SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Had a car blow through a red light.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Had a car blow through a red light. Login/Join 
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted
Here's the video...

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
You have to keep your head on a swivel.

When Rt 28 was two lanes in the early 80's, a Loudoun County Deputy was passing a car on a double line in front of the Holiday Inn. It would have been a head on collusion except for me going off the road into the ditch.

Luckily, I had positraction on the 68 Chrysler Newport and powered out. Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
Notice he didn't have any of his lights on until he entered the intersection.
He was completely dark.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah 41, that mopar was a lead sled! Small wonder she powered out! Big ass beast!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At least once a week I'll see somebody blatantly run the red.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What a turd! He’s going to get somebody killed. Other than himself.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Yeah 41, that mopar was a lead sled! Small wonder she powered out! Big ass beast!

I put a positraction in it after I got it from my parents.

You could take the back seat out and haul 8 foot lumber and close the trunk. Big Grin

I even pulled a pickup out of a ditch.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Ohhh that burns me up.

One of my hats is being a NC LEO driving instructor.

Zero patience for this, it IS how people get killed.

If he worked for me I would want to see that video. This may not be his first time doing something like that, and he may need an ass chewing.

We just had an officer convicted for a fatality wreck a couple of weeks ago.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My brother was hit by a Deputy in NC in 1986 and died a year later. The speedometer was stuck on 60 and he was hit in the driver's side pillar resulting in a broken leg and cuts on the arm resulting in a large loss of blood.

My father went to the location and measured 170 feet of skid marks before the impact. The cars continued down the road kicking up gravel which knocked the glass out of all three sides of the phone booth. The person that lived there said that he never heard a siren but only a loud explosion.

I figure that he was doing in excess of 120 MPH. The Deputy was never charged.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
About a week ago a near-by local sheriff deputy was involved in a high speed chase of someone fleeing police.. during this chase the deputy crashed into a vehicle that was crossing a intersection (had green light) resulting in 2 high school girls killed and a brother of one of the girls is in hospital with life threating injuries.. Deputy has been arrested and charged with several offenses . Bond was set at $100,000. Any LEO has to be held responsible for their driving be it normal patrol or chasing a fleeing vehicle. Operator must drive with due regard to other traffic on the roadway and surrondings. ...................... drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
About a week ago a near-by local sheriff deputy was involved in a high speed chase of someone fleeing police.. during this chase the deputy crashed into a vehicle that was crossing a intersection (had green light) resulting in 2 high school girls killed and a brother of one of the girls is in hospital with life threating injuries.. Deputy has been arrested and charged with several offenses . Bond was set at $100,000. Any LEO has to be held responsible for their driving be it normal patrol or chasing a fleeing vehicle. Operator must drive with due regard to other traffic on the roadway and surrondings. ...................... drill sgt.

Yep that Officer kind busted our La. law wide open.

§24. Emergency vehicles; exceptions

A. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle, when responding to an emergency call, or when in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law, or when responding to, but not upon returning from, a fire alarm, may exercise the privileges set forth in this Section, but subject to the conditions herein stated.

B. The driver or rider of an authorized emergency vehicle may do any of the following:

(1) Park or stand, irrespective of the provisions of this Chapter.

(2) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down or stopping as may be necessary for safe operation.

(3) Exceed the maximum speed limits so long as he does not endanger life or property.
(4) Disregard regulations governing the
direction of movement or turning in specified directions.

C. The exceptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle or bicycle is making use of audible or visual signals, including the use of a peace officer cycle rider's whistle, sufficient to warn motorists of their approach, except that a police vehicle need not be equipped with or display a red light visible from in front of the vehicle.

D. The foregoing provisions shall not relieve the driver or rider of an authorized vehicle from the duty to drive or ride with due regard for the safety of all persons, nor shall such provisions protect the driver or rider from the consequences of his reckless disregard for the safety of others.

Acts 1962, No. 310, §1. Amended by Acts 1980, No. 160, §1; Acts 2011, No. 98, §1.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
This the the exact reason why I have a dashcam.
People lie. Authorities will lie.
You have to protect yourself against the obtuseness of incompetence.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I think it is a hard call. Too easy to blame the LEO for the crash while they are in pursuit.... and way too easy to just say let 'em go. What if they are chasing some guy who just raped your daughter? In some ways I think the accident is the fault of the person being chased if they actually broke the law and this is what lead to the chase and if a police officer is chancingy you and you are not stopping aren't you breaking the law? Then again part of the equation might be that there is a good chance the person being chased does not have insurance or deep pockets and so anyone hurt or killed in the chase ... their lawyers are going after the money....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
This the the exact reason why I have a dashcam.
People lie.

Yep, get yourself a dashcam people

After a he said, he said accident, no way to prove the other asshole was at fault. I put dash cams in all of our cars, the teen drivers are well aware that the cam is not an option and I will shit a brick if it's not installed or not working and they don't tell me immediately.

The other asshole even tried to submit a claim with my insurance, police report says no one is at fault. Tough shit dickhead, that was driving his moms new Mercedes, messed it up pretty good too

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I think it is a hard call. Too easy to blame the LEO for the crash while they are in pursuit.... and way too easy to just say let 'em go. What if they are chasing some guy who just raped your daughter? In some ways I think the accident is the fault of the person being chased if they actually broke the law and this is what lead to the chase and if a police officer is chancingy you and you are not stopping aren't you breaking the law? Then again part of the equation might be that there is a good chance the person being chased does not have insurance or deep pockets and so anyone hurt or killed in the chase ... their lawyers are going after the money....

If the fleeing suspect hits somebody, that is the suspect’s fault.

If an officer hits someone because they are driving without due regard, it is the officer’s fault.

It is the cornerstone of law enforcement driving. Just managed to get suppressed for the most part historically, similar to bad shoots prior to the internet and 24/7 news.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post