SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Mice and vehicles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mice and vehicles Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Last couple of times I've used the Cabota, there's been a distinct aroma of eau de' mouse.

It's been too hot and/or I've been too busy and/or not in the mood to deal with it.

The stars aligned today and I attacked it. I knew it was between the headliner and the roof of the cab. There are 16 10mm bolts of various lengths and a dozen or so of those wretched push-pin plastic fasteners holding the two pieces (headliner and roof) together and all of the cold end of the AC plus all the ducting and gates/actuators/plumbing/wiring is sandwiched in there.

Things came apart fairly easily, especially once I realized that the push pin fasteners were the kind where you push the little pin IN to release it. Fortunately, the roof is plastic and doesn't weigh much. Vacuumed out the mouse house, a handful of seed and one deceased baby meese. Hosed it down liberally with Febreeze and then the fun began.

Getting that headliner back up in position and getting all the bolts started was REAL fun. Trying to hold the headliner up with one hand, fish around for the hardware with the other and get the bolts started in blind holes whilst working over my head was just SUCH a joy.

Amazingly, I stayed relatively calm (only required one minor and quite mild dose of verbal lubrication) and got it done with no parts left over. Even had to take it partway back off because I discovered that the left hand A/C duct had to go in from underneath. I was able to wiggle it in without having to drop the whole headliner which would almost certainly have generated an impressive stream of verbal lubrication.

Anyhoo, it's done and it smells MUCH better in there.

Until I fart...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If that is an issue, be glad you don't have a Yaris. Wink

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I fight a running battle with the varmints nesting in my mower and SxS. So far I'm winning 2 - 0 + a bunch of baby meeces that got put out for the local owls and raptors.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
As you know - some of you have found out the hard way - mice like to chew car wiring. I once had a Chevy Silverado with long crank time before starting and a camshaft position sensor code. I suspected something was up when I saw the mouse nest near - and in - the underhood fuse box. So I fished around behind the intake manifold where the sensor is and came up with a handful of loose wires. I had to remove the intake to get to them for repair, and there was mouse nesting under that, too. There are plenty more examples.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The bastards destroyed the wiring harness on my NH TC-40.I hate meeces to pieces.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
This stuff works amazing at eliminating odor. Just make sure to get the unscented version, the scented version is awful.

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGMAN45:
The bastards destroyed the wiring harness on my NH TC-40.I hate meeces to pieces.

The little bastards ate the wiring harness on my John Deere 4600. Mad

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2015 VW TDI wiring was munched on by Pack Rats. VW warranty took care of the repairs and I soon afterward sold the car back to VW.

VW people told me German wiring coverings are the favorite food for those little critters.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Getting that headliner back up in position and getting all the bolts started was REAL fun. Trying to hold the headliner up with one hand, fish around for the hardware with the other and get the bolts started in blind holes whilst working over my head was just SUCH a joy.

Easier if you just lay the tractor on its side. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I just upped my rodent prevention around the house. I saw evidence of chewing near/on the seal to out Bilco basement door. I have two ‘bait houses’ setup, but haven’t refreshed them recently.

I cleaned & refreshed both, and I bought two more from Amazon. With a dog I put them where she can never get near, under a tight deck & the other covered by a wood house with a large rock.

I have a few traps in the shed, but a refreshed bait house is on duty 24/7/365. No I don’t care if a dead mouse dies anywhere, I just want them dead,

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Easier if you just lay the tractor on its side. Smile

Now why didn't I think of that? Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Years ago during deer hunting season would go to a brothers house (old wood frame off the ground farm house) out in the country that had a bad mouse problem .... would set and bait multible traps.. After lights out you could hear the snap sound of the traps activated through out the night.. also with the lights down real low in the living room and watching tv with a BB gun in our laps on the ready to pick off some of the little critters as they scampered along the edges of the wall baseboards. With the proper lead distance made for good target practice....... ............. drill sgt.

Posts: 1952 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
A two weeks ago I pulled the transmission out of my Jeep. Mouse house.

While I had it out of the way I did frame repair where the belly pad mounts. Cutting out the rusty mounting locations…. mouse house.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For my Kubota, it is not so much the mice that are a problem. They do bring the Mesquite seed pods up into the engine compartment to eat, and leave quite a mess, but they do not bother the wires. The real problem is the black widow spiders that leave webs all over the underside. I have to take a stick and sweep off the webs almost every time I use it, and I am still not sure the spider is not lurking up in there somewhere.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Www.rinnecorp.com

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
My home AC condenser crapped out the other day, turns out a mouse made a nest where the relays and wiring is located and chewed one of the wires. Anyone have anything that might keep them from returning?

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the word yesterday that the tree rats got my wiring on the 2015 chevy silverado for another $540! That's $1700 this year alone

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Repaired a 2013 Toyota Tundra today. They found their way under the intake manifold, left nesting material and chewed through a knock sensor wire. A while back I had a 2002 Chevy S-10 that wouldn't go over 50 mph and struggled to get even there. Even for a four-cylinder automatic, that's bad. The air filter box was so packed with nesting that the engine simply couldn't breathe.

Many engines have decorative/soundproofing plastic covers on them these days. Most of them simply pull off. Remove them every so often and look for signs of nesting.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

My home AC condenser crapped out the other day, turns out a mouse made a nest where the relays and wiring is located and chewed one of the wires. Anyone have anything that might keep them from returning?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post