SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USAF Thunderbirds Flyover
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAF Thunderbirds Flyover Login/Join 
Set out once to become the world's greatest procrastinator, but never got around to it
Picture of Fdan
posted
Don't want to get into the politics or debate of whether or not the gov should be spending fairly substantial funds to conduct the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels nationwide flyovers - just want to share my experience.

I live in northern San Diego County about 4 miles inland from the coast and last week the Thunderbirds did a scheduled flyover in several southern California counties. I was most fortunate to have them almost literally flyover my home. They were maybe 1/4 mile south and at a reported 500' altitude and 500 mph. They were in their standard 6-plane close-proximity V-formation with two additional chase planes. While they did no real acrobatics, just the precision formation flying, including banked turns as they did several loops a few miles inland from the coast were awesome to watch. We watched from our front driveway. Other neighbors were also outside to watch.

Worth seeing and made me yet again very proud of our dedicated military personnel in all branches.

Posts: 1987 | Location: Southern California | Registered: January 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
I’m a United States taxpayer and I like seeing where some of my tax money is spent. Literally. Wish they’d fly over my house.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
It is great to see the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels, they are worth every penny. I have had a chance to see them in close proximity.
Years ago I flew in and out of Bismarck, ND on regular basis. The airport was 4 gates so one could get a good view of the apron. The Thunderbirds arrived for an air show as I was waiting for a flight. Watching that team and the precision with which they do EVERYTHING makes me proud to be an American.

Watching the local air refueling wing connect with C-5 and C-17 in the air over my town is something that stirs the same feeling.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 718 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
Fdan, wonder if were in same area! Saw them also and swear they were about 5-houses away and banking which gave perfect view of formation. Sound was incredible! I think it's nice they are doing that for the Health care workers.

Plus it keeps their skills sharp.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
slight drift. these pilots are amazing human beings. Well worth it if it inspires a generation to fly and eventually travel to Mars and beyond.
Destin aint' too bad himself Cool

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Video was awsome. I know I would not go up and do that.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fret not. Like any red-blooded freedom-loving American I too wouldn't mind a few extra of my tax dollars going to fund these fly overs. However that is not the case as these flights are using time that is normally allocated for training and is already accounted for in this year's budget. So either way those "hours" would be used, it would not make any difference to cancel the flyovers to "save money". And for certain these flyovers are in no way taking resources that could go to healthcare workers. Anyone who knows anything about gov budgets knows those are two completely different buckets.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Fdan, I drove out to Gillespie Field in El Cajon to be with pilot friends out at the hangar to watch the Thunderbirds. Great to watch.
Remember the air shows were canceled, they need to fly to keep up their flight proficiency, so probably no extra money spent in any case.

Usually I no longer look up to see the F/A-18’s landing at MCAS...but it’s still good.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post