SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Apple TV remote
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple TV remote Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
New remote is better than the last version. But I’ve really come to hate the search button location. Or even that it exists.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
The search is now Siri with a click on the side of the remote.

My remote is far too damn sensitive, just touch it and it’s off to the races.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I just use the vocal search feature. Seems to work okay.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t need search, verbal or otherwise. But the issue is that I keep pressing the button when I do t want to. I’ll be watching something and wanting to change the volume, for example, and press the search button. Or just need to move the remote and I’ll hit the button. I keeps unintentionally stopping the watching.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
If you have an iPhone or iPad handy, when you click on a streaming service's search function, a keyboard pops up on your iPhone or iPad, making typing easy and quick.

I find the remote's functionality to vary according to the streaming service I'm using. On some services, for example, the remote's scroll wheel to advance or rewind doesn't work.

Our favorite feature of the remote is to ask Siri "What'd he say?" so that what we're watching rewinds 15 seconds and the subtitles come on for that length of time to repeat what was unintelligible to us.

Posts: 1265 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
If you have an iPhone or iPad handy, when you click on a streaming service's search function, a keyboard pops up on your iPhone or iPad, making typing easy and quick.

I find the remote's functionality to vary according to the streaming service I'm using. On some services, for example, the remote's scroll wheel to advance or rewind doesn't work.

Our favorite feature of the remote is to ask Siri "What'd he say?" so that what we're watching rewinds 15 seconds and the subtitles come on for that length of time to repeat what was unintelligible to us.

Didn't know it did that but will try it tonight. I am always asking the wife..what he/she say?

And I cant get mine to mute anymore with the new Samsung TV

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1369 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Update — I despise the combination touchpad + select button with the four-way direction click buttons. It should have a way to turn off the touchpad in a configuration. I am always sliding the touchpad as I select, and end up selecting something else.

-------

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Update 2 -- my wife discovered that the AppleTV remote controls the TV power as well as the AppleTV power, so one remote is all we need. I'm beginning to accept the remote as suboptimal but workable.

-------

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Update 2 -- my wife discovered that the AppleTV remote controls the TV power as well as the AppleTV power, so one remote is all we need. I'm beginning to accept the remote as suboptimal but workable.

If you have a CEC compatible receiver, it should turn that on/off as well.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Just be thankful you don't have the original remote. The touch pad area was glass. Drop it once, and it is toast. Don't ask me how I know.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I do have the original. I paid to buy the new style - that’s how much I hated the original. The new is incrementally better. There are still issues with it and general UI behavior of the tv device. Inconsistent. Inefficient. Unintuitive. Etc.