SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Large slow vehicles on small roads holding up traffic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large slow vehicles on small roads holding up traffic Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I’m very familiar with that stretch of road, and have experienced what you have mentioned.

I pull over when I’m doing the speed limit, because some jackwagon is riding my bumper. This was the same stretch of road if you recall my “pink mist” story I told in another thread.

It is a windy road with very few options to pass.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

Sorry but this is bullshit. I was raised and up until 2 months ago, lived in California. And I've driven cross country found trip at least three separate times on the order of California to Maine and California to Florida.

California is the worst of all states in that drivers drive in the left most lane at the speed limit or pacing the car in the next lane. Faster drivers have to go around on the right lanes if possible. But usually, traffic is so dense enough to do so that people are locked in.

Other states, I'm driving 80 to 100 mph on straight highways and the other drivers up ahead are nice enough to move over.

Florida was the craziest freeways I saw with drivers zigzagging through traffic like they were in some Daytona 500 race while everybody else served as pylons for them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have been behind my fair share of large and small slow vehicles,
tractors, clusters of bikers (pedal, and motor) RV's etc etc etc

lots of 2 lane no pass zone roads around here,

nothing is worse than a pig truck,

anyhoo,,

as someone who made 2 long trips in a van and pulling a 22' trailer that was maybe at load limit, and trying to maintain speed and still be able to stop,

I can tell you there are a lot of absolute pricks out there,

running at speed, as in the speed limit and having someone run up on you, then get beside you, and pace you, while you are on a tight 4 lane road that is a bit bumpy and wavy,, and crowned, is frustrating,
esp when you have to slow down and loose momentum due to said goober not realizing or caring about the cars that are coming up in front of you that are not running the speed limit, so I have to brake, and then merge over,,

or the dipshit in the lynchburg area that passed me, then pulled over in front of me, and hit the brakes to make a turn,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
As much as I detest regulating everything I could get behind a "pull over" law.

Many states do have a pull over law, but I'm guessing the vast majority of drivers don't realize or choose to ignore it. I remember when I got my license in Colorado back in the 80s, the law was that if there was a line of more than six vehicles behind you being held up, you were supposed to pull over to let them pass.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Then there are people like me, driving 3 or 4 MPH over the posted limit, watching my lane position to allow for free movement of traffic, paying attention to other vehicles when turn signals indicate a need to merge or change lanes and helping them do so as much as possible (backing off, slowing down, flashing lights to tell them I see what they need to do).

Meanwhile, there are always airheads following so close to me that two coats of paint would result in contact, people darting in and out of lanes with no thought of safe clearances, and demonstrating every hand gesture they can think of to let me know what they are thinking.

Sometimes I just pull into a rest area, take a little walk around, kick back for a 20-minute nap, have another beer, use the rest room, and get back on the road.

It works for me!

HAVE ANOTHER BEER?!

You did that on purpose! I laughed out loud.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the dude driving the 579 with doubles, the S680 harvester, or a dually with the cattle trailer

It is the dumb shit in the underpowered Toyota or the asswipe in the Jeep who can't break 47 MPH going downhill.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
or the dipshit in the lynchburg area that passed me, then pulled over in front of me, and hit the brakes to make a turn,

Other than living a peripatetic lifestyle, that is one of the biggest annoyances of being an OTR truck driver.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NEOhio here with plenty of Amish, too many Amish, actually. There are recently modified stretches of roadway with special super slow lanes exclusively for horse drawn buggies, but most are too well established to have pull over cutouts. Unless they were going to pull out into someone's pasture there is just no way for slow movers to get out of the way and let you around. and that is only if they really care.

Posts: 116 | Location: State of Confusion | Registered: August 15, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
How about large slow vehicles on large roads? Are those a problem as well? As an example, I like to stay off I-75 when heading to the Keys, so I take US-27 through the middle of the state. Three times now though, I’ve been stuck behind semi-trucks carrying concrete bridge spans on trailers that span both lanes. 40mph all the way from Clewiston to the 27/75 interchange in the middle of the day. 60 miles and nowhere else to go to get around them. They don’t pull over and let anyone pass.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
So, what's the protocol when you run up on 10-12 fellas on motorcycles, all in matching vests with their nicknames on the back (not to exclude "Prospect" and "Big Diva," mind you) piddle-poking along in the left lane and making a deafening racket?

A) Hang out, be patient, and listen to the rowdiness for who-knows-how-many miles?
B) Pass 'em on the right

Confused

I chose B and put the hammer down. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
NEOhio actually. There are recently modified stretches of roadway with special super slow lanes exclusively for horse drawn buggies, but most are too well established to have pull over cutouts. Unless they were going to pull out into someone's pasture there is just no way for slow movers to get out of the way and let you around. and that is only if they really care.

"here with plenty of Amish, too many Amish," They were probably there first.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

Sorry but this is bullshit. I was raised and up until 2 months ago, lived in California. And I've driven cross country found trip at least three separate times on the order of California to Maine and California to Florida.

California is the worst of all states in that drivers drive in the left most lane at the speed limit or pacing the car in the next lane. Faster drivers have to go around on the right lanes if possible. But usually, traffic is so dense enough to do so that people are locked in.

Other states, I'm driving 80 to 100 mph on straight highways and the other drivers up ahead are nice enough to move over.

Florida was the craziest freeways I saw with drivers zigzagging through traffic like they were in some Daytona 500 race while everybody else served as pylons for them.

WA had this law too.... I never saw it enforced or heeded.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
2 lane road, 55 mph speed limit, lead car...COP driving at 50. Get to 2 lane passing zone, cop speeds up to 55. 67 cars behind the cop ain't gonna pass him.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post