SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Large slow vehicles on small roads holding up traffic
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large slow vehicles on small roads holding up traffic Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
Hopped on 51 in Cumberland, MD which turns into a pleasant, rolling, 2-lane, 50mph, scenic, rt 29 over to 522. I soon catch up to a huge line of cars and trucks, so long I can't see the leader until a 3/4 long straight stretch unfortunately with low hills so the passing lines are not nearly that long. And the first few cars behind seem content to follow the leader. The "leader", a large, pusher motorhome with a pick-up truck in tow, has by my count over 30 vehicles backed up so we're all going between 20-40 mph on this highway. I can understand that maybe that's all the faster the thing can drive but why in the hell wouldn't the asshole driver pull over? I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
As much as I detest regulating everything I could get behind a "pull over" law.

I routinely ask myself a rhetorical question: "Does that stupid twat EVER look in his/her mirror?"

Obvious answer: They probably do, they just don't give a shit. They've got all day to get where they're going and don't give a rat's ass about all the folks behind them that have things to do.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15223 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guessing they weren't worried about anybodys time other than their own?

The slowpoke is up front. Then there is some underpowered piece of shit behind them. The next one can't pass both. Everybody else wishes...

Yeah, it happens around here too.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my trip to Myrtle Beach last month I flashed my headlights to almost a dozen vehicles to get out of the left lane. It worked on all but 2. One guy in a white f150 refused to move over and kept pace with the car in the right lane next to him.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
And then there's the time I got behind a car like that some years ago.

When we would get to a passing lane, they'd speed up to 65 or so, then when the passing lane was gone, drop down to 30.

I finally got tired of it and ended up doing 90 in order to be able to pass the idiot. He couldn't stand to have anyone pass him.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Live in a rural area. This is quite common here, either drivers from out of town who don't know the roads and are enjoying the scenery or some farmer on whatever piece of equipment he needs to move. We have a large Amish population too, so the horse drawn buggies are also good for holding up traffic. They will at least pull off if they are able to, most of the time.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Welcome to touron season in MT. This kind of stuff puts my blood pressure through the roof, and it isn't just the land yachts. It should be legal to run any idiot pulling this off the road.

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

We have one with five vehicles. It is NEVER enforced. I've seen Highway Patrolmen stuck in the 2 mile long line behind these yahoos and they do nothing. More blood pressure issues.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, farmers, campers, RV drivers & the like.

When I’m towing or was RVing, I did keep an eye on things. That includes trying to let faster drivers get by. On the other hand, can’t be pulling over every mile for 3 vehicle’s behind, it all depends.

It may be safer too, for that large RV to keep it 55 in a 55 zone, not the usual 8 over. Just leave at 4 in the morning, much less traffic, just a few critters on the road.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
As much as I detest regulating everything I could get behind a "pull over" law.

I routinely ask myself a rhetorical question: "Does that stupid twat EVER look in his/her mirror?"

Obvious answer: They probably do, they just don't give a shit. They've got all day to get where they're going and don't give a rat's ass about all the folks behind them that have things to do.

I was asking myself the same question. I decided he probably DID look in his mirror once in a while if nothing else but to ensure the truck he was towing was still back there, so he had to notice the 1/4 mile of backed up vehicles he was holding up!

quote:
Guessing they weren't worried about anybodys time other than their own?

I think so.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am OK with farm and construction equipment plodding along. At least they accomplish something. But the non skilled drivers putting along with high $$$ motor homes while towing a better vehicle than I am driving?
Just stay home and let the rest of us go about our business!
M26 between Eagle River and Copper Harbor will strain what little sanity you have left during tourist season.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Sounds like southern France or the French central massif in the summer with all the Dutch people pulling their pop-up campers.

Narrow, windy but super scenic mountain roads already with a low European speed limit...then kilometers of traffic because of the camper van or whatever.

"Putain camping cars" you might hear the French say.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv: I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

Oh that's hilarious! Oh how I wish that's how it worked out here in Wacky land. Oh lord do I wish people actually obeyed that law. I'm in rural Norcal and sadly nobody thinks their slow driving ass should be bothered to pull off and let others by. Between assholes who won't pull off, assholes on the freeway in the fast lane who won't yield to the right and assholes driving big rigs in the middle lanes for no reason going 20mph slower than the flow of traffic, driving in cali sucks!

p.s. I'm totally feel your pain.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I am OK with farm and construction equipment plodding along. At least they accomplish something....

Absolutely, and generally they aren't going far before they turn off anyway.

quote:
....Oh how I wish that's how it worked out here in Wacky land.....

Well I'm sorry to hear that a useful regulation is not enforced.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by F12517:
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv: I so wish other States would adopt what California does which is that any vehicle holding up 3 or more vehicles is required to pull off to let them pass.

Oh that's hilarious! Oh how I wish that's how it worked out here in Wacky land. Oh lord do I wish people actually obeyed that law. I'm in rural Norcal and sadly nobody thinks their slow driving ass should be bothered to pull off and let others by. Between assholes who won't pull off, assholes on the freeway in the fast lane who won't yield to the right and assholes driving big rigs in the middle lanes for no reason going 20mph slower than the flow of traffic, driving in cali sucks!

p.s. I'm totally feel your pain.

As for the big rigs, your state has a 55mph statewide speed limit for trucks, with a 70mph speed limit for cars. So “going with the flow” isn’t possible, by design. You should contact Sacramento and complain. Seriously.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Then there are people like me, driving 3 or 4 MPH over the posted limit, watching my lane position to allow for free movement of traffic, paying attention to other vehicles when turn signals indicate a need to merge or change lanes and helping them do so as much as possible (backing off, slowing down, flashing lights to tell them I see what they need to do).

Meanwhile, there are always airheads following so close to me that two coats of paint would result in contact, people darting in and out of lanes with no thought of safe clearances, and demonstrating every hand gesture they can think of to let me know what they are thinking.

Sometimes I just pull into a rest area, take a little walk around, kick back for a 20-minute nap, have another beer, use the rest room, and get back on the road.

It works for me!

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I know a man that bought a used combine in Illinois and DROVE it (top speed about 22 MPH) home to Tennessee! It was going to be very very expensive to ship it. Oversize load.

I wonder how many times he got cussed out! But this was back in the '70s, so less traffic perhaps.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I was driving on a route behind slower cars. It's a single lane but with occasional passing lanes.

Come up on a passing lane section. Slow cars ahead maintain their speed. But some of them move to the slow lane, while others stay in the passing lane (but obviously don't pass anyone).

Nobody can pass anybody.

Go figure. Such is the insanity that is whackyland.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Throw my wife into that mix. She finds the slowest truck on the interstate, pulls in behind him and sort of parks there. Drives everyone nuts. She's kind of sensitive about me pointing it out, but its what she does. They don't want me to drive, so I enjoy their stunts. I've given in to it and point out their style.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the Prius drivers who own both road lanes while saving the planet.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
During my trip to Myrtle Beach last month I flashed by headlights to almost a dozen vehicles to get out of the left lane. It worked on all but 2. One guy in a white f150 refused to move over and kept pace with the car in the right lane next to him.

I've had that happen almost weekly on my drive home,

equally, if not more frustrating, is the bozo that rides your ass when you are speeding, and when you pull over, decides to pull up beside you, and pace your speed,

so you have to slow to drop behind them to pass the guy in the slow lane,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post