SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Office Depot & Office Max Store
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office Depot & Office Max Store Login/Join 
posted
I was at Office Depot & Office Max Store with the intention of buying a printer, ink cartridges and desk chair. While standing in line I hear the cashier tell the person in front of me who spent $40.00 and change that her receipt has 10% off her next purchase. Since the chair tag is still in my hand I elect to not purchase the chair hoping I will also get a 10% off coupon so I can save a few dollars on my chair purchase.

I got a receipt that gave me $10.00 off a router and paper or paper and ink cartridges.

I saw the woman from in front of me standing outside the store. I asked her about the coupon. She confirmed it was for 10% off anything on her next purchase.

I asked the manager about getting 10% off a chair purchase. He checked and said he couldn't do that. I told him I just spent over $200.00 and the chair I was planning on purchasing was over $400.00. He wasn't able to do anything unfortunately. I appreciated his candor and he acknowledged the coupon issue didn't make any sense but his hands were tied.

Guess I'm going to a office only furniture store tomorrow.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 617 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigMaverick
posted Hide Post
quote:

Guess I'm going to a office only furniture store tomorrow.

Why?

Are they going to give you a 10% off your next purchase coupon?

--------------------------

I own a bunch of Sigs with Beavertails...

Posts: 937 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigMaverick

No I don't expect 10% off.

Why, won't they get my cash for the sale?
It's my protest to Office Depot & Office Max.
In the grand scheme of things it won't mean anything to them, but their store manager had to document a customer with cash walked out since he the store manager couldn't override a price and give a discount. If I had paid with a credit card they would of had to eat the 3%(?) finance charge.

I worked retail for corporations large and small in the past. Management trained and trusted employees to make a happy customer following guidelines. The Office Depot & Office Max manager on duty followed the corporation rules and I won't fault him for that. He didn't want to lose his job and I don't blame him.

I consider it a moral victory and isn't that part of "What's Your Deal!" about?

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why?

Are they going to give you a 10% off your next purchase coupon?

Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
So...you are upset that they wouldn't just give you a discount without a coupon?

Am I reading this right?

You can probably find a coupon online in < 60 seconds.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
So...you are upset that they wouldn't just give you a discount without a coupon?

Am I reading this right?

You can probably find a coupon online in < 60 seconds.
The way I'm reading the original post, he is annoyed because the customer in front of him received a coupon, but he did not. That would bother me too, a bit -- the fact that two successive customers are treated differently.

As far as finding a coupon online, maybe that's true, but he was at the store, ready to make the purchase, not at home with his computer, searching the internet.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

As far as finding a coupon online, maybe that's true, but he was at the store, ready to make the purchase, not at home with his computer, searching the internet.

Ah. I read it again and that makes more sense.

As far as finding a coupon, that's what phones are for now. I've grabbed a coupon on my phone moments before checking out multiple times.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To all:

As I said the store manager was very good to deal with.

He researched on line while I was standing there and also searching on line for a matching similar coupon. Unfortunately there weren't any to be found that hadn't expired. He was very good and assured me that this wasn't the first time this happened and that he would tell corporate again.

I have also sent a message to corporate advising them politely of my concern. I made sure they knew the manager was extremely helpful but his hands were tied.

Perhaps the advertising executives will consider this in future coupon promotions.

Time to move on, unless the company feels differently.

Have a nice day everyone!

posted Hide Post
quote:
The way I'm reading the original post, he is annoyed because the customer in front of him received a coupon, but he did not.

Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANKT:
quote:
The way I'm reading the original post, he is annoyed because the customer in front of him received a coupon, but he did not.

Thank you.

A lot of big box stores track customer purchases, so someone who is a first-time customer in the sales system may get a more desirable 10% coupon as a greater incentive to return than someone who is already regular customer.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FRANKT and iron chef,

Just to clarify the woman in front of me paid cash. She got the 10% off coupon that the cashier pointed out when the receipt was given for a $40 something purchase.

As I said "I got a receipt that gave me $10.00 off a router and paper or paper and ink cartridges."

Because I don't have a membership or rewards card and the customer in front of me paid cash and didn't state she had one or show one AND I confirmed the information with her outside the store, I felt I had a valid argument. The store manager agreed but couldn't do anything as I mentioned.

No response from the company yet...

Have a nice day everyone!

posted Hide Post
I had a coupon similar to that.
While at Harbour freight, one day .

I saw a fella purchasing a $400.00 compressor , so I gave it to him , he looked at me weird.

He checked out and was happy as happy could be,
then ! he turned around and thanked me .

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I can see that happening and I would say, "What about me?" I might also ask the lady if she could just give me her 10% coupon also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post