SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Restaurant Servers Wearing Ear Buds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restaurant Servers Wearing Ear Buds Login/Join 
posted
When did this become okay? Several times now I’ve been to restaurants where the server/cashier had AirPod-style earbuds in while taking orders. I know the nicer ones allow for audio pass through so you can still hear things but this seems unprofessional to me. Not that I really expect much from the service industry these days but still…

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming those earbuds are for communications among the employees.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just learned that it's possible to use Apple AirPods Pro to enhance hearing, acting like a hearing aid. I tried it, it works, not great, but that's a possibility.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
As long as service and food is good I could care less.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like a reasonable way to tell the server that food pickup for table X is ready.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
My local Habit Burger has all the restaurant help wearing an Ear Bud as they're all connected with radios.

Fine with me. Great service and good food.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I haven't noticed this at all, but we don't eat out that often anymore. I don't think it would bother me unless it affected the service.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Between staff playing on phones, poor service, overpriced food I could make at home for a fraction of the bill I just going altogether. Happy to go back when a menu features 30g of protein and a solid 500 calorie meal and has assorted fruits for dessert. That will never happen so goodbye.

Not surprised you caught people wearing Air Pod Pros. Highly doubtful the restaurant is using $200 Apple ear buds for work purposes. That would require constant phone calls or they’d have a Bluetooth system setup but they wouldn’t be using Apple products for this. It would be some cheap $10 or $20 ear buds for this purpose and it’d be 1 of them not two with one in each ear.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Yup, I see her earbud. Just awful.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't matter to me as long as I was getting what I ordered in a timely manner and the wait staff was attentive to my dining needs.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, the first cellphone I ever had- the first time it rang while I was in public I was in a shopping mall (remember those?) right near an exit, and when my phone rang, I actually walked outside of the mall to take the call, because that seemed the polite and proper thing to do.

So, ask me how I feel about a server coming up to my table with those things in their ears.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107502 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Many years ago, the first cellphone I ever had- the first time it rang while I was in public I was in a shopping mall (remember those?) right near an exit, and when my phone rang, I actually walked outside of the mall to take the call, because that seemed the polite and proper thing to do.

So, ask me how I feel about a server coming up to my table with those things in their ears.

How would you feel about a server coming up to your table wearing those things in their ears? Razz

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I can’t imagine there is a way to use them in that manner. Especially since it isn’t ever the whole staff. I’ve only seen it twice- once at a Cracker Barrel where my server had one in and once at an airport restaurant of some kind. One person at each location.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:

I can’t imagine there is a way to use them in that manner. Especially since it isn’t ever the whole staff. I’ve only seen it twice- once at a Cracker Barrel where my server had one in and once at an airport restaurant of some kind. One person at each location.

There must be because as I posted earlier, Habit Burger employees have them and I've seen them in use. Seems they use them for summoning the drive thru employee at least, there are undoubtedly other things they're using them for.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Soon...

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our rural restaurants are bad off for help.
Half as many places to eat as four years ago.

And the places that have managed to stay open are offering reduced hours with reduced staff

We're down to fore places in a 9 mile radius.
That we consider ok

They can wear they can wear Haz Mat suits and welding masks as long is as they are prompt, courteous , polite and the food is better than average.

And the place is clean and neat

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My initial reaction would be annoyance. But, if they are using them to communicate with other staff, and if they don't interfere with communicating with me, I'd be okay with it.

But I waited tables when I was in high school and college and did not need to be in constant communication with anyone else at the joint, so I don't think it is really needed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post