SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Always keep a spare set of eyeglasses on hand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Always keep a spare set of eyeglasses on hand Login/Join 
posted
They will be useful if you break the set you wear every day like Mrs Sigmund just did. Since the repair shop is closed today, I suggested she dig out the ones she wore before this set.

Dead silence.

Looks like she'll have to wait until Monday to get them fixed. And no, we will not appear on the Dr Phil show. Smile

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
One pair in each car, one in the bathroom, one in the office, one in the living room and if all else fails I usually have a pair I keep around my neck on a string. I have learned the hard way to many times.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Yep. I only need glasses for reading. But, keep an extra pair in my day bag, a pair in my car, and a pair in my desk.

I hate having to squint. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
One pair in each car, one in the bathroom, one in the office, one in the living room and if all else fails I usually have a pair I keep around my neck on a string. I have learned the hard way to many times.

~6 pairs!

Due to my fairly high prescription and employers requirement to be safety glasses mine usually cost $350 to $450 bucks, and can't be made in an hour on site anywhere. Ain't buying 6 sets! Used to get a sunglasses set. I do save my old ones but they are usually junk when replaced. And yea my employer kicked in a whopping $80 a year to compensate.

I did break a pair on vacation once. That sucked. Despite being bought from a national chain, they don't have parts and were no help at all. Some epoxy saved the day.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I go a step further and keep last month's pair of contacts. It's a lesson I've forgotten too many times over the 20+ years I've worn glasses.

After all, when I'm not wearing anything people suddenly don't have faces any more.

Oh, and my last pair cost me roughly $700, and I'm in the "have to custom grind" prescription category.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Zenni!!!

http://www.zennioptical.com/

I have been ordering for a couple of years. We use the insurance for the exam, glasses and then go to Zenni and order a backup pair or two. Sunglasses for 40-50 bucks. I even ordered a pair of goggles for riding my bike. The prescription has been spot on every time. Takes 10-14 days.

This really comes in handy for the youngins that break or lose glasses often, can have a pair of glasses made for $15 with coatings

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I always keep my previous glasses just for that reason.
I take them on vacations with me, too - it would be really bad for me to be without glasses, as I couldn't drive.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I broke the nose piece on my glasses, I figured I would just get out my last pair. Then I remembered that I broke that frame. I just had new lenses put in those when the old ones were not strong enough anymore, so it had been a while since I had bought new frames. The only ones I found had really old lenses in them. I think I will get new ones soon and keep my old ones.
I am debating on whether I get sunglasses too?
I pay for them out of my pocket so they are not cheap and I cannot stand cheap frames, they drive me crazy.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Zenni!!!

http://www.zennioptical.com/

I have been ordering for a couple of years. We use the insurance for the exam, glasses and then go to Zenni and order a backup pair or two. Sunglasses for 40-50 bucks. I even ordered a pair of goggles for riding my bike. The prescription has been spot on every time. Takes 10-14 days.

This really comes in handy for the youngins that break or lose glasses often, can have a pair of glasses made for $15 with coatings

This. I buy the equivalent coated, high index, progressive lens glasses from Zenni for about 10-15% of what the optician in my Opthalmologist's office charges. As a result, I can easily afford 2 pair of regular and 2 pair of sunglasses.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I tried Zenni for new glasses after my cataract surgery this past October.

I had high hopes, for a source of affordable glasses.

I sent them back for a refund (they only refund 50%).

The lenses had a very pronounced yellow tint. I complained, they said it was the anti-glare coating. I did not request any coating, and I did not like the yellow lenses.

'Nother thing, they do not do lined tri-focals, which I prefer to progressive lenses. Nor do they allow you to specify the height of the bifocal segment if you use lined bifocals.

They might be OK for single-vision lenses, especially sunglasses. I say "especially sunglasses" since I do not like the yellow tint on glasses that are supposed to be clear.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have been wearing contact lenses for 35 years and damn near blind without them. Because of this, I make sure I have glasses, for "just in case". A spare set are required for me also according to my DOT license for driving company vehicles.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I tried Zenni for new glasses after my cataract surgery this past October.

I had high hopes, for a source of affordable glasses.

I sent them back for a refund (they only refund 50%).

The lenses had a very pronounced yellow tint. I complained, they said it was the anti-glare coating. I did not request any coating, and I did not like the yellow lenses.

'Nother thing, they do not do lined tri-focals, which I prefer to progressive lenses. Nor do they allow you to specify the height of the bifocal segment if you use lined bifocals.

They might be OK for single-vision lenses, especially sunglasses. I say "especially sunglasses" since I do not like the yellow tint on glasses that are supposed to be clear.

I've been using Zenni for several years now and you have good points about options they don't have available. Their frames are really cheap and seem to have gotten more cheaply made. One pair a couple years ago flexed so much the lens kept falling out so Zenni sent a replacement pair at no cost. The lined bifocals I got a year ago worked alright, but the plastic over the ear is falling apart and one hinge is very loose and can't be tightened.

This year, I'll look for competitors for Zenni before ordering.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post