SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do employers pay for Jury Duty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do employers pay for Jury Duty? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I work for the state and my agency gives you paid time off for jury duty.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8738 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I ink the Court pays $12/day for jurors...your employer has no requirement to pay you anything or any difference.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11455 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
no compensation for you

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I was salaried, so my employers just paid me my normal salary. There were no hourly breakdowns because I always worked well in excess of 40 hours. I was supposed to turn in my jury pay, but I didn't. Guess I was disloyal.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
Thanks for the feedback folks. I will ask her to bring a copy of her employee handbook.

...snip...

She took a non-paid day off to go to her jury duty.
Her manager entered 12hrs for jury duty. Payroll came back with different calculation.

Thanks again for the feedback. Will read her employee hand book.

The handbook will likely say they pay up to X hours per day for jury duty (if any are paid).

You might also want to review the OT policy as that might be why they "clipped" it back. You will also need to review pay periods. For example where I work, if a holiday falls on a weekday (M~F) one gets 8 hours holiday. If I worked 40 hours in that pay period plus the holiday, I would be paid 48 straight time hours. OT doesn't kick in until 40 hours are worked. Others have an OT after 8 hours worked so 10 hour days get 2 hours OT each day. Your wife's employer might have been avoiding OT in sone way.

So, if they pay jury duty time, how many hours per day do they pay? Was she there for 12 hours or did she miss 12 hours paid time? Was her time clipped by hours per day paid jury duty? Was it clipped to avoid OT? Was it clipped to actual time spent on jury duty?

Them putting it at or above 32 hours allows her to maintain full time status for benefits.

Smile

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
All of the jobs I ever had paid 8 hours/day whether I was on hourly or salary (complex math).

I once did some contract work for Indotronix (India). While there I got a jury summons and the manager wanted to know why I even considered going, just skip it. Ah, because the court will issue a warrant?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

No longer employed, but I believe my MD employer paid an amount that brought your total reimbursement up to your salary for the day (what the state paid, plus employer add-on).

In AZ, the state pays $12/day, plus mileage reimbursement at the rate of 44.5 cents per mile traveled to and from the courthouse. In my case, the mileage would amount to $53.40 per day, plus the $12.

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always paid my employees for a full day when they were called to jury duty.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 732 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
We only pay for three days of Jury Duty. After that they would be required to apply for the state fund that pays lost wages for Jury Duty Service.

Posts: 4990 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post