SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    For the pilots- career question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the pilots- career question Login/Join 
posted
Nephew wants to take the vocational option in high school choosing transportation- flight aviation. I opine that this is more a hobby than a career path as I doubt he will be getting a job flying planes after high school.

This program provides students 15 hours of flight time
in partnership with Vincennes University.
Students will fly in Vincennes University's state-of the-art Cirrus aircraft with a licensed flight instructor.
Any opinions about a career path after this that leads to commercial pilot ?
He is currently working part time at the grocery store

Posts: 1401 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I think 15 hours of flight time is enough for him to figure out if he wants to be serious about the profession or not. But it’s nothing more than a brief introduction.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
If he’s prepared to spend AT LEAST $250,000+ for that endeavor, to include obtaining a 4-year degree, then tell him to go for it.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:

Any opinions about a career path after this that leads to commercial pilot ?
He is currently working part time at the grocery store

Isn’t the military already forecasting a pilot shortage?

IMO, trying to get into the USN or USAF even to start as an enlisted is a great place to start.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thezoltar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
If he’s prepared to spend AT LEAST $250,000+ for that endeavor, to include obtaining a 4-year degree, then tell him to go for it.
These days he'll make that money back in about three years. After all, it's only money. The question is really about the fortitude to put up with all the BS involved with the flying lifestyle. Those that love flying will do well and those that don't can't believe anyone would live like that.

======
...welcome to the barnyard...some animals are more equal than others

Posts: 952 | Location: Utah | Registered: May 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Air Force and Navy are recruiting heavily for pilots. I presume the Army is as well. High School ROTC programs provide a window into military aviation and other military careers. Navy and Air Force require a 4-year degree for pilots, Army not so much.

In that 15 hours program the aviation bug will bite him, or not. I live near a military flying training base in NW Florida with primary and rotary wing programs. A number of aviation students DOR (drop on request) when they realize they do not have a passion for flying. On the other hand, I have friends who have been flying since they were first able to reach the pedals, from basic fixed wing to fighters to jumbo jets, and it is all they have ever wanted to do. He will know it if it is his passion after a few hours at the controls.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
How old is he?

My son joined the Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago. He has had the opportunity to fly several times and they have multiple options available to help fund obtaining pilots’ licensing.

They also have other aerospace programs, including maintenance, in addition to leadership and search and rescue.

Things to consider if flying is a real desire. It opens doors…including service academy options.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://erau.edu/
Embry Riddle is worth a look.

Posts: 17225 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

Navy and Air Force require a 4-year degree for pilots, Army not so much.

That’s due to how the Army tends to make Warrant Officers into pilots and not commissioned officers, the only service to do this.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Whether or not he becomes a flyer, my advice is to encourage him to study and pursue something that ignites his passion. Nothing is likely to bring more long-term happiness and success than doing something you truly appreciate every day. This, of course, is easier said than done in many fields, but everybody I know who has been happy for the duration of their career truly enjoy what they do. This carries over into the other aspects of their life, and it is a lot easier to put in the extra work, hours, dedication, etc. that leads to success if you like the particular yoke you are wearing.

Many aviators are motivated in such a way, I have a few in my family who'd rather be in the air than anywhere else you could possibly imagine. The potential downside to that is that anyone who enters that field will be competing with these highly-motivated individuals. If you don't have the fire in your belly, you are starting at a disadvantage.

Posts: 6458 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I opine that this is more a hobby than a career path as I doubt he will be getting a job flying planes after high school.

My former stepson also wanted to be a pilot, and he discovered that it was basically impossible to get hired as a commercial pilot without a 4 year degree or at least significant military flight experience. (This was 5+ years ago, so that may or may not still be the case... many job markets have changed post-COVID.)

He dropped out of college halfway through to attend flight school, because he hated university but really enjoyed flying. But he then ended up having to go back and finish his bachelor's degree after completing flight school, just to be eligible for jobs.

So I'd suggest that your nephew explore one of the college aviation degree programs that combines flight school with a bachelor's degree, or else explore a military academy or ROTC as a path to both a college degree and pilot training.

Note that he'll want to make sure that he meets the physical/medical requirements to be a military pilot. My older brother was dead-set on becoming an Air Force pilot. It's all he ever wanted his entire life, ever since he was little. When he got older and started looking into it more seriously, he was told by a recruiter that he could never be a military pilot, due to both his nearsighted vision as well as his history of childhood asthma. It crushed him.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
I retired from the airlines 11 months ago. My professional career started in 1991 as a second career. I started flying in college, then ran out of money, then picked it back up a few years later when I had a real job and some spare $$.

Generally a 4 year degree is required, but right now some airlines are waiving that requirement. Hiring requirements change dramatically depending on if there is a glut or shortage of pilots.

He will probably have to be age 21 to get hired at an airline, and age 23 to be Captain. Ergo he isn't going to go from high school to the airlines! The typical career progression is to get his ratings (Single Engine, Multi Engine, Instrument, Commercial) for, as erj mentioned, around $250k. Also get a 4 yr degree, for more $$. Then go to an entry level job that pays basically nothing (expect to live at home with parents or share a cheap apartment with several other people). Flight instruction, pipeline patrol, aerial mapping, etc. Single engine airplanes. Then after a year to 3 yrs, go to flying freight at night in the weather in crappy airplanes, also for very low wages.

Then go to a regional for ok wages. After a few years, upgrade to Captain, then after a few more years start being competitive for the majors.

Luck is the biggest factor in a pilot career. Luck in timing, location, external events, company management, economic cycles, etc.

Every pilot will be furloughed twice on average during their career. A pretty high percentage will medically disqualify for at least a few months if not permanently.

Being a pilot is the best job and the worst career. Aside active duty deployment, it is the most family unfriendly career I can think of. Away from home many nights each month, have to work holidays and kids' birthdays for many years until gaining enough seniority, low pay for a lot of years, frequently moving to new cities to chase new opportunities.

Right now is a truly unique time in the industry. I am seeing pilots getting hired at the big airlines (UAL, DAL, SouthWest, AA) with less experience than it took for me to get a job flying freight. These times will not last long. When the economy goes soft there will be tens of thousands of pilots furloughed.

So don't believe anything the schools say about pilot shortages, super high wages, great schedules, free travel benefits, etc.

No pilot has any job security at all until at least 1/3rd of the pilot group is junior to him. Even then, do you remember Eastern Airlines, TWA, and Braniff? The list of top name airlines that have gone out of business is very long.

Pilot jobs are seniority based. Changing employers means going to the very bottom at the new job, with the lowest wages and worst schedules. It takes decades to get the seniority to have what most people visualize as the pilot life.

Every pilot needs a solid Plan B. The college degree should be in anything other than aviation. An aviation degree is worthless. Get a degree in accounting, engineering, nursing, or something else which has employment potential. Have a sideline business for income in the early days and security against furlough later on.

Being a pilot today is vastly different than in decades past, and it will continue changing. Flying itself is a lot of fun, and a great challenge. But the job and the career are the price to be paid.

Posts: 9437 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
What Fly-Sig said.

The most frustrating thing about an aviation career is that timing is the biggest factor. No matter how qualified you are, now matter how well you are prepared, your career will be determined by timing.

When I got hired at my current airline it was unheard of to have guys upgrade to captain in less than 10 years. Now we have two year guys in the left seat.

But that too will change. You really have to do this because you love it - the vagaries and BS that you put up with are not like the normal office 9-5 job.

But then again. when I get home on Wed I will have three weeks off and will watch my neighbors slog to work during the week while I enjoy a stogie on the patio.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I imagine being a commercial airline pilot has got to be one of the most boring jobs in the world.

I was thinking that a few weeks ago when I was on a 6-1/2 hour flight.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
How old is he?

My son joined the Civil Air Patrol a couple of years ago. He has had the opportunity to fly several times and they have multiple options available to help fund obtaining pilots’ licensing.

They also have other aerospace programs, including maintenance, in addition to leadership and search and rescue.

Things to consider if flying is a real desire. It opens doors…including service academy options.

The son of a family friend spent his junior high and high school years with the civil air patrol, wanted to fly, and everyone thought he would follow through with it. During high school he paid for his own flying lessons, and ended up graduating from the Air Force Academy. Last I heard some time ago he was flying giant air lift aircraft in the United States Air Force. Gotta love that story.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I imagine being a commercial airline pilot has got to be one of the most boring jobs in the world.
NOPE! My Accounting career was THE most boring job in the world.

p.s. To fly for an FAR Part 121 air carrier, one must possess an ATP Certificate which requires the Certificate holder to be at least 23 years old.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was thinking that a few weeks ago when I was on a 6-1/2 hour flight.

Lol, there are many many much more boring jobs.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep. Just boring as hell on this 13 1/2 hour flight across everywhere.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I have just retired after 36 years of flying for the airlines, it is the only thing I wanted to do my entire life. It was a blast, and made my life enjoyable. But flying for the airlines is not the only thing. Many enjoy, flying charters, corporate, freight, flight instruction, crop dusting ( had a few friends that did that building time to get hired at the airlines, retired flying the line on 747’s, 767’s, and went back to crop dusting again just for fun). There are many career paths in aviation that make for an enjoyable life.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
If he intends to seriously pursue it, he needs a solid plan going in.

I went to a major university with a top tier aviation program with the intention of becoming a pilot. Even though we had multiple aviation career paths, I would imagine 90% of my class mates started down the pilot path as well. I got my private pilot and acquired a lifelong love for flying, but I decided I didn't have a way to realistically continue paying for the flight time required to finish. I switched to another degree path.

I had an acquaintance who was having trouble balancing his work schedule with flight time requirements. He met with the chief instructor who told him he really needed to stop working and prioritize flying if he wanted to continue. It was true, but also impossible for him as he was working to pay his way through college. He changed to a different degree path.

I had another friend who was running low on funds in his flight account. He called his parents and had a check for 30 grand in the mail 3 days later. He finished the pilot path, although he decided to go a different way after he graduated.

By the time we graduated, I would say most of the people in my class had switched from the pilot path to something else, even out of aviation completely. Most of those were for financial reasons, although quite a few who had other reasons (not a good pilot, didn't like flying, got a DUI, etc...)

The vocational classes he is interested in sound like an awesome opportunity depending on cost, but if he wishes to continue beyond that he needs a true passion for it, a realistic idea how he will pay for it, and as others have said a good amount of luck.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post