SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Train crossing gate proximity to home... Is this OK?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Train crossing gate proximity to home... Is this OK? Login/Join 
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted

First gate is 1450' away, second about 1600'. I don't know yet, if the line is used much, so can't comment on this yet. I used to live within 100 feet of a gate that saw a lot of traffic when I was in college, and I think I got used to it... Forget a lot from 32 years back. This was in an urban environment, and this one is obviously rural.

Your thoughts and opinions on this situation, most notably noise from the train whistle, and even ambient noise from the train, as it relates to the homes proximity. Going to look at the home at 5pm. Thank you.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You will certainly hear the horns, not too bad at that distance, depending on the ground/bedrock and train speed, you might feel the vibration/rumble.

Lived within a 1/4 mile of a train in the Florida Panhandle, so the sandy soil prevented any vibration of rumbling that was noticeable.

But you could hear the train if you were outside, and the horn inside.

Hard to say about traffic, but the county may have traffic flow numbers for that area.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
That would be WAAAYYYY too close for me, but everyone is different and tolerate things differently.

That would be too close to the tracks for me, regardless of the crossing.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Hard to say. Try to assess the volume of traffic. I live about that far (as the crow flys) from a light to moderate use line in suburban St. Louis County that primarily delivers coal to a power plant. I hear the train and horns sometimes, but I never found it objectionable. Sometimes, at night, I actually enjoy hearing the diesel engines pull up the grade and the clickity-clack of the wheels as it passes by. But I like trains.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Too close for me.
Dust, noise, potential chemical spills, etc. are all negatives.

Posts: 2427 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It would depend on the amount of train traffic. I grew up in a rural area with a train track a similar distance although no nearby crossing. You could hear and occasionally feel the rumble of the train. The train passed by very rarely and had no need to blow it's horn in our proximity. Perhaps if there is a train schedule you could make plans to be in the home when it passes by prior to purchasing.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I think you'll hear that train a coming, rolling around the bend.....

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Dang-it, just saw 1000' to the SE on the same road, there is another RR crossing gate. Hmmm... On my house hunting deal breakers sheet, it has "Too close to RR tracks". Can't say I like having three RR gates that close, and on the same road. I'm still going to see it, and hope some trains roll by.

BTW, wouldn't you know it, just over those tracks, is the largest selection of guns gun store, in the county.

Posts: 2049 | Location: NW PA | Registered: March 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW, wouldn't you know it, just over those tracks, is the largest selection of guns gun store, in the county.

Well, that should seal the deal!

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:... Can't say I like having three RR gates that close, and on the same road. I'm still going to see it, and hope some trains roll by.

Just don't get drunk the day your mama gets outta prison...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If the property is unoccupied, ask the real estate salesperson if there would be any problem with you spending a few hours there to see how noisome the railroad is. You could sit in your vehicle in the driveway and probably get an idea of whether you can stand it. Our rural property is several miles from the nearest grade crossing, and when the wind is right (wrong?), the train horn wakes me up if my bedroom window is open.

If there is a siding there, there may be times that a train sits for hours with the locomotives idling.

When it comes time to sell the property, naturally there will be people who will be turned off by the proximity to the RR track.

Also, check a floodplain map. The property may be in a flood zone.

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Check to see if the crossing is exempted from whistle-blowing. Some of those rural crossings are.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If the property is unoccupied, ask the real estate salesperson if there would be any problem with you spending a few hours there to see how noisome the railroad is. You could sit in your vehicle in the driveway and probably get an idea of whether you can stand it. Our rural property is several miles from the nearest grade crossing, and when the wind is right (wrong?), the train horn wakes me up if my bedroom window is open.

If there is a siding there, there may be times that a train sits for hours with the locomotives idling.

When it comes time to sell the property, naturally there will be people who will be turned off by the proximity to the RR track.

This. I grew up near rain tracks with the crossing about a 1/2 mile down the road. Again, i got used to it like you but you have to think in terms of reseal value as well. It will hurt. Any time I have ever considered a home i always spent several hours at all different times of day getting a feel for the neighborhood and the neighbors.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Also, it's not just the crossing, but you've put yourself in a 1/4 mile semi-circle surrounded by chugging clacketyclacking locomotive and cars. Compounded by all the trees being going through half that radius.

It looks like a beautiful property, but I really don't think I could do that.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2tonicP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. The home is FSBO, and occupied. "Is it in a flood plane", is on my research sheet, and I never thought/knew about a rural no whistle gated RR crossing. I have always liked the sound of a distant train, when the wind is right... Distant.

I too am concerned a bit about resale, and places like these, usually have two or three offers the first day or so. Never seen anything like these last few years. Curious to see where this one stands.

posted Hide Post
A Biker bar outside Tucson used to have a "Harley Night" at least once a month for several years. Local residents objected to the loud exhaust noise.

Bar was about 50 YARDS from a Southern Pacific train crossing that handled container trains about every 30 minutes each day. Train horn blowing each time.

Local residents didn't seem to mind the loud train horn, but damn those bikers were loud, so no more "Bike Night".

Go figure.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by 2tonicP220:... Can't say I like having three RR gates that close, and on the same road. I'm still going to see it, and hope some trains roll by.

Just don't get drunk the day your mama gets outta prison...

I live <300yds from a busy track, it also has a siding in front of my house. I only notice a train when it is under load & going into/out of the siding because it rattles my bedroom window. All other times, I block it out.
I've lived within 1/2 mile of this same track all my life, however. I got de-sensitized while in college, but quickly learned to ignore the trains. The trees will block a lot of the noise. You'll hate it at first, but you likely won't have neighbors building in the area....

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad had a single wide mobile home an a half acre of land directly across the street from the train tracks. After the first night, you'd sleep right through the train noise. I wouldn't think they'd use a whistle at those crossings as it looks pretty rural. But a 1/4 mile away you will hear it outside and may possibly feel it.....inside maybe hear it a little.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I shot you an email to your profile address. I work for one of the big Class I railroads and can hopefully help in answering some of your questions with a little background info.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post