SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do employers pay for Jury Duty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do employers pay for Jury Duty? Login/Join 
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted
It may be different from State to State. I would like to know how employers are supposed to pay their employees for Jury Duty in Nevada (you may also post how it is done in your home state).

My wife works as a Registered Nurse here in Nevada. Her normal work hours are Monday-Wednesday-Friday (12 hr. shift per day). Most of the time, she would work 14-15 hrs per day (depending on how busy they get). Last week, she was called for Jury Duty. She took Friday OFF for the Jury Duty.

Monday, she worked 14 straight hours. Wednesday, she worked 15 hours. That was 29 hour total for 2 days. When she looked at her payroll cut-off statement, her employer ONLY paid her "7 hrs for Jury Duty", since she worked 29 hrs (for 2 days), 29 worked hours + 7 hours Jury Duty = 36 hours.

I thought (maybe I'm wrong), that a person was supposed to be paid a "full day wage" for Jury Duty?

Any thoughts? I tried to call the Nevada Court my wife went to inquire. I keep getting voice mail answering machine.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My company only compensates for 9 hr per day (we are on a 9/80 schedule). If you're called during the normal off-Friday, no compensation for you.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14142 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My employer in California pays me up to 8 hours a day for jury duty. I have worked in the AM and then left for afternoon jury duty before. I typically work 1-2 hours OT a day. If I was off all day for vacation or holiday or jury duty oh well I'm SOL on OT and only get paid for 8 hours.

She needs to talk to HR or her union rep.

Posts: 4954 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
In Ohio we don't pay for Jury Duty. The employee is SOL.

A quick Google search tells me there is no requirement to pay an hourly employee for their jury duty time in Nevada either.

Frankly, I think such a law would be insane! Looks like your wife was lucky to get anything at all.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No compensation here.

Posts: 9023 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Entirely up to the employer in all jurisdictions that I’m aware of.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16310 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure. Maybe JALLEN can weigh in on this.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Typically this is covered in the employee handbook.

Not all employers pay it. Some only pay a set amount per day missed. Some pay minimum wage if the hourly rate normally paid is above minimum.

Did she take a paid day off? If yes, then employer should pay that. That could potentially eliminate the payment for jury duty (again check the employee handbook ).

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Since when does one's employer pay for jury duty?

Never heard of such a thing. It's your civic duty, dawg.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30881 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In CA it's up to the employer. My employer has a project number for jury duty and I charge my time to that number instead of my regular number.

HR is your wife's best bet.

Posts: 4321 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My employer pays it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16133 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Up to the employer.

Mine pays for the days I am scheduled to work but I have to sign my jury duty fee over. If it happens on my regular day off then I don't get paid but I keep the fee.
Work will not cover parking fees or food.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8150 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legally, I don't think they owe her shit.

Is she part of a collective bargaining unit and what does the contract say, if she is? Is there a union rep that she can talk to?

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback folks. I will ask her to bring a copy of her employee handbook. I know that it is our civic duty. I have no problem with that.

I just want to make sure that her payroll department pays her correctly. Her company already have a history of incorrectly paying their employees (they have been ordered to pay back wages few years ago for not compensating their nurses for missed lunch breaks). Recently, wife had to fight payroll to pay her the "correct night premium differential". When a person is involved in manually entering payroll codes, you can never be 100% sure.

She took a non-paid day off to go to her jury duty.
Her manager entered 12hrs for jury duty. Payroll came back with different calculation.

Thanks again for the feedback. Will read her employee hand book.

Posts: 1917 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I believe it is totally up to the employer, and any negotiated agreements between employer/unions, or employment contracts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4888 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I worked for Bell Labs, they made up the difference between jury pay and my normal pay. They did the same for duty time when I was in the USNR.

My current employer doesn't pay shit. I have to talk to him about this. Mainly, when I'm looking in the mirror.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31374 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Hah. Once had an employer that REDUCED your pay by the amount the county paid you.

Of course, the county paid you all of twelve whopping bucks a day.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I was never paid by my employer for any jury duty,

just took that day off if called up (lottery system, did not know until the night before) and worked my shift on my other day off,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10565 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ador:
She took a non-paid day off to go to her jury duty.
Her manager entered 12hrs for jury duty. Payroll came back with different calculation.

Sounds like my employer...

Posts: 5202 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
When I worked for Bell Labs, they made up the difference between jury pay and my normal pay. They did the same for duty time when I was in the USNR.

That is how we paid our employees when I owned my business. We didn't take back jury pay if the person wasn't selected for court duty and released at noon with only 3-4 hours of the small hourly rate the county paid jurors. We figured that covered their parking and incidental costs. Thankfully we never had an employee stuck on a week long or longer trial.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post