SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subscription printer ink
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Subscription printer ink Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
In 2023 I bought a HP inkjet printer. It came with 2 sets of ink cartridges. It also offered a "Subscription" for ink in the future of which I declined.
It was a little over a year when I needed to replace the first cartridges but because I declined the "Subscription" the 2an set would not work. I don't use the printer much.
Bought some off brand ink that worked well until I foolishly updated the drivers for my printer.
I have some new off brand coming today, claims it has new up dated chips in them.
Looking around the net it looks like most printer companies are in to the "Subscription" scam.


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4731 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Ink cartridges are a racket, all right, bordering on criminal collusion. I had an all-in-one printer once that would, like yours, shut down all functions when it "thought" a cartridge was empty. This seriously pissed me off when I wanted to print an all-black-text page but the color was empty.

Ditch that thing and get something like an Epson Eco-Tank. You fill reservoirs (black, cyan, magenta & yellow) from bottles. These aren't cheap either, but last much longer. Aftermarket ink is available; the ink itself is fine, but the bottle dispensers are iffy. If you don't need all-in-one, you can get these for about the same price as 3-4 cartridges.
 
Posts: 32079 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
A major part of the reason I swore off inkjets entirely.

Give you a printer and then rob you blind on ink.

I have a pair of Brother printers. B&W laser for 99% of what I do and a modified version of a color laser for photos. It's not a "true" color laser as they are (or were, last time I looked) prohibitively expensive, but I don't recall the technical difference. It's a HL-L3230CDW "compact digital color printer"

All I know is it reproduces good images and the toner doesn't dry up or quit working.




Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
 
Posts: 16729 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I went to a brother laser printer and never looked back.

My work has a subscription and it is handy to have it mailed to you when you need it. They dont send it until the printer tells them it is close to being empty!!!
 
Posts: 8326 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
According to hp I average 7 pages a month.
My first cartridge should only have 300 pages printed since I got it. Should just now be running out, been through 2.


Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.
 
Posts: 4731 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
According to hp I average 7 pages a month.
My first cartridge should only have 300 pages printed since I got it. Should just now be running out, been through 2.


Get a brother or epson laserprinter and dump HP!!!!
 
Posts: 8326 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
My wife has the HP subscription and has had no trouble with it or them.

Me, on the other hand, had a subscription to HP Ink and they sent me an email saying I would be better off transferring to an annual plan since I printed so few pages.

I did that and it stunk. A week or so ago, my printer started printing very lightly. Called HP and they said the ink showed half full. I went to my friends at Amazon and got a new cartridge over night and it worked fine. I sent the HP cartridges back to HP and called and fired them.

A CS Rep called the next day and tried to get me back. He said it appeared the cartridge had dried up and that's why it didn't print and showed half full. He said if that happened again, I could just send the cartridge back to HP and they'd refresh it. Of course I'd be without the ability to print while this was going on.

No deal, they stayed fired and I'll use this ink I bought till it runs out, then maybe check out the Brother system.

Bob
 
Posts: 1867 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I went to a brother laser printer and never looked back.


I gave up on Inkjets years ago. Never use cheap Chinese toner. It ruined one laser printer and the cartridges are not full.


__________________________________________________

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
 
Posts: 4642 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
We hardly print anymore, but I bought another inkjet last fall. It takes ink from bottles; no cartridges.
 
Posts: 14935 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I will never buy another HP printer for this reason. Once you subscribe to their "deal", they lock down the printer so you can ONLY use their cartridges and no others.

FUCK HP.


________________________________________

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
 
Posts: 18847 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I bought an Epson inkjet almost 4 years ago when I moved, and it's been great. The ink never dries up (and I don't print very much, maybe a few pages a month). I get OEM replacement cartridges at Walmart.
 
Posts: 8102 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Subscription printer ink

© SIGforum 2026