SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can Anybody Use A Military Post Office?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can Anybody Use A Military Post Office? Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
I have someone who tried to scam me on a watch using a military post office in Tampa, FL.

They have another watch up with the exact same statement that it's a display model that he no longer has any use for.

PayPal is refunding me my funds, but I want to know do they release the funds to the seller if the tracking number is generated or when the item is delivered?

I popped him the instant he waited a few days before generating the tracking the day before the promised delivery date.

The tracking was generated on a military base and IF this asshole is military, I would love for his CO to catch wind of someone scamming. I know that they frown on financial issues.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't recall there being any restrictions on who could use the post office on base. I think if you can get on base you can use it. So anyone with an ID card (active duty, reserve, dependent, retiree, civilian employee) or a pass (contractor) could be your perp.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Anyone can use it long as you can access the base .

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Anyone can use it long as you can access the base .

This. I've worked on Kirtland AFB for over 10 years, even lived behind the fence for a year. I use the post office all the time.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that not all military post office are on restricted access bases.

I’ve known them to be off post and on base housing areas also.

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So this asshole thinks he's being clever. When I look up the PO, it only shows military and not location like the others do.

I don't want him to get paid just because he's generated a label. The PO is still indicating item to scan in. He claimed he didn't know why they hadn't scanned it in yet days ago, then he ghosted me.

PayPal has given him three days to produce the item or he won't get paid.

Now he has another watch up (a different one) but with the same story about it being a demo he just doesn't need anymore.

He HAD 300 positive reviews, however I feel negs were taken down after refunds or he cancelled the order before they could complain.

I have no idea of how to scam on eBay other than getting shipping address to try and get those people's information to steal.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scamming people results in some signficant punishment if discovered by his command.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He's refusing to return my funds. Blaming the post office for "losing the box", but they would have scanned it the instant he brought it in with the label on it.

SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
FPO, AE 09618

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He's refusing to return my funds. Blaming the post office for "losing the box", but they would have scanned it the instant he brought it in with the label on it.

SHIPPING LBL CREATED USPS AWAITS ITEM
FPO, AE 09618

LMAO, this dude isn’t using a post office in Europe. Is he claiming to be in Europe?

“AE” is armed forces Europe. It’s an FPO/APO post office. Or overseas.

I was APO, AP “Armed Forces Pacific” while in Korea. He’s straight up lying if he’s not in Europe. File with PayPal and they will refund.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He claims he's in Tampa, FL.

The INSTANT i saw that generated I demanded a refund. He keeps claiming "the post office messed up". PP will demand he either get me my package or they will refund me my money.

I trying to figure out the scam here. Was he trying to wait out the holding period, then shut down the PP account before it could be reversed from him?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The scam is that he’s using an FPO, then when the buyer doesn’t get his stuff, the seller is blaming the post office. “Oh it’s a military PO account and they musta messed it up..” Yada yada yada.

Doesn’t mean he’s in the military, he’s just using the fpo to swindle people.

FPO and military based post office are two different things entirely. The FPO address gets shipped to a USPO facility and then bagged and flown to one of several destination sorting facilities, ie the “AE” in the address sends it to Activities Europe, AP means activities Pacific, and AA is for ships homeported stateside, but are abroad and the mail gets to play the get on the right helicopter game.

A military based PO is literally just like small town PO but on a base. And it’s use is limited to people who can get on base, unless it’s an unrestricted base where the public can drive aboard.

I’d call a mail inspector and see if they wanna chase it down(doubt it because they have a reputation of not doing anything)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
He could be using a spam account to generate the labels, and using the FPO to "hide" the actual location (so you can't call the PO to track the item).

Fake label, no actual item, total scam. You could file a report with the postal inspectors for fraudulent use of the PO, but I doubt it'd grab much attention.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My money s being refunded, I just don't get the angle of how he's going to collect.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
You sent the funds PayPal, correct? He doesn't need a physcial location for that.

Ask PayPal requires is a shipping label, and he can spoof that (using the APO/FPO) to release the funds to him.

Now if you were paying check/money order, it would be much harder to hide as he would need physical access to the post office. Not needed the way you described it though.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post