SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ford Edge Breakdown - Horrible Design
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford Edge Breakdown - Horrible Design Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Lots of youtubes on these Ford AWD PTU units. I would not own one but for those that do. You may want to watch these.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
For those saying that it has a drain plug, it most definitely DOES NOT.

There is no drain on the 2009 model year, it is a sealed unit. There is a fill on the top of the PTU that is sealed with a crimped-on vent cap that is very difficult to access. The only way to extract and fill the fluid in this model year (and many others) is to drill and NPT a hole in a specific spot.

The newest ones do have a drain plug in the unit, the first 6 or so years of production do not. This is a known issue by Ford, and just another example of shitty engineering. It's a mute point now anyway, my folks scrapped the car as it was a Cleveland Rust Belt car to begin with. Like most rust belt cars, it had a clean interior and a destroyed chassis. Hopefully it will live on replacing roached out AZ interiors.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a fill on the top of the PTU that is sealed with a crimped-on vent cap that is very difficult to access. The only way to extract and fill the fluid in this model year (and many others) is to drill and NPT a hole in a specific spot.

So this is in the side of the unit and a fill plug only? Is there any reason you can't also drill and tap a hole in the bottom for a drain?

Next chance I get I'll find and read this bulletin.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
So this is in the side of the unit and a fill plug only? Is there any reason you can't also drill and tap a hole in the bottom for a drain?

The vent cap is permanently attached to the top of the PTU for the 2009 model year. No plug of any sort on the sides or bottom. People have been drilling and taping a hole in a specific spot on the low portion of one side, in the same generally area that the new, revised unit has a plug.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post