SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Yeah, yeah "the spice must flow"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yeah, yeah "the spice must flow" Login/Join 
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted
1st world problem I know, but I go to season some food. Evenly sprinkled would do nicely, but I end up with a mountain range of tiny ant hill mounds of seasoning... almost like mini Devil's Towers. Think Dreyfuss in Close Encounters with the mashed potatoes. With yet more that completely misses the food item, this stuff ain't gettin' any cheaper and, in some cases harder and harder to find.

I like bold flavors and tend to overseason food anyways, so I don't need any help from the seasoning distributors in burning through their products.

Yeah, sometimes the pour holes get a little plugged up... but [Biden voice] c'mon man[/Biden voice], how 'bout shrinking those Chunnels down some to match the size of the seasoning grains. Think I saw a Euro train pass through a couple times. I just checked and can pass a 9mm cartridge completely through the openings on one bottle and part way through on a different one.

I just spent some time going through the spice selection and taping over several of the openings on some of the more regularly used ones.

According to Muad'Dib (Paul Atreides) "the spice must flow"...but how 'bout we slow it down just a tad.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I just went through this a couple of days ago with Montreal Chicken seasoning.

I'm gradually learning to hold the bottle up, put it pretty much level and tap on it with a finger to just get a sprinkle.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Save a couple of spice containers that have the smaller sprinkle holes and transfer what you have into them as they go empty.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Humidity plugs them up. Don’t sprinkle over cooking food and you can probably avoid a lot of it. Or you can just poke the holes lol

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I wish I had that problem with my pepper shaker...Time to switch back to the grinder, though.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I buy bags of spices in bulk from the Spice House and transfer into stainless shakers that I bought on Amazon. Works good.

Only problem I have is when a seasoning mix has different size spices in them. For instance, my Creole seasoning has stuff like garlic powder, salt, paprika, etc. But it also has herbs that are not as small. If I use my shaker I end up without herbs and they are all left in the jar at the end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Humidity plugs them up. Don’t sprinkle over cooking food and you can probably avoid a lot of it. Or you can just poke the holes lol

Humidity? What's that?

We got none here. Smile

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Humidity? What's that?

We got none here. Smile

Yup. That’s why you got no nice trees. Lol

I’ve lived in a high desert before. Only plants making it are on north faces/slopes where they hide from that nuclear fire we call Sol.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pour the spices into your palm, then pinch some between your other finger and thumb to sprinkle over top of the dish. This gives you much greater control over spice application than dumping it directly out of the container (especially when dealing with overly large holes).

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Humidity? What's that?

We got none here. Smile

Yup. That’s why you got no nice trees. Lol

I’ve lived in a high desert before. Only plants making it are on north faces/slopes where they hide from that nuclear fire we call Sol.

We got nice trees. Here's a picture of a few.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Save a couple of spice containers that have the smaller sprinkle holes and transfer what you have into them as they go empty.

I usually save the empty ones just as a quick visual reminder of which ones to add to the shopping list then trash them after the re-buy but I'm going to pay more attention to which ones have the best sized pour holes and maybe save those for reuse.

quote:
Originally posted by Signified:

Although I did mention the pour holes sometimes getting plugged up as a good reason for the large pour holes, my bitch was the flip side of that... the oversized holes are pouring out too much.

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I buy bags of spices in bulk from the Spice House and transfer into stainless shakers that I bought on Amazon. Works good...

Hmm, having always grabbed whatever seasonings off a store shelf that caught my fancy and were cheap, I never considered shopping bulk seasonings. I'm not much of a cook but I'll look into whether to invest in that option.

Thanks all for reading my gripe and your suggestions for solving it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Pour the spices into your palm, then pinch some between your other finger and thumb to sprinkle over top of the dish. This gives you much greater control over spice application than dumping it directly out of the container (especially when dealing with overly large holes).

The simplest ideas are the best. Of course, you're right.

I think the only reason I hadn't considered that simple fix is that, while I LOVE food, I frequently fast and when I do get around to eating I want something quick and tasty, and hopefully with a little nutritional value.. but my objective is to get in and out of the kitchen as fast as possible, to move on to other activities/ chores, getting back to reading or watching stuff. So grabbing a bottle and shaking seems fastest, but I'm going to re-train myself to try your suggestion. Bet it doesn't take any longer and I'll probably save a few pesos.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Give the bottle a shake BEFORE you open the top and then shake it into your palm . Dispense as needed .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is indeed an unfortunate incident. Melange has reached confiscatory rates!

I have been using blue (pick your color) masking tape to cover up most of the holes in the tops of those pesky delivery devices. YMMV, but I can pull it off for a full blast, and the tape goes right back on and seems to last forever if I wipe off the top first. It's a money-saver too.

Happy shaking!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms.”

-Robert A Heinlein Nov. 1959

Posts: 42 | Location: Idaho | Registered: August 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Power is nothing
without control
posted Hide Post
*pushes glasses up nose* um, akshully, it was the spacing guild that said the spice mush flow. Muad’dib tried to stop all spice production and export to get the emperors attention. He did NOT want the spice to flow! Wait…this ain’t the Lair! Oops!

Anyway, my wife tends to combat this by pouring the spices into the palm of her hand and then takes a pinch at a time to sprinkle over the food. She doesn’t trust the built-in caps with holes.

- Bret

Posts: 2461 | Location: OH | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max_Vano:
That is indeed an unfortunate incident. Melange has reached confiscatory rates!

Big Grin

quote:
I have been using blue (pick your color) masking tape to cover up most of the holes in the tops of those pesky delivery devices. YMMV, but I can pull it off for a full blast, and the tape goes right back on and seems to last forever if I wipe off the top first. It's a money-saver too.

Happy shaking!

Great tip, as the cellophane tape I'm currently using leaves something to be desired.

quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
*pushes glasses up nose* um, akshully, it was the spacing guild that said the spice mush flow. Muad’dib tried to stop all spice production and export to get the emperors attention. He did NOT want the spice to flow! Wait…this ain’t the Lair! Oops!

Anyway, my wife tends to combat this by pouring the spices into the palm of her hand and then takes a pinch at a time to sprinkle over the food. She doesn’t trust the built-in caps with holes.

- Bret

Ha! I KNEW an SF member would eventually come along and check me. You sir, are of course correct...and you get a gold star and

I took a little bit of poetic license with my unimportant rant, thinking that more members would recognize Muad'Dib (Paul Atreides) name, rather than referencing "the Spacing Guild" or the Space Navigator.

If I'm not mistaken, in the novel Dune (which I have not read), Paul Atreides did say:

Paul turned back to look at the Emperor, said: “When they permitted you to mount your father’s throne, it was only on the assurance that you’d keep the spice flowing. You’ve failed them, Majesty. Do you know the consequences?”

I could be mistaken but I have the vaguest recollection that the Bene Jesuit mother also quoted this line in the movie.