SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    The continual references to “urine soaked.”
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The continual references to “urine soaked.” Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
There are many criticisms and characterizations that can legitimately be levied against the current White House occupant, but I have been missing something if it’s true that he regularly loses control of his bladder. Every time I open that thread to see what new revelations may be posted about him and the important things that will actually affect me and the Nation, I seldom can avoid the mental image that that term brings to mind. I would, however, be willing to accept it if there were any evidence that it is true—so, is it? If so, what is the evidence? Inquiring minds would like to know.

As a side issue, if you accuse the man of the condition without any evidence other than your belief that all old people are incontinent, then I suggest you examine other similar beliefs you may hold without evidence. Logical thinking is a useful skill even in these times when illogical thinking seems to be becoming so common. The one-eyed man in the valley of the blind comes to mind. Plus, if you are convinced that all old people inevitably become incontinent at some point, then I recommend that you avoid becoming old yourself. I have seen it (thus far only in others, fortunately) and you won’t like it.

Finally, if you feel compelled to lard your posts with the term whenever the opportunity presents itself only because of your fascination with human excretory functions, how about just growing up?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the same thing. I thought maybe I had missed an account of it.

Even if true, I'm not sure of the purpose, all other things going on considered.

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
This thread is taking the piss. Big Grin

Joking aside, it's a few posters who seem unable to form a statement on a political subject without adding the obligatory personal attack on whoever is the author of the item or policy in question.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Are you seriously trying to defend this dementia-addled potato of a so-called President?

Roll Eyes

He deserves that term and much more, a thousand times a day.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The criticism is purely insulting and degrading of the individual.

It is exactly the the negative and repulsive imagery you describe that is the goal of its use as a pejorative.
Perhaps the overuse and needing more variety of adjectives is in order.

Human history is full of such taunts, and often the more absurd and lurid, the harder they are to "lose".

On a baser level and in a more refined and cultured mind, such speech is avoided.

"Them's fighting words." Is certainly germane and likely a bit better than actual fighting.

Are not many political cartoons the visual absurdity that the speech conveys?

Boorish? Yes. But it is certainly insulting, and I believe the point.

FWIW, I never have, and likely never would use that term.
As you stated, so many obvious actions that are relevant which should be pointed out.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lurking for years!
Picture of Vegas_Sig
posted Hide Post
There is more than enough factual policy related items to attack or criticize every politician on without resorting to some personal attack, true or not.

When I see people add the obligatory personal attack I automatically disregard any information presented by that person. Sometimes I do realize our anger gets the better of us....all of us.

Dave
Not a Newbie! Posting on rare occasions, but lurking for years!

Posts: 585 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Are you seriously trying to defend this dementia-addled potato of a so-called President?

There is nothing in my post that defends him. I recommend reading it again, and especially this part:

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Logical thinking is a useful skill even in these times when illogical thinking seems to be becoming so common.

And even if it were true (still waiting for evidence of it), it would be no more applicable to any of the important things that afflict the Nation than the fact that he has a receding hairline. Ted Cruz has gray in his beard; what if every reference to him by the BS media called him “gray beard Cruz”? Would we mock someone for being short or ugly? (Not for long on this forum, fortunately.) What would we think of a leftist who accused Thomas Sowell of being “urine soaked” as a way of attacking his penetrating analyses of racial issues even if he did have incontinence problems?

Again, read it again and think about what you’re really saying—or at least what I said.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vegas_Sig:

There is more than enough factual policy related items to attack or criticize every politician on without resorting to some personal attack.
Yup. Name-calling like this, or distorting somebody's name (like "Bidet" or "Shrillary") to mock him / her, is adolescent behavior and detracts from the facts.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really have a conviction on political name-calling as such, as my view is most of the political class are in it to enrich themselves or their clan. They debase themselves daily and have no shame in doing so, its a means to an end for that group. (For the most part, there are a few good ones)

I do find it curious that the Right polices itself constantly on language or any other issue that its members find lacking in dignity while those who oppose it have absolutely no limits on itself or the tools it uses to gain power.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
We already know there's a wide range of ages on SF. Not surprising that maturity levels vary as well.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:
I do find it curious that the Right polices itself constantly ....

In all seriousness, in general we really are better than they are.

The leadership of the Left has consciously adopted tactics such as deliberate distortions, falsehoods, and attacks on the unimportant personal characteristics of their opponents—all while also accusing us of being the “divisive” ones. And as a consequence their unthinking minions believe that they are also the things to do. On the Right, however, there has been much less of that, and it often leads to frustrations and accusations that our leaders are unwilling to wrestle in the mud as they should. I’m one who would like to see more vigorous attacks from our side, but there are plenty of bases for doing so without resorting to infantile inventions.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
I never took that statement as a dig on us old folks, just a dig @ joe.

Besides, I recall that old phrase,’no matter how much you wiggle and dance, the last few drops fall in your pants.’ If Joe took
a whizz few times a day, he could be “a urine soaked relic.”

Oh well, I’ve got some fish to fry.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In all seriousness, in general we really are better than they are.

Personal insults toward a political opponent are off the table, but questioning our side's maturity or characterizing our side's opinions as infantile are okay (if we don't like the language used). Seems a little odd, no? Big Grin

<><

Posts: 1926 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between the truth—or even sincerely held opinion based on common principles of logic and critical thinking—and pure crass invention.

No?
And if my thinking and comments are just as irrational as those based on fiction, then it just illustrates how irrational thinking begets irrational thinking, and another reason why it should be avoided in the first place. Wink

Added: Although I find the mental imagery of the term slightly repugnant, I would have just accepted its constant use and said nothing if it were true. As I keep saying, if there’s evidence that it’s true, trot it on out for our edification. At that point I’ll just say I still find it repugnant and of no more relevance to the truly serious issues that matter today than what color eyes the man has, but I’ll at least concede that it’s valid.

And if a couple of drops are enough to “soak” someone, it would be interesting to know how large they are. Eek Wink

posted Hide Post
Now we're moving the goal post. Onward, ho!

Edit: So there were a couple edits to the above post after I added my comment here.....for the record, I'm not a fan of the 'lose with dignity' crowd.

Whether those of that ilk are members of my preferred political ideology group or not.

I can only infer that self-righteousness has a dignity all its own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: soflaac,

<><

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
On a baser level and in a more refined and cultured mind, such speech is avoided.

Profanity is the linguistic crutch of an inarticulate motherfucker.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of illogical and irrational posts done in this and other gun boards, a lot of accusations and statements with absolutely no facts backing them up.

I've cut down my posting about some subjects simply because you can't reason with people who don't think logically and instead post emotionally, which is what I'm seeing.

Oh, and let's not forget all the new websites springing up offering up opinion as facts, and they get repeated on gun boards to refute hard data.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I've never used "urine soaked" to describe demented Joe or any of the leftists, because it's not harsh enough. I call them maggots. Of course they're not maggots, but they ARE maggots. Evidence? I don't need no stinking evidence, only illogical emotion. Btw, that double negative is done on purpose, so the grammar Nazis can go ahead and chill. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
they ARE maggots

Now see, that’s my point: Tell the obvious truth and I, anyway, am not going to call you out and object to the characterization or ask for evidence. Wink

Added: As the devil’s or at least the maggots’ advocate, though, I will point out that at one time maggots were reportedly used by a few perceptive doctors to clean up gangrenous wounds because they would eat only the dead flesh. The crowd of which we’re speaking, though, have never provided even such a limited benefit. I would be tempted to call them ticks, except that ticks fall off when they’ve sucked out enough blood to satisfy them.

6.4/93.6

— Plato