SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Working Night shift and having a life
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Working Night shift and having a life Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have found the secret to working mids (for me anyway) is staying up late on days off. We work 2200-0600hrs. On my days off I usually stay up to 0300. Seems to help. Kids and wife are in bed and you can get a lot of gun maintenance and reloading done.

I have just come to terms with the fact I have to deal with 5-6 hours of sleep and just being tired.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I work day shift, have no life, and have not slept the whole night through more than two nights in a row in coming up on 6 years now.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25404 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
My secret is to take a benedryl and sleep up to 8 or 9 hours after the evening is finished. Flying nights is tough, nothing to look at other than radar occasionally, radios super quiet and let the auto pilot do the enroute stuff. As a freight dog it paid the bills and put the kids through college. Flying forest fires in the Bell 212's during in Alaska again at night (Twilight really) was a good change.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I can sleep like a baby when I don't have stuff going on. Yesterday was my first day without the kiddos in a while, slept 10 GLORIOUS hours. Woke up motivated and cleared out a mess of admin stuff I'd been putting off because I was too dang tired and busy the last several nights.

I work tonight and then have Wednesday off...then teaching 8:30-4:30 Thursday and 7:30-4:30 Friday. That will be "fun". Roll Eyes

Off Saturday and then back to the grind with the kiddos here.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did 7.5 years on nights. Thought I liked it until I worked days. Never. Going. Back.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
friend (not LEO) works for a oil/gas company,
he works a rotating shift,

it is tough for him since he got married,
his wife works M-F 7-4 office work,

I am not sure of the rotation, but basically 4-5 days, a few off, 4-5 mids (4-12) and a few off, then overnights, ,

all worked so they supposedly get a 3 day weekend every month or so,

he just hit 50 and it is starting to wear on him a bit,

had a neighbor when I was a teenager that had a similar shift with Dupont, and he seemed to have no issues with it

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure of the rotation, but basically 4-5 days, a few off, 4-5 mids (4-12) and a few off, then overnights, ,

I don't understand why companies do that. That would kill me...or any normal person, I'd imagine. The one saving grace of night shift is that at least it's (usually) consistently nights, and you can adapt your schedule to it. If they switched you around every few days, the body never gets time to adjust. And I don't understand what they accomplish by rotating people around like that that they couldn't accomplish with fixed shifts.

Posts: 8529 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having worked nearly every shift that you could imagine, I hated midnights the most.
At one place it was 7pm - 7am.
Another one was your basic 11pm 7am.
The worst was a 10 hour shift that was from 2pm - 12am. It turned into 2pm to like 3am or later some times. I was salary and hated it.
Sleep when you can I guess.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, did midnights and afternoons for most of my career.
I had no choice.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post