SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Giving Stuff Away
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giving Stuff Away Login/Join 
posted
Our town has a Buy Nothing Site. You have to register and there are obviously strict rules. No resale, porch pick up, no alcohol etc. You used to be able to post setting up a table on your tree lawn to give stuff away, like a garage sale, but for free. So the warden puts about 50 items out. Clothing, a live trap, unopened perfume, tennis rackets, kids clothing, a telescope..... And a very large stainless steel dog crate. The kind you put together with steel rods. Everything is there. I put the crate about 20 feet away from the tables leaning against a light pole. So what happens??? Someone cpmes along and just takes the bottom pan, and leaves the rest, making the doge crate useless!!! WTF is wrong with people. It was obviously all part of the same item. Now I will have to put it out for the scrappers the night before garbage pickup!!

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
My wife does the give away on FaceBook Marketplace thing. First come first get, must pick up. Invariably, people want it held and delivered. Without fail. This is why I refuse to play that game. Into the trash it goes. You're getting it for free, how difficult is it to get off your fat ass and come get it now?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also trash everything. But I destroy it first as I am a bad person

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
My wife does the give away on FaceBook Marketplace thing. First come first get, must pick up. Invariably, people want it held and delivered. Without fail. This is why I refuse to play that game. Into the trash it goes. You're getting it for free, how difficult is it to get off your fat ass and come get it now?

My wife gets really torqued when she goes to a house for a pickup, and the item isn't out!!!

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Replacement plastic pans are available in common crate dimensions

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oldbill123:
I also trash everything. But I destroy it first as I am a bad person

I do this as well. It is a litigious society, there is no way I want to get sued because some idiot tried to use my seriously dead lawn mower and damages themself. I render it useable and take a photo. If someone "fixes" it they can explain the how they got it to run without a connection between the fuel tank and the carb.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave away several thousand rounds of once fired brass to a member here.
I know I was never going to reload.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

You're giving it away for free and they want YOU to drive many miles away to deliver it to them??
To hell with that. Tell them you'll give them ten bucks to come and get it and give them the address
to a Walmart twenty miles away.

Posts: 954 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When we sold our last house, my wife and I gave away 99% of our stuff to family, friends, and friends of friends. We thought we were going to live overseas for a couple of years before returning and didn't want to pay storage fees.

Even the old stuff were in great condition since we never had children. We only kept stuff in a 5' x 10' storage space.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I participate in our local buy nothing group on Facebook. I take good care of my stuff, so it's a good way to get rid of perfectly usable stuff when I upgrade to something better.

I recently picked up a very nice kids play table made to look like a wood working workbench, and a pair of Sennheiser HD595. $15 for summer replacement ear pads and head band pads and it's as good as new.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Around here, all you've got to do is put it out on the curb.

It's usually gone within the hour.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Around here, all you've got to do is put it out on the curb.

It's usually gone within the hour.
That's what I do . I once demo'd a wood deck and hauled the wood out to the road for the trash truck . A guy knocked on my door and asked if I would mind if he picked through the wood for Deer stand material . He promised he wouldn't make a mess . My neighbor across the street usually takes whatever I put out if somebody else doesn't get it first .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four months ago Purdy put a plastic cooler out on the curb for whomever .
Looked brand new.

I passed by it three times in 8 hours.
A Coleman 28 quart.

The fourth time I went by I put it in the trunk.

I use it when I go to the grocery store in the big city.
It's the perfect size.
I can load it up full and still make it up the stairs.

Two weeks ago I put a thank you note in an envelope with $6.00 and dropped it off in her mail box.
( What I would have paid for it at a garage sale)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54633 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
quote:
...But I destroy it first...

...I do this as well. It is a litigious society...

YEP ^^^^^^

Just a couple weeks ago I had an old box fan that the switch went bad on so I hot wired it to high speed. Fan worked fine... Just had to plug/un-plug it to turn it on or off for a couple days until I could replace it. Cut the cord off before I threw away the fan...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
We remodeled a couple of rooms a few months ago. Had some stuff we didn’t use so wife put it on FB marketplace. Guy picked some stuff up. Had some more a week or so later so she contacted the guy. When he came over to get it he drove his friggin truck up into my front yard Mad I jumped his shit. Does my yard look like I drive on it?

Posts: 1223 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
quote:
...But I destroy it first...

...I do this as well. It is a litigious society...

YEP ^^^^^^

Just a couple weeks ago I had an old box fan that the switch went bad on so I hot wired it to high speed. Fan worked fine... Just had to plug/un-plug it to turn it on or off for a couple days until I could replace it. Cut the cord off before I threw away the fan...
Why throw it away ? You can get a cord switch from any hardware store so that you don't have to plug or unplug ,

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
Why throw it away ? You can get a cord switch from any hardware store so that you don't have to plug or unplug ,

It was a cheap < $20 box fan, rusty, 10 or so years old and noisy with low output that had been used on the deck for the last 3 or 4 years despite it not being outdoor rated. I had 2x2 legs screwed to the case to keep it from constantly falling over... getting the picture? I thought its time had come and gone Big Grin

I replaced it with an outdoor rated high velocity model with a swivel stand.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I want to say this has been a very useful rant thread, unlike many,

I have a storage unit full of stuff I would like to give away, and a very few things that are worth selling (like a Festool sander I don't use).
I've decided against posting items for sale on Craigslist, because I don't want to deal with the kind of stuff mentioned in this thread.
I will probably take a bunch of old and duplicate tools to Habitat for Humanity.

I'm so sick of drowning in stuff from 3 or 4 moves ago--duplicates, no longer needed, etc. Sometimes I think of stopping payment on the storage unit and leaving town.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I don't put out stuff for free. Instead I give it to a local charity to sell for a few bucks. Much easier just give it to them to deal with. My development has a yearly yardsale but I won't participate. I refuse to deal with the scum that come looking to offer you 10 cents for an item worth $10 and you priced it to move at $1.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I want to say this has been a very useful rant thread, unlike many,

I have a storage unit full of stuff I would like to give away, and a very few things that are worth selling (like a Festool sander I don't use).
I've decided against posting items for sale on Craigslist, because I don't want to deal with the kind of stuff mentioned in this thread.
I will probably take a bunch of old and duplicate tools to Habitat for Humanity.

I'm so sick of drowning in stuff from 3 or 4 moves ago--duplicates, no longer needed, etc. Sometimes I think of stopping payment on the storage unit and leaving town.

Dibs on that Festool sander if you don't want it Smile

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post