SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Squirrels!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squirrels! Login/Join 
posted
Those dirty rotten little fu*#%rs are eating the wife’s garden and causing her grief. Which means they’re causing me grief and I don’t tolerate uninvited grief. I loathe having neighbors so close to me that they can see how I deal with those intrusive bastards! I hate inquisitive badge wearing people on my front stoop almost as much as I hate tree rats!
That being said, have you had any luck with rubber snakes? I’d display a fake owl but that would keep the birds away. Which would cause the wife more grief. You get the picture.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Snakes dont work,owls dont work werly gigs dont work,feeders dont work,air rifles dont work[more just take up the slack]
plant more to overwhelm them was what worked for me.

Posts: 22420 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If you want them gone, consider a covert trap line with 110 conibear traps. Here’s an example, of course, pets or non target animals have to be taken into account.

https://youtu.be/58jg5YwHSRk?si=ddskUhXzq8_0XXA4

Of course, you catch 2, then 3 more will eventually move in. It doesn’t have to be on a tree as shown.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Although my 80 yr. old uncle has bone cancer, he's been planting away shitloads of tomatoes and such, keeping busy.
He's also got on old 10/22 that he's been ridding the land of squirrels for the past several months (along w/ raccoons and possum).
I think it took at least 2 months before he noticed a difference.

I should probably go visit and see if he needs ammo or a gun cleaning.

Posts: 7481 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any time of day I look out my front window and count three or four,
look out my back window and count three or four. I gave up on the veggy garden.
Don't feel like fencing it in. Used to have red tailed hawks but haven't seen
any in years. I'm not cruel enough to shoot them. They dig up my flower beds.
I find peanuts in my yard, somebody is feeding them. Life could be worse.
I do find it entertaining watching them chase each other around, playing.
So shall it be.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400m:
Which means they’re causing me grief and I don’t tolerate uninvited grief.

I hate rude behavior in a rodent. Won't tolerate it.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Are you able to blast a few discreetly from the back of your house with a pellet gun? Word spreads and they disappear

Posts: 5509 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried what seems like everything trying to keep them away from my wiring on my truck. We have tried rat traps and live traps with corn, peanuts, peanut butter, chevy wiring harness, nothing works. I bought an electric fence at Rural King but the grid was too big and the critters would go right through it. So my wife bought an electric fence from Amazon. It has smaller grids. You ought to see the squirrels when they touch it. I laughed my ass off the way they jumped and started twitching their tales before running off. It is Premier 1 VersaNet+electric graden fence. Its green and 20" tall and with a 14% discount its $112 for 100 ft. Plus you still need a fence charger that will cost about $75 and it will probably need to be solar.

Posts: 469 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I have a large population of them in my back yard as the neighbors huge old hickory tree is right on the property line of his and my yard and that's like Old Country Buffet to them.

I've just learned to accept that they will dig because that's their instinct and it's free core aeration of my lawn.

They're actually pretty smart animals, neighbor told me they can locate a nut they buried years before and will do it. We had this hickory trimmed last year quite a bit and they knocked down a large nest made of leaves, well they rebuilt it 3 times larger with sticks and the filling from my neighbors lawn chair pads that they stole. So it's probably better insulated than my house, LOL

Saw a first this past year when a big old mama squirrel ran up that tree with two little baby squirrels hanging on her back.

Posts: 34469 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
We actually feed the squirrels everyday with peanuts and they go through quite a lot of them.
No external damage to any part of the house but occasionally they will bury a peanut in my herb planter.
We used to have a feeder (for birds/squirrels) I made out of cedar but the elements did it in eventually and the tree it was on is no longer there (old age).
Now they just hang out and wait for a peanut, drives or dog crazy. Smile

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have two squirrel feeders we keep them well fed and have never had any damage, the feeders are only 10 feet from my garden which is not fenced in and they leave it alone.

Posts: 1212 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
At my old house in Portland we had a couple of bird feeders in the back yard. The birds scattered that shit everywhere and the mess on the ground drew in both squirrels and rats. I tried Have-a-heart traps, old school traps, even a professional pest control service, nothing helped. Too urban to use a rifle, even an air rifle. So when I moved into my new house I declared a policy: NO DAMNED BIRD FEEDERS! My next door neighbor has about three of them in his yard. Fine, let him deal with the mess.

The squirrels are industrious little fuckers though. I sat out on the deck and watched one building a nest up in a neighbor's tree. It turned out to be a pretty big nest. Took him about 2 hours start to finish.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pay us in peanuts or something bad might happen to your garden. Sounds like organized crime. I have a nice air rifle. It has quite a few notches in the stock. But they’re like any other rat, they keep coming back. I’m starting to think pacifying the Mrs might require less effort. If not, eh.. pellets are cheap and it’s more entertaining than dry fire.

Posts: 1149 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i had a squirrel start to make a nest under the hood of my truck and then started gnawing at the wires which cost me over 300 bucks to have repaired. I didn't want to kill them so I used a cage trap and relocated them which solved my problem.

Posts: 1695 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife makes the protection payments. Corn Squirrel logs from Amazon. The squirrels keep the dog busy, so I let it be.

What I hate are the chipmunks...they make a mess and tear shit up. Not patient enough to get them with the airgun. Neighbor traps & relocates them. Thinking about doing the same.

Saw a redtail hawk swoop through the trees over the woodpile. Then I heard the EEEeeck, eeeeck, eeeeck... the sound of hapiness. Another one bites the dust.

Posts: 223 | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the bright side,

No elephants

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Those little bastards will wipeout a tomato crop in a hurry.
quote:
have a nice air rifle. It has quite a few notches in the stock
If not, eh.. pellets are cheap and it’s more entertaining than dry fire.
If you're looking for entertainment, trebuchet's look like the most fun way to remove squirrel's from your garden:

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have gone to war on squirrels in my backyard this summer. They like my tomatoes almost as much as I do.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had breakfast with a farmer friend,

He planted twice as much sweet corn this spring because he had a raccoon problem last year.

Twice as many racoons showed up this year and he got one heaping bushel of ears from a quarter acre of plants.

That's it.
He is beyond disappointed.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55139 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post