SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gosh, I love Winter...Not.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gosh, I love Winter...Not. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Kind of cool here today. 61° F. Might need a light sweater when I go out to run some errands. Not wearing shorts today. Brrrrrr.

Razz Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
And that goes double for you, Joe!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Remind me to take a picture of my thermometer in...say...August.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Do you guys up there still park your cars side by each in the back door yard?

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guess you don’t want hear about my plans to take the wife to the bay for fresh oysters and a pitcher of beer while watching college girls on holiday, and in tiny bikinis, renting jet skis for the first time.

Kind of entertaining [watching the walk up and down the pier] Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe 5632:
quote:

Do you guys up there still park your cars side by each in the back door yard?

Naw, I pahk my cah in the groj. The truck do sit in the dooryard howevah.

posted Hide Post
PH - I hear you.

For the first time in my life I used a pickaxe and spade to clear ice and snow off my driveway!

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I said I was moving to the Yoop, my Ohio friends said I was certifiably insane and would perish in the Frozen North.
I told them that if it is winter, then let it be actual winter. With real snow. As opposed to an Ohio winter:
Monday: 60 degrees and sunny. Damn. Cant find your sandals.
Tuesday: 40 and rain. Wear your raincoat while hanging Christmas lights.
Wednesday: 29 with sleet and freezing rain. 12 people slide into your car at the traffic light, one of which was an ODOT plow truck.
Thursday: 20 and an inch of snow fall on yesterdays ice. Level 412 Emergency! Death imminent! Weatherman is frantic! Search desperately for bread and milk!
Friday: 20 and windy with an overcast so dark you think it may be the Apocalypse.
Saturday. 35 degrees and rain. Snow now a wet mess. Which refreezes at night.
Sunday: 55 and windy. Go to the grocery and hope bread and milk have been restocked.
Yep, it snows in the Yoop in winter. As God and Heikki Lunta (Finnish God of snow) intended!
See you in the Spring. Which is a week in mid June.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe 5632:
February weather sucks doesn’t it, yesterday afternoon.

^^^^ lost all photo evidence due to a major flood 5 years ago but had photos showing the pointer on the thermometer showing -40*F to -60*F and greater temps below zero while living in the state of Alaska during the 197o"s. Now if temps drop into the low +20*F or colder it causes mayor problems here in south Louisiana. So try and stay warm and dry while keeping your gun powder dry. ............................ drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
When I said I was moving to the Yoop, my Ohio friends said I was certifiably insane and would perish in the Frozen North.
I told them that if it is winter, then let it be actual winter. With real snow. As opposed to an Ohio winter:
Monday: 60 degrees and sunny. Damn. Cant find your sandals.
Tuesday: 40 and rain. Wear your raincoat while hanging Christmas lights.
Wednesday: 29 with sleet and freezing rain. 12 people slide into your car at the traffic light, one of which was an ODOT plow truck.
Thursday: 20 and an inch of snow fall on yesterdays ice. Level 412 Emergency! Death imminent! Weatherman is frantic! Search desperately for bread and milk!
Friday: 20 and windy with an overcast so dark you think it may be the Apocalypse.
Saturday. 35 degrees and rain. Snow now a wet mess. Which refreezes at night.
Sunday: 55 and windy. Go to the grocery and hope bread and milk have been restocked.
Yep, it snows in the Yoop in winter. As God and Heikki Lunta (Finnish God of snow) intended!
See you in the Spring. Which is a week in mid June.

Truth right there.
In January I was in the back acreage zeroing my AR. Not a sign of snow. Now, 12" Monday of last week and 10" just a few days ago. 40 some degrees coming up this week.
Last Winter was worse. A day of snow like 3" and then 50 degrees a few days later. No single digit at all last Winter IIRC.
Its Winter in N.E. Ohio, it should be snowy and cold.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I don't mind Winter much, used the tractor to clear the drive then my friend came over and we skied around the property this afternoon.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
PH you need to trade your tractor for one of these..

https://youtu.be/A0NmI4H0OAI

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6316 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
PH you need to trade your tractor for one of these..
https://youtu.be/A0NmI4H0OAI

Oh, HELL yeah!

posted Hide Post
NAS Brunswick. P3 guy. VP-11. I loved my time up there, lived in Yarmouth just south of Freeport. Great times. Cold as fuck though. We used to canoe at Wolfs Neck state park (? Not sure of name now) and eventually realized if we ever capsized we might die. Didn’t seem to stop us though. In fact I bought a Hobie Cat and was the only catamaran on the Casco Bay for awhile. Lol

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We got 14" on Wed and Thurs this week, and then it got really cold (lows in the negatives). I don't mind the snow so much....it's kinda fun pushing it around with my little garden tractor plow, just can't go too long between plowings if it's snowing too hard or it'll build up to where the mower won't handle it. What I don't like is the ice. My morning runs the last few days have been freezing cold and downright treacherous. And when I was out walking the town at work last night checking businesses, I just about ate it multiple times.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Winter-haters may be in for early relief, if the birds are any guide. My wife reports having seen flocks of both Robins and Red Wing Blackbirds already. She says neither usually show up until the end of March or the beginning of April.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

82 and party cloudy every day with great ocean breezes. The ocean is like bath water even in "winter."

As a former New Englander I now understand why people head out after Christmas. I miss skiing and watching the snow fall but the shoveling and frigid temps vs being at the beach or rivers just about every day just simply isn't worth it.

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
If I can't scrape it, I'll have to break down and hire a guy to sand the drive until it softens enough.

I told my wife we should have bought that 3 point sander when I saw one listed for under $500!

Excuse my Kentucky ignorance but what is driveway sanding? I assume you spread sand for traction?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
what is driveway sanding?
I think it's a Yankee thing.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's summer here in February in PA!

Was single digits and even below zero at night and 20's during the day for the longest time and now it's like 50 degrees!

I'm busting out the beach chairs, LOL

Posts: 33795 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I didn't used to mind winter so much when winter would become winter and stay winter until spring, but this swinging back and forth between winter and something that's almost entirely nothing like winter, then back to winter again, then... over and over all "winter" long got old a long time ago.

IMO, you've nailed it my friend. If it's gonna be winter, be winter.

I remember when it would get cold, then snow, then it would be cold and there would be snow on the ground for a couple of months, then there'd be a thaw, then Spring would arrive.

Now? It'll get cold, then up into the 40s, then the temp will drop and we'll get a couple of inches of snow, then it'll warm up and melt, then get cold again and maybe get some more snow, then warm up again, then a deep freeze, etc., etc. It's really freaking annoying.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post