SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Password Rules SUCK
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Password Rules SUCK Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm working from multiple locations, 3 computers, 2 tablets, 2 phones. The VPN doesn't even enter into their unhappiness. lol

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Sigmonkey, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking my glass of wine yet or it would be all over my keyboard and monitor. That was hilarious! Thanks!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
At work, we have to make a new password every 3 months. I basically use the same password but change the symbol at the end. So I went from ! to @ to #, etc.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I can't remember a password that doesn't at least vaguely spell out a word or phrase.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I can't remember a password that doesn't at least vaguely spell out a word or phrase.

I'm a big fan of passphrases, but not every system allows them. Frown

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

<broken record>Password manager application</broken record> Then one need remember only one Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I try to remember them. I also try to link the password to the site. For example, a work-related site has a password that is the street address of where I work.

Special characters replace letters that make sense. Ampersand = a, for example.

And, I try to use Bible verses as passphrases. In this way, I can take a reference verse, like John 3:16, and make it J0hn3:16. Often this suffices for the security requirements.

I do also use Dashlane to story all passwords in a journal-like list. One master password, and all are available to me.

I also like Apple, now using "sign in using Apple" as a method. I only have to recall the machine password, to unlock each site. I have no idea what the password really is. Apple does it for me. I just recall the machine password.

What is my machine password again?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
You definitely need a decent password vault. Besides generating pseudo random PWs per site rules they have other helpful features too. For each account:
* A username field
* A PW field (of course)
* A URL field
* Arbitrary named fields. E.g., CS phone number
* A Notes field for any useful info. E.g., answers for “Security questions”

If you put the login site in the URL field clicking the URL will launch your browser of choice and automatically log you in (for many accounts).

I’d hate to be without a PW vault. I have mSecure. A reasonable one-time fee rather than an annual subscription. Automatically syncs the mSecure apps on my smartphone and laptop.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Two serious questions about these apps:

What is the likelihood of them getting breached?

And what happens if your phone screws up or isn’t available?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:

The Password Manager that I use keeps the data base on the local device (phone, tablet, computer). It does offer the option to sync to other devices via the cloud, but if that option is used, everything that goes through the cloud is encrypted, so even if the cloud server is hacked, the data are still encrypted.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Greater than zero and (probably) less than one-hundred percent? Smile

They're software. Software is imperfect. Can it happen? Of course it can. Will it happen? Maybe. Will you be targeted? Maybe.

quote:
As with anything else you store on only your phone: You're screwed.

Most of these applications keep a copy of your credentials database in cloud storage. (Which is actually the bigger threat, in my mind.) So, if your phone screws up or otherwise becomes unavailable: You're inconvenienced only so long as it takes to fix the phone problem.

The application I use mirrors the database between my phone and my tablet via iCloud storage. I manually download the file and save it on my computer via browser access to iCloud. (The iOS/iPadOS app also allows you to "share" the database via email, text messaging, etc.) I have a desktop app that can then use that same database.

My keyring (another way of saying "password manager") encrypts the database with very strong encryption. It is that encrypted database that's shared to iCloud. iCloud then encrypts it again. I gauge the odds of somebody breaking that doubly-encrypted database as acceptably high.

Is any of this ideal? No. But until the tech world comes up with something better than manually-entered, manually-maintained username/email-address/password credentials: It's the best we have.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m planning to switch to a password manager app today. What are the better options? Two or three are mentioned in this thread, but looking for educated opinions. Don’t mind spending a few dollars if necessary.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Zerohedge had an interesting article on password security which stated " A twelve-character password with one uppercase letter, one number and one symbol is almost unbreakable, taking a computer 34,000 years to crack".

With just 26 lower case letters, a password of eight characters has 26^8, so around 209 billion possible combinations. Adding the uppercase, we already arrive at 52^8, around 53.5 trillion combinations. With the numbers in there, it’s 62^8 or 218 trillion combinations.

Symbols add another great potential for security, but since only the handful displayed on computer keyboards are convenient to use, this ups the number of combinations once more to around 90^8 or 430 trillion combinations

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m planning to switch to a password manager app today. What are the better options? Two or three are mentioned in this thread, but looking for educated opinions. Don’t mind spending a few dollars if necessary.
I use 1Password, but: I bought it way back when it was a one-time purchase, so I'm grandfathered in. Now it is sold rented to you on a subscription basis, so while the product is excellent, the marketing model is not.

If they ever decide not to honor the lifetime purchase that I made and I need to change from 1Password I will most likely go with mSecure or BitWarden.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for this discussion. I’ve been thinking of getting a password keeper for quite a while now.

It looks like Bitwarden has a free option and even their upgraded personal version is only $10/year..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometime back I read an article about the fellow that invented the password system. He apologized, simply stating that two nonsensical phrases would be impossible to crack. Unfortunately, that is not available on any website I have found.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Yeah, speaking as a former SysAdmin, it really is JUST the length of the password string, not any of that other crap.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caribouhunter
posted Hide Post
To get around the “can’t use dictionary “ words, I have started to use gun companies, cartridges, reloading phrases. Simple to remember and does not get flagged.
I.e. cartridge, grains, powder…add a special character, all good to go.

Making this one up ( I know it is wrong) ... 38special4grV110!!

Posts: 420 | Location: White Lake TWP. - Michigan | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Yeah, speaking as a former SysAdmin, it really is JUST the length of the password string, not any of that other crap.

To some extent that’s right. The difficulty of cracking a PW increase exponentially with its length, but only linearly with the the character set size. But many sites limit the length of PWs, so a greater character set size does help security in that case.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
There should be rules on attempts in order to work against brute force attacks.
Usually requiring a time out or a reset.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post