly doesn't take that much effort).

I discovered Dominos upped their pizza game about 4 years ago. They're actually less expensive than mom and pop restaurants. And up until six months ago, I liked them.

Then I discovered a couple of pizza places and one of them has a great take on the "deluxe" version in terms of flavors. Now, when I think of wanting pizza, Dominos may come up in my mind for a second but is quickly shut down with thoughts of "why waste time and money" when you can have great pizza."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Sadly we lost our dine in Pizza Hut last year. I always meant to take my kids to their buffet so they could experience a bit of my childhood but we have a local mom & pop pizza place that is vastly superior to the hut. Our Pizza Hut was torn down and its spot on the main drag has been turned into a 5 minute oil change shop. Frown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
It's been a hot minute since I've seen one that still uses real ovens. Most chain places use conveyor or impinger ovens now, which obviously work, but it just isn't the same.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6372 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post