SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Ebay. A wasteland of stupidty. Are there no longer listing fees?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ebay. A wasteland of stupidty. Are there no longer listing fees? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I'm searching for a used car part, a seat track/slider mechanism.

Searching for the car year, model, used and "seat" comes back with 1,016 results.

1,013 of them are for seat belt mechanism refurbishing companies.

All from 3 companies. About 5-10% from one company, all the rest from the other 2.

So what's the point of having 500 identical listings?

Is it like an arms race? "Well the competition has 400 identical ads, in order to stay in the game, we need 500 identical ads!" Roll Eyes

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The parts overlap and tendency to show items with similar names is annoying. I’m not sure how they are doing listings these days.

eBay can at times be both a treasure trove as well as a garbage dump. For extremely hard to find items it can be worth while but as you pointed out, when you are on the quest for that hard to find item you often have to sift through mountains of seemingly unrelated items on eBay.

I’ve noticed for certain bike brands and bike related parts with generic names there can be a ton of overlap. I try to add things to the search to narrow it down but that doesn’t always help.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Try car-part.com

Online salvage yard search engine, very easy to use and open to all both professional and back yard wrenchers.

I've used it for late model cars and as far back as looking for a transmission for a 1939 Cadillac, actually found one listed there.

Ebay has changed and not for the better at least in my opinion. Hardly ever seriously look at it any more.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
EBay: I bought a LL Bean wool shirt from a high rated seller. When it arrived, it stunk so bad with some kind of unidentifiable stench that I could not keep it indoors. After multiple washes, it stunk up the washer. Off to the dry cleaner it went. Dry cleaned the stench. I ended up throwing it away.
My Ebay buys lately run the gamut from really great ($400 Eddie Bauer GoreTex/Goose Down parka for $65) to the really crappy. You pay your money, you take your chances.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The multiple identical ads I'm talking about aren't even for the part, they're to repair your part. So model, makes, year etc are really irrelevant, that's what makes it even stranger.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
EBay: I bought a LL Bean wool shirt from a high rated seller. When it arrived, it stunk so bad with some kind of unidentifiable stench that I could not keep it indoors. After multiple washes, it stunk up the washer. Off to the dry cleaner it went. Dry cleaned the stench. I ended up throwing it away.
My Ebay buys lately run the gamut from really great ($400 Eddie Bauer GoreTex/Goose Down parka for $65) to the really crappy. You pay your money, you take your chances.

Curious why you didn't send the garment back to the seller for a refund or replacement? This is one of the reasons I try and buy stuff locally even though it may cost more money.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the seller said they did not accept returns.
And after the dry clean bill, return shipping would have just added insult to injury.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
IIRC, the seller said they did not accept returns.
And after the dry clean bill, return shipping would have just added insult to injury.

I imagine a lot of buyers get burned by misunderstanding that "does not accept returns" thing.

Thing is: That does not apply if the item is not as-advertised or as-described. If an item is Significantly Not As-Described (SNAD - yes, there's really an acronym for it), they have no choice but to accept a return on their dime.

One time I received something SNAD. Notified the seller. He balked. He finally invoked the "returns not accepted" thing. I explained that didn't apply if the item was SNAD. He stuck to his story. I opened a dispute with eBay. He waited until the very last day to initiate a return.

Clothes are tricky on eBay. I'm disinclined to do it, anymore, after receiving UA shirts that were, technically, as-described, but not as expected.

Then there was the one I bought, one time, that seemed fine--until the first time I put it on. Some of the weave must've been marginal, because it all-of-a-sudden developed this big patch that had a distinctly different color and texture. Had to take the hit on that one.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Yes, there are no listing fees, for many sellers. Here's mine and I haven't sold anything in over a year.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
No listing fees and they charge you like 15% of your sale price for fees.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post