SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USPS tracking.
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
USPS tracking. Login/Join 
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted
Expected delivery day, yesterday Item is currently "In transit to destination".
What the fuck does that mean? Mad

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Remember USPS= Govt= does not work right.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Report This Post
The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:
Expected delivery day, yesterday Item is currently "In transit to destination".
What the fuck does that mean? Mad

It means no one has scanned it, or the bag/trailer/cargo container it is in, since it left the last sorting location.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
What I find on USPS tracking is that information is dependent on how badly I need whatever is in transit.

If I don't need it... I can find out exactly where it is and when it will likely arrive.

If I DO need it, it doesn't get updated until after it arrives... Whenever that is.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I don't even track the "combo" shipping services that involve UPS and USPS anymore. Because the UPS driver has discovered he can cut his route time by direct delivering packages. Small town, and the driver knows all of the regular addressees by name anyway, so when he spots a Surepost pkg destined for me, he just drops it at my house, rather than his having to swing out of his way to drop it at the PO. This usually cuts 2-3 days off of the expected delivery time.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
On the flip side of that, I've heard a lot of comments from customers that they're surprised by how quickly we've delivered a package. There have been quite a few times when the printed estimated date of delivery has been as much as five days beyond the date I've actually delivered a package.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
That means it might get there, it might not. Soon, later, who knows?

I had a shipper on Amazon use USPS and the tracking number showed up as

quote:
Carrier: USPS, Tracking #: 9.40011E+21

Try tracking THAT! Mad

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
Package arrived today. Was signed up for text updates.

While the same package departed Knoxville three times, it only arrived in our local office twice.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sat Substitute carrier Jerk lied again, I was home watching him. My regular carrier said he probably missed the package & was too lazy to go back. Bear in mind I live in a high density area with kiosks & postal stations. The route is never more than a half mile away. The regular carrier said that they must be back at a certain time, so if running behind carriers just stash the mail for the next day.

February 7, 2017 , 1:10 pm

Delivered, Left with Individual NASHVILLE, TN 37211
Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 1:10 pm on February 7, 2017 in NASHVILLE, TN 37211.

February 4, 2017 Redelivery Scheduled. NASHVILLE, TN 37211

February 4, 2017 , 2:55 pm Notice Left. NASHVILLE, TN 37211

February 4, 2017 , 7:58 am Out for Delivery. NASHVILLE, TN 37211

February 4, 2017 , 7:48 am Sorting Complete. NASHVILLE, TN 37211

February 4, 2017 , 6:27 am Arrived at Post Office. NASHVILLE, TN 37211

February 4, 2017 , 1:47 am Departed USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37229

February 4, 2017 , 12:17 am Arrived at USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37229

February 3, 2017 , 10:33 pm Departed USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37230

February 3, 2017 , 2:56 pm Arrived at USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37230

February 3, 2017 , 2:28 pm Departed USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37229

February 3, 2017 , 10:46 am Arrived at USPS Facility. NASHVILLE, TN 37229

February 3, 2017 , 4:51 am Departed USPS Facility. SAINT LOUIS, MO 63145

February 3, 2017 , 12:25 am Arrived at USPS Origin Facility. SAINT LOUIS, MO 63145

February 2, 2017 , 4:14 pm Departed Post Office. BELLE, MO 65013

February 2, 2017 , 4:09 pm Picked Up. BELLE, MO 65013

February 2, 2017 , 12:23 pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item. BELLE, MO 65013

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Report This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is like my mailman. He takes prayer breaks several times a day.

I live on a cul-de-sac and last fall I look out and he has stopped in front of the house and takes a sheet of cardboard out of the truck and lays it on the ground and starts praying. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Report This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
USPS Tracking:
1) Package has left facility
2) we have no fucking clue
3) we have no fucking clue
4) we have no fucking clue
5) Package delivered

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the flip side of that, I've heard a lot of comments from customers that they're surprised by how quickly we've delivered a package. There have been quite a few times when the printed estimated date of delivery has been as much as five days beyond the date I've actually delivered a package.

Being that you have inside knowledge and are responsible in terms of your job, I am wondering if you have any tips for the rest of us to improve our "USPS POSTAL EXPERIENCE". I am being serious not sarcastic. Thanks

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I just deliver the mail. I don't process it.

There is one point I'd like to make about the tracking, though: in my office--as, I'm sure, everywhere else--we scan the shit out of everything. I don't think it's the fault of the carriers that delivery info isn't accurate. The equipment we use is rather old, so I'd assume the infrastructure that supports it isn't on the same level as some of our competitors.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently had a package through eBay that was supposed to be Priority Mail - the guy shipped FedEx SmartPost!! (Oxymoron!!)

It wasn't until almost three days after it was picked up from him in Michigan that they put it into the USPS in Warrendale, PA!! It then took the truck to Richmond, CA - over a week to get to me.

As I understand it, they are supposed to take it to the USPS distribution facility NEAR you before turning it over. What a WASTE of time.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Report This Post
Unhyphenated American
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
I recently had a package through eBay that was supposed to be Priority Mail - the guy shipped FedEx SmartPost!! (Oxymoron!!)

It wasn't until almost three days after it was picked up from him in Michigan that they put it into the USPS in Warrendale, PA!! It then took the truck to Richmond, CA - over a week to get to me.

As I understand it, they are supposed to take it to the USPS distribution facility NEAR you before turning it over. What a WASTE of time.

Has to be a "designated" distribution center. Of which there are five in the US.
This is why "Smart Post" items coming from Amazon in Cincinnati, OH going to East TN must go to Cleveland, OH, then going south take I 75 through Knoxville, to Atlanta, GA. Where the USPS takes over. At least that's how the lady at FedEx explained it.

Common sense is not involved.

Richard M Nixon

Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Being that you have inside knowledge and are responsible in terms of your job, I am wondering if you have any tips for the rest of us to improve our "USPS POSTAL EXPERIENCE". I am being serious not sarcastic. Thanks

I'll try to explain.

FEDEX/UPS have some of the largest air fleets in the world. I believe FEDEX is above UPS at this point, as far as airlines in the USA. The USPS has one of the largest automotive fleets in the US.

FEDEX/UPS doesn't want to waste time with smaller items, since USPS is going there anyways, daily. USPS doesn't want to waste time with larger/heavier packages since the majority of door to door mail trucks is not feasible for larger items. USPS goes to almost every home daily, so cost effectively, FEDEX/UPS use them for final delivery on smaller items, and USPS doesn't have the space in their trucks for larger items.

That being said, I have a new mail truck. A Dodge ProMaster, it has about 3 times the space of the smaller USPS trucks, but they are left hand drive, so they don't work on all routes.

Scanners. We use GPS "real time" scanners. The only problem is since they are constantly updating, the battery life is horrible. In cold weather, it is not uncommon for the battery to be dead by 1pm (we start at 8am), so the easiest thing to do is when the battery level is low, is scan EVERYTHING in your truck as delivered. Obviously, this throws things off, if something says it is delivered at 1pm, but you don't get it until 7pm.

As far as the "notice left", it has been in my experience that the package never even left the post office in the first place. I am one of the first carriers out of our office in the morning, so if a package is accidently given to the wrong carrier, it will be sitting at my case (desk) when I get back. Sometimes the supervisors will take them out, but not all the time.

USPS loves to tout their "scan accuracy" so if something is overlooked, or a carrier never got it, they just scan it as "notice left". That's from the supervisors, not the carrier who left the office 4 hours ago. Almost every package can be left, unless it requires a signature. Out of ~200 packages I get a day, maybe 3 require a signature, usually I don't have any that require a signature. The "notice left" is more than likely something a carrier had no control over, he can only deliver what he has, but a supervisor had an arbitrary number that had to be met. Frustrating, yes. Especially when a customer asks you something you know nothing about. "I just looked online, it says my package is out for delivery". I can only deliver what is given to me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted February 12, 2017 03:49 PM Hide Post
quote:

I'll try to explain.

FEDEX/UPS have some of the largest air fleets in the world. I believe FEDEX is above UPS at this point, as far as airlines in the USA. The USPS has one of the largest automotive fleets in the US.

FEDEX/UPS doesn't want to waste time with smaller items, since USPS is going there anyways, daily. USPS doesn't want to waste time with larger/heavier packages since the majority of door to door mail trucks is not feasible for larger items. USPS goes to almost every home daily, so cost effectively, FEDEX/UPS use them for final delivery on smaller items, and USPS doesn't have the space in their trucks for larger items.

That being said, I have a new mail truck. A Dodge ProMaster, it has about 3 times the space of the smaller USPS trucks, but they aren't left hand drive, so they don't work on all routes.

Scanners. We use GPS "real time" scanners. The only problem is since they are constantly updating, the battery life is horrible. In cold weather, it is not uncommon for the battery to be dead by 1pm (we start at 8am), so the easiest thing to do is when the battery level is low, is scan EVERYTHING in your truck as delivered. Obviously, this throws things off, if something says it is delivered at 1pm, but you don't get it until 7pm.

As far as the "notice left", it has been in my experience that the package never even left the post office in the first place. I am one of the first carriers out of our office in the morning, so if a package is accidently given to the wrong carrier, it will be sitting at my case (desk) when I get back. Sometimes the supervisors will take them out, but not all the time.

USPS loves to tout their "scan accuracy" so if something is overlooked, or a carrier never got it, they just scan it as "notice left". That's from the supervisors, not the carrier who left the office 4 hours ago. Almost every package can be left, unless it requires a signature. Out of ~200 packages I get a day, maybe 3 require a signature, usually I don't have any that require a signature. The "notice left" is more than likely something a carrier had no control over, he can only deliver what he has, but a supervisor had an arbitrary number that had to be met. Frustrating, yes. Especially when a customer asks you something you know nothing about. "I just looked online, it says my package is out for delivery". I can only deliver what is given to me.

-----------------

Thank you for taking your time to explain all of the facts. I really appreciate understanding the issues involved, as I really had no idea.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
words n stuff

I'm really curious about your area. I had 16 certifieds to deliver along with all the signature tracking that gets thrown in the back of the truck for one route alone, last week. That was an anomaly, though. I normally have around 8 signature-required packages per day. And it takes a hell of a lot longer to case any particular route in our annex than you described in a prior post. (I believe you said you've got an hour to case and load, or something to that effect.) I start at 7:30 and don't get out of the annex until 10:30.

The Persian
Picture of PPGMD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

IME the Post Office is hit or miss. They are probably the fastest delivery to price ratio on the market, and get most packages on time or early but half the time I don't get scans until it hits my local post office. But when things go pear shaped the Post Office support is almost non existent.

While UPS and FedEx are extremely accurate on their delivery dates and scans but they are also slow, rarely delivering early. But when things go wrong they are much more willing to look into things.

I can't complain too much because often the USPS will deliver my 60lb packages of bullets to my house in 2-3 days for $11. I can't even get 5 day service from the other carriers for the same price.

-------
A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens, and you go faster.

Mr. Doom and Gloom
"King in the north!"
"Slow is smooth... and also slow.

Posts: 20052 | Location: At the wall | Registered: February 13, 2008Report This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Orguss,

Certifieds are accountable items, I was talking more along the lines of packages that don't need signatures that get "notice left".

I have a district court on my office, I get ALOT of certified letters. But they are accountable.

My office is an FSS sight. My office time is 35 minutes. I hit on at 8am, and I'm supposed to case my mail, load my truck, and be at my first stop by 9:10.

Don't even mention pivots...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Report This Post