SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Gosh, I love Winter...Not.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gosh, I love Winter...Not. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
We had a warm spell (40°) Wednesday and most of Thursday but it wasn't enough to get rid of all of last weekend's snow.

Thursday night and all day Friday we had snow/sleet/rain/sleet/snow and now it's come off cold (14°) so I have 6 inches of frozen shit everywhere that a shovel won't even touch. Chopping through it with a spud is a lot of work.

I have the Cabota plugged in and warming up, but I'm sure the blower will just skate across the top of this crap. Might be able to bust it up some with the front end loader.

Fuck.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
We got freezing rain and sleet most of the day Thursday then it turned to snow and we got 8” overnight into Friday. Using the snowblower was an effort in futility for the most part.

Posts: 2337 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Yup, my blower just rode up on top of it yesterday.

I'm going to try and scrape some with my bucket today. Not expecting too much success.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I like winter...up until February. Then I'm done with it and ready for spring projects.

Not unlike summer. I like it...up until August. Then I'm done with it and ready for fall.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
Yup, my blower just rode up on top of it yesterday.

I'm going to try and scrape some with my bucket today. Not expecting too much success.

Yeesh...

I knew I was in trouble when I backed out of the barn and the ENTIRE TRACTOR rode up on top of the snow!

I did manage to break the snowplow berm at the end of the drive way and scrape down to ice-covered gravel from the road to the garage and partway up to the house. Use the loader to bust up and scrape for 10 feet, turn around and use the blower to blow it off to the side, rinse, repeat...

The rest will have to wait for things to warm up a little.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I didn't used to mind winter so much when winter would become winter and stay winter until spring, but this swinging back and forth between winter and something that's almost entirely nothing like winter, then back to winter again, then... over and over all "winter" long got old a long time ago.

When I saw the forecast for my area, day before yesterday, I knew there'd be this window, after the rain changed to snow and before the temperature dropped too far, where I'd have to get out there and get the white slush up before it froze. I timed it just about right.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I think we do it right around here. Most of the winter is cold without being bitterly cold, interspersed with occasional warmer days so you can do outdoorsy stuff. And we get several inches of snow a few times per year, with a larger dump every few years, but none of it tends to stick around for more than 3ish days in a row.

Just enough winter to appreciate it, without getting sick of it.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I was in the truck plowing from 5:30 yesterday morning until around one in the afternoon. Then 30 miles one way to pick up grandkids. Enjoying the lazy boy today.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm odd. I love Winter and despise Summer.
I don't really like ice or freezing rain, which I got a few days ago, but I like snow.
Woke up this morning to 10° and I'm enjoying it.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just left the Northeast for Florida 6 months ago. I always liked Maryland winters but I have to admit my friends pictures of this winter while I was in shorts sipping a cocktail on my patio has made me rethink that opinion. I used to live (stationed) in Maine. Those winters I could do without.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I used to live (stationed) in Maine. Those winters I could do without.

Where were you in Maine? Loring? Bath/Brunswick?

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I just did a little math.

With the loader, full load of fuel, loaded tires and the blower, the tractor weighs something over 4000 pounds.

Pretty solid crust when two tons won't break through it...

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Kind of cool here today. 61° F. Might need a light sweater when I go out to run some errands. Not wearing shorts today. Brrrrrr.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Consecutive weeks we had snow for all or parts of a day. Partial thaw then a refreeze that left everything a frozen hell. Three warm days plus rain melted it all and turned everything into a muddy disaster and now we’re back to below freezing temps so all the ruts are frozen. I usually don’t mind winter but I’m over this shit for the year.

Posts: 13741 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
This is the first winter we have spent in Montana since we retired 7 years ago. We are selling our home here and relocating to a warmer climate. Yes, it sucks. I only partially disliked winter when I was working my 9-5 but now it just sucks. I lucky to have a Kubota tractor with a front mount snowblower so snow removal is easy. Looking out the window over my computer monitor at all of that white crap - sucks.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Winter's still around here, although it's a bit warmer today:

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Yup, it's like concrete out there! Eek Mad

I might have to resign myself to just driving on it for a while but, first I need to get into the car(s) which are currently kinda' encapsulated before I can do anything here. Once the sun is shining on them, I'm planning on warming them up (slowly, as I cracked a windshield blowing hot air on a frozen/ice encapsulated car in the past) in the hope I can at least move the cars around.

This was one of those perfect storms where nothing could be done (unless you had a heat pump feeding a radiant heat system under your driveway!) to avoid the impossibly frozen, concrete like coating that's out there. It's about 3-4 inches thick here and resulted from a few hours of freezing, followed by alternating sleet & freezing rain conditions over several more hours. I had NO chance of mitigating this and knew we were screwed when I went outside to assess the situation yesterday PM when it was a balmy 25 degrees!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8870 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I was working a 10-hour shift yesterday, getting out at 4:30. It took me 20 minutes to scrape off the windshield until it was safe to drive. Got home to the 3"-4" frozen mess in the driveway. No way was I gonna attack that issue yesterday. Next Tuesday it will be above freezing and I have a day off, so I'll tackle it then! In northern NH, they got upwards of 20" of snow, no freezing rain.
oh, well!!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
If I can't scrape it, I'll have to break down and hire a guy to sand the drive until it softens enough.

I told my wife we should have bought that 3 point sander when I saw one listed for under $500!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
February weather sucks doesn’t it, yesterday afternoon.

Posts: 57 | Location: Southwest Florida  | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post